Kirkster's Lefty Lounge - Lefties, share your stories.

kirkster57

• Members

i just updated my guitar collection list. i also just refinished a strat in the reddest red i could find (torch red duplicolor).

i've been really stuck on my variax 500 sunburst i got a few months back. with a pod xt live, it has been my workhorse guitar on the gigs. i liked it so much, i bought a red 500 as a backup. i should get it this tuesday/wednesday.

here is a link to my guitar collection jays guitars

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Um, I don't think I introduced myself. My name's Joel and here is my Warmoth Tele. It was put together in 2001.

20050917_188.jpg

I forgot what type of wood was used in the body, but I remember the neck being a birdseye maple. I have a Bill Lawrence pickup in the neck position. I'm not sure if it's the 280 or the 290, I'll have to check the receipt. I swapped the other Bill Lawrence pickup that I had in the bridge position with a Seymour Duncan Lil '59. I loss the twang and character of that traditional Tele bridge sound, but I have a more versitile sound with the '59. I've read a lot of reviews from people who don't like the '59 because of the loss of twang, but it's different. It doesn't have that humbucker sound like that of a Gibson. It's more like a wimpy humpucker. I've also had both of the pots swapped from 250k to 500k. I finally had the intonation set up a couple of weeks ago and now I play this more than the new SG that I bought. I've also installed straplocks and new knobs.

joel

• Members

Hello everyone,

I just found this thread and wanted to say hi. I've been playing left handed since 1992. I just ordered myself a ESP LTD EC1000 deluxe lefty (black cherry), it should be in soon. It's so nice to see that I am not the only one struggling to find a decent guitar to play. Every guitar I have ever owned had to be ordered blind .

I look forward to reading more about all of your guitars.

In 10 years this is what I have:

Charvel 475 Deluxe

Vantage Acoustic (first Acoustic, paid 300 at East Coast Music Mall in 1994)

Martin DC-1E (actually TRIPPED over this in upstate NY, I actually got to play it before purchase, I felt "right handed" for a minute)

ESP LTD EC-1K (waiting for delivery)

• Members

Originally posted by hare.29

Nice finish! You make it look easy. What color was it originally?

it was a very beat up vintage white (yellowed, cracked, chipped)

funny thing is, i bought it on ebay for $75. he described it as a squier. the pics show the mexican neck. so i bid on it. when i got it, it was definately a mexican neck from mid 90s. the body was a 62 reissue made in japan, with 3 piece alder. so i think i got a great deal.

now it looks sweet. plays sweet. sounds sweet.

• Members

thats one flashy guitar brendan. definately would look sharp on stage.

i was trying to get a hotrod modding shop nearby to paint a tele body in a metalflake. problem is, if they know you really want it done, they'll really charge you a lot. if you ask around and dont seem really interested, they'll want to do it just to say they did it.

i'm waiting on another good deal on a tele body so i can get them to flake it for me. they said $100 if i prep it (sand, seal, prime it).

• Members

Originally posted by zaero

Contact the guys at
. I sold my MM Axis SS to them. It was the hardtail model in amber. It was still there a couple of weeks ago when I went to get my Tele rewired.

joel

Cheers for that,what was the condition of it like eg fretwear,dings etc?

Was it the Humbucker version?

Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by Templeton

Cheers for that,what was the condition of it like eg fretwear,dings etc?

Was it the Humbucker version?

Thanks

I bought it new and owned it for about two weeks. The body was colored Amber and it was the version with the humbuckers. If anything, you could email the guys there.

• Members

Originally posted by leftyDaveZ

Hey Jay,

What did you use for taking down the old finish? I am having a heck of a time sanding down an Am Std body I have.

i used a heat gun that i got from walmart for $20 and a putty knife. took less than an hour. i just heated up an area and started scraping. it came right off after about 10 seconds of heat. hardest part was the cutaways. i used a carving knife to get the paint to start chipping and then went back to a putty knife.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lefty_jay/detail?.dir=c8b9re2&.dnm=632ere2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lefty_jay/detail?.dir=c8b9re2&.dnm=cafdre2.jpg&.src=ph

• Members

Originally posted by zaero

I bought it new and owned it for about two weeks. The body was colored Amber and it was the version with the humbuckers. If anything, you could email the guys there.

I've e-mailed to see if he'll ship to the UK but not had a response yet.

How come you got rid of it so quickly?

• Members

I'm just too attached to my tele and didn't get used to how light the Axis was.

• Members

Well he's got back to me and say's he will ship to the UK,just send him postal code and he'll give me a quote,which I did.

That was a week ago and he still hasn't replied,i've sent another email but still no response.

Have you been in his shop recently? Do you know if he still has it in?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived