Inexplicable GAS for a telecaster

Dash4814

• Members

I can't figure this one out. :confused:

I don't like single coils (other than P90s). I especially don't like the sound of a telecaster neck pickup. And lately I've been drawn to Gibsons due to the scale length.

So why am I drooling over telecasters? I know I won't like the sound the minute I plug it in. I tried out four yesterday and didn't like how any of them sounded. But they're so pretty. :love:

Help. :(

• Members

I have no idea why you wouldn't like the pure sound of a Tele but different strokes for different folks. :)

If you like the body shape and appearance, there are certainly P90 and humbucking options available to you. You could snag a Blacktop Tele for a reasonable price and even replace the pickups if they're not completely to your liking. I happen to think EMG's are a crime against nature but if I liked them, I would be playing a Jim Root sig Tele already.

• Members

Here's what you're looking for .... start saving your $$$

Fender Telesonic (not for sale)

Dearmond Pickups (actually a Ric high-gain in the bridge) and Gibby neck scale length.

telesonic.jpg

I picked up a Gretsch Electromatic Jet Jr with two DeArmonds, great vibe, sound, and plank-y goodness! Not a tele, but... -Adam

• Members

I picked up a Gretsch Electromatic Jet Jr with two DeArmonds, great vibe, sound, and plank-y goodness! Not a tele, but... -Adam

I allways thought that those DeArmonds where SC'ers.

They sound very warm and Humbucker-like. Not what i wanted when i nearly bought the Jet Jr.

I was looking for warm-Tele-like tones from that guitar, and sadly did not find it in those pu's :(

• Members

I have the same problem.

There are many things I don't like about the Tele sound, but I love the look of them and the straight forward design.

I even had a Tele copy once that I flipped to buy an amp. I'm glad I did, but every now and then I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it.

• Members

I allways thought that those DeArmonds where SC'ers.

They sound very warm and Humbucker-like. Not what i wanted when i nearly bought the Jet Jr.

I was looking for
warm-Tele-like
tones from that guitar, and sadly did not find it in those pu's
:(

Hmm, interesting! Mine seem very single coiley and twangy, also it's a set neck compared to the bolt on necks. Still not a tele, but it was $300 compared to big $ for a Telesonic! I do want one of those Squier P90 deluxes though. -Adam

• Members

Hmm, interesting! Mine seem very single coiley and twangy, also it's a set neck compared to the bolt on necks. Still not a tele, but it was $300 compared to big $ for a Telesonic! I do want one of those Squier P90 deluxes though. -Adam

Ahhhh, my brother just reminded me, the one we tested at the time, was a Special Jet w. DeArmond 2000 pick ups, dont know if they are the same as what you have.

SH_Gretsch_specjetSB_m.jpg

Very, very humbucker like.

Still, thinking back, i should have bough it, asi bought an Epi LP instead (sold it since).

Would have still had this one though :cry:

• Members

It seems obvious to me the OP has simply fallen for the shape of the tele without the traditional pickup configuration. The good news is there have been multiple variants offered through the years that would fit the bill...even some with a gibby scale length. :thu:

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post

Ahhhh, my brother just reminded me, the one we tested at the time, was a Special Jet w. DeArmond 2000 pick ups, dont know if they are the same as what you have.

SH_Gretsch_specjetSB_m.jpg

Very, very humbucker like.

Still, thinking back, i should have bough it, as i bought an Epi LP instead (sold it since).

Would have still had this one though

I have a Special Jet, and these are really cool, basically an inexpensive Dynasonic-type pickup option in a slab body, instead of the boxes they usually come on. They DO NOT sound like P-90's-- the guy in the video is confusing them with DeArmond 2K's (they do look the same) that came on DeArmond guitars made by Guild/Fender. Sfaik Gretsch has discontinued the Special Jet. Mine's not going anywhere if I can help it.

94152145_373b9f3161_b.jpg

briankrashpadspecialjet.jpgGretschP1170079.JPG

Got mine for $235 on ebay.

Now, back to Telecasters.

• Members

Teles are funny things.

The neck pickup is single coil tubey perfection. The bridge; twang-city. Together? A compressed rhythm mix. Twiddle the knobs and you get a sweep of tones. The single-cut body shape makes Strats look like posers. The traditional 7.5 neck-radius shouldn't work, but it does.

And yet, I've seen and not played (slightly more than) a handful that were perfection for action and tone. And yet, I've never played one that gave that combination back to me. A traditional tele is in my future, and I'll spring for it when I have it in my hands, but I haven't found it yet.

• Members

I am not a Fender guy especially - not a single coil guys especially. But I got some gas for a tele. I got this Peavey Reactor. I'm glad I got it. If you are thinking of a Squire. I really recommend looking at a MIA Peavey Reactor. You can get them very reasonable. Here is mine...

REACTOR1.JPG

REACTOR2.JPG

REACTOR3.JPG

Archived