Kirkster's Lefty Lounge - Lefties, share your stories.

kirkster57

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by leftystratman

actually I'm glad Fender Japan makes lots of lefties, not Fender USA. MIJ Fenders are better made and cheaper!

True, the quality of Fender Japan is high, and their price is very reasonable. Fender USA charges way too much. I guess I just wish it was easier to get FJ guitars. I read somewhere there is an agreement that FJ can't import their guitars to the US except on a single case basis, like a shop can't buy a bunch of them and sell them here, they have to sell each one individually, THEN order and have it shipped here. I don't know if that is true or not, but from the process we have to go through to buy Japanese Fenders, it does seem that this is the case.

By far, Fender Japan is the 'brains' of that company. They are the ones coming up with new stuff that Fender USA then offers at inflated prices and with reduced options. For example, the new Jag Bass. That one was designed in Japan, and I heard FUSA was going to start making them, but in only two colors now. Also, the Jaguar Special, the HH Jag. Was around in Japan for a while, and NOW FUSA brought it out here, at a higher price, and with fewer colors. Its like FUSA wants anything other than Strats and Teles to fail here.

FWIW, my lefty Jag is a MIJ model, and I love the quality of it. There are parts of the design that makes me wonder WTF Leo was thinking, the bridge especially. But with a little tape and rewiring, its a fantastic guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by Pungent

True, the quality of Fender Japan is high, and their price is very reasonable. Fender USA charges way too much. I guess I just wish it was easier to get FJ guitars. I read somewhere there is an agreement that FJ can't import their guitars to the US except on a single case basis, like a shop can't buy a bunch of them and sell them here, they have to sell each one individually, THEN order and have it shipped here. I don't know if that is true or not, but from the process we have to go through to buy Japanese Fenders, it does seem that this is the case.

By far, Fender Japan is the 'brains' of that company. They are the ones coming up with new stuff that Fender USA then offers at inflated prices and with reduced options. For example, the new Jag Bass. That one was designed in Japan, and I heard FUSA was going to start making them, but in only two colors now. Also, the Jaguar Special, the HH Jag. Was around in Japan for a while, and NOW FUSA brought it out here, at a higher price, and with fewer colors. Its like FUSA wants anything other than Strats and Teles to fail here.

FWIW, my lefty Jag is a MIJ model, and I love the quality of it. There are parts of the design that makes me wonder WTF Leo was thinking, the bridge especially. But with a little tape and rewiring, its a fantastic guitar.

yeah, the MIJ necks are excellent, superior to the MIA ones, I know this because I put a neck off a FUSA strat on my project strat (MIJ body), and boy, it feels very wide, great for shredders, but sucks for for ppl with rather small hands. and there's hardly a finish on MIA necks these days.

I read a couple of times that the Fender Japan export guitars are inferior to the domestic models. so I assume what you find here is not as good. but ishibashi sells domestic MIJ Fenders to overseas.

• Members

Im generally left handed, but i've been playing the guitar right handed ever since i started, it just felt more natural. Are there any other lefty's that play right handed and do you think it affects your technique/style at all? My guitar teacher often comments on how i have quite an unorthodox (but not necessarily bad) technique, especially in the way i bend strings and move around whilst soloing.

Thinking about it, the hand you write with is usually your stronger and more sturdy hand, so do people reckon that i am at an advantage to be using this hand on the fretboard rather than to pick/strum?

• Members

Since I found a thread with other lefties, and I've never met another lefty guitarist in person to talk about this with, I'd love to ask everyone here: Are there any guitars you totally lust for and wish were lefty? I know I have a few on my list.

First and foremost, I really wish the Agile Harm semi hollow was available lefty. I've been looking into Agiles since discovering them on this board. I saw one or two I like, but looking at the righty versions and seeing the Harm just makes me wish it wasn't a backwards guitar.

I really hate how Fender doesn't offer crap in lefty, aside from one model of Tele and one Strat. I really wanted to pick up a true Fender Tele, but I hate the maple fretboard on them. They have the Texas Special version that I love, rosewood fretboard, bound body, and of course the Texas Special pups. I know I can order it from Fender Japan, but the cost of shipping it is outrageous. Fender Japan also has a model of Jaguar with bound neck and block inlays that looks fantastic, but again its only righty. I would like to check out the Jaguar Special with hums and TOM bridge, but righty only. I do like their lefty Mustang, I'm just disappointed in the cost of shipping it to me.

I also like that SX stoptail strat copy. I would love to get one of those shortscale SX strats with that fixed tailpiece. I really like 24" scale guitars (hence the love for the 'Stang and Jag). Does Rondo do custom models for nobodies like me?

All in all, its still a much better world in guitars here recently, when I started out 10 years ago lefty anything was rare. I still go into guitar shops and can't play hardly anything they have, except upside down, but thanks to the internet I'm seeing a lot more guitars available to us. Like Eastwood, Agile, SX, Fender Japan, etc. We need to keep bitching as loud as possible and let the manufacturers know we want lefty versions and they can make money from us! Maybe then we will see more of the big guys offering lefty versions.

I was just looking at the Ishibashi site for Japanese Fenders but I didn't see the Fender Tele Texas Special in a lefty. Have you actually seen it before, because I would love to get my hands on one. Also, did they tell you how much it would cost to ship overseas?

• Members

Originally posted by Straightface

I was just looking at the Ishibashi site for Japanese Fenders but I didn't see the Fender Tele Texas Special in a lefty. Have you actually seen it before, because I would love to get my hands on one. Also, did they tell you how much it would cost to ship overseas?

I'm not sure what their store prices are, but you can check out Fender Japan's website.

Fender Japan

• Members

yeah, the MIJ necks are excellent, superior to the MIA ones, I know this because I put a neck off a FUSA strat on my project strat (MIJ body), and boy, it feels very wide, great for shredders, but sucks for for ppl with rather small hands. and there's hardly a finish on MIA necks these days.

I read a couple of times that the Fender Japan export guitars are inferior to the domestic models. so I assume what you find here is not as good. but ishibashi sells domestic MIJ Fenders to overseas.

I was wondering why all the FUSA strats I played had a chunky neck. I also have small hands, I'm a little guy. I got used to the short scale Japanese neck on my Jag quickly because it suits my hands perfectly.

I have not had any success with Ishibashi, I emailed them several times to get a quote on that Tele and a Mustang, never heard back. Guitar Japan appears to handle importing domestic FJ guitars for somewhat reasonable prices, only downside is shipping.

• Members

Originally posted by Straightface

I haven't been able to get any response from Ishibashi. I mentioned Guitar Japan in my last post. Here's the link straight to the Texas Special though:

http://www.guitarjapan.com/fenderjapan/spec_lefthand/tl62b-85tx_l.html

It doesn't say what shipping is, but I've been told its around $120 to ship to the US from Japan.

• Members

I was wondering why all the FUSA strats I played had a chunky neck. I also have small hands, I'm a little guy. I got used to the short scale Japanese neck on my Jag quickly because it suits my hands perfectly.

I have not had any success with Ishibashi, I emailed them several times to get a quote on that Tele and a Mustang, never heard back.
appears to handle importing domestic FJ guitars for somewhat reasonable prices, only downside is shipping.

I wonder if most of the vintage strats have those baseball bat like chunky necks or it's just Fender USA being lazy.

I never bought any guitar from Ishibashi yet, but I exchanged emails with them many times, almost bought a couple of guitars. and I heard lots and lots of good things about them. so I'd say, keep sending them emails.

• Members

I wonder if most of the vintage strats have those baseball bat like chunky necks or it's just Fender USA being lazy.

Ive played Duarte's '63 (upside down of course ;) ) and the neck was small. Perfect for my hands.

the neck on my '65 Esquire is small too. The few other 60's strats ive played had small necks too. Though I hear a lot of 50's strats have thick v necks (like EJ's).

• Members

Depends on the market but plan on around $100 - $110 US

I haven't been able to get any response from Ishibashi. I mentioned Guitar Japan in my last post. Here's the link straight to the Texas Special though:

It doesn't say what shipping is, but I've been told its around $120 to ship to the US from Japan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello fellow southpaws! Thanks for creating this forum. My main guitar is a Tele-copy I put together with Warmoth parts. It's fitted with Bill Lawrence pickups, scratches, and dings. I also have a Squier strat, which is in pieces, but hoping for a comeback, and also a new EBMM Axis SS. The Axis is a great guitar, but I love my Tele more. I have to be EXTRA careful when handling the Axis. I just got the Axis a few weeks ago, but don't play it anymore. Any of you guys interested in buying it? Pics at http://www.channelforemusic.com/sell_axis/

joel

• Members

Who among us "port siders" also have small hands? I find the Strat neck a good fit, but cannot find a Ibanez wizard neck to sample. That finds me left (pun intended) looking at the hordes of Strat copies, but put off about buying online, since the neck dimensions may not be "Strat"-ified. I love mine, but gee, I don't care for tow or more of the same flavor.

• Members

Any of you lefties ever see a tele w/binding? I'm gonna take a wild guess and say no, unless you did it yourself, which brings me to my next question. How tough is it to put binding on a guitar and do you risk ruining the finish? There is a really sweet looking tele, don't remember which one, '50's maybe, that has the binding and a bigsby. I want one so bad, but have never seen a lefty, and probably never will. :mad:

Archived