Good guitar that can be upgraded, or grow with you?

skdmrklcy

• Members

Epiphone has was too many models of Les Paul... and like six versions of each it makes my head hurt.

It is good to know that most of the choices out there are pretty standard. I am going to go out on my lunch hour tomorrow and see what I can find.

• Members

If I can persuade ye, I'd suggest looking for a semi-hollow 335-type. They seem to be extremely versatile. I've never played anything that mine can't at
least
do 'pretty well' on.

Would that be something like the Epiphone Dot? I do like them but was unsure if there was much you could do to them. The higher end ones are just way over budget.

• Members
Godin makes great guitars around your price range that are well built from factory and also make great modding platforms.

THis is a great suggestion. Remarkably well-made guitars, and not just for the price. I still can't quite figure how they do it, though their recent prices seem to be creeping a bit upward. Wonder if the word i finally starting to get around...

• Members

Would that be something like the Epiphone Dot? I do like them but was unsure if there was much you could do to them. The higher end ones are just way over budget.

A Dot would be fine. I've had my eye on modding a good solid Epiphone Dot Studio even (love their simplicity).

Sheratons (which are prettied-up Dots), can be found used for a good price some places.

Like I said in an earlier post, as long as the platform is solid, is holding together well, and the neck feels good; it's a good candidate.

• Members

You know, possibly this Hamer might be a good bet. I was tempted myself, but I already have so many guitars that buying another to mod just would be another indication of mental instability for me, but for something like you're looking for and having most likely well under dozens of guitars - give this one a look

http://www.amazon.com/Sunburst-Archtop-Flametop-Electric-Guitar/dp/tech-data/B004611H4M

I think they'd be a really nice platform for modding and will look like you paid a lot more for it than you would by jumping on this deal. Only 2 left.

• Members
Epiphone has was too many models of Les Paul... and like six versions of each it makes my head hurt.

It is good to know that most of the choices out there are pretty standard. I am going to go out on my lunch hour tomorrow and see what I can find.

It seems to me like you'd like an Epi LP of some kind. I won't dissuade you. Although there isn't an absolutely perfect agreement, Epi Les Pauls are generally considered to be a good value for the money. They are a good modding platform or, if you decide not to go that way, are still good stock. I owned an Epi Les Paul Standard for many years when I was younger and enjoyed it tremendously.

There do seem to be a lot to choose from but the basics are always the same.

You've got your Standard, which is the "core" Les Paul and the one I'd recommend. It has a thicker body with binding, trap fretboard inlays and a really typical LP tone.

Then there's the Studio, which is cheaper because it has a thinner body and no binding. People might tell you it sounds differently but it will still get you into LP territory. It's a good model for novices.

I think there is a cheaper model called the LP 100 but I've heard about quality issues with those models... problems with tuning stability and whatnot. I'd try to spend a bit more.

If you can afford a level up from the Standard, you could get a Custom, which has block inlays and is instantly recognizable by the stylized Gibson Custom logo on the headstock and gold hardware.

Everything else is either a spinoff of these models or a signature model. For example, the Les Paul Ultra is basically like a Standard, except it has a lighter, chambered body... the Black Beauty is a black Custom that has three pickups, etc, etc. As you could imagine, there are a hundred different variations on this basic theme but the core models are standardized. Hope this helps. :)

• Members

Never owned a Gibson or Epiphone so I can't comment on them, but my Ibanez RG I've changed just about everything on and it is the guitar I play the most of my three. Neck is nice and the feel is solid. Only gripe is that if you get really involved in matching the string radius to the radius of the neck you may need to get/make shorter screws.

If you want extreme "modability" you might look at something with a removable pick guard, as you would be able to change between humbuckers and single coil pickups easily. For $500 you can get practically anything though if you look around. Try stuff out and find what suits you.

• Members

I really like some Ibanez and Jacksons but they seem a bit to aggressive in looks for what I want. I suppose that is all in the mind anyway. I do know to avoid a Floyd Rose after watching what it takes to restring it.

The local GC has a ESP/LTD EC 40Something and a MIM 60s Reissue/Vintage Tele both on clearance for some reason for around my budget. I looked at the Tele last time and could find no issues, the ESP/LTD I just glanced at so it may be beat up. They also had a Road Worn Strat used...how can you tell... for around my budget that felt great. I think it would look off though if you changed any of it.

If neither of those do it for me I am going to look around and see what pops up in the next few weeks.

• Members

I have to warn you though, for some people... once you start modding guitars... it's hard to stop! :p You'll be looking at any old cheapie no-name banger in a pawn shop wondering "Hmm... I betcha I could polish that turd..." At least, that's what I do sometimes...

• Members

The EC is ESP/LTD's version of the Les Paul. If you're up in the air about whether you want a Les Paul style or a Tele style, you should do your homework and think long and hard because those are very different instruments. They don't feel the same and humbuckers produce guitar tones very unlike single coils (sorry if this is already apparent, it's worth restating). Both can be used for pretty much anything but the way they go about getting the job done is different.

• Members

There has been alot of good suggestions given in this thread all ready. I would suggest that you make a list of your favourite bands, or guitarists that you want to sound like. You could then post them here and we could advise you the best guitar to get you in the ball park. It's also worth mentioning that Fenders are alot easier to mod than Gibsons/Epi. You can fit a humbucker on a strat but you can't fit a single coil on a Les Paul.

Finally, I'd advise you to buy second hand. You will get a better guitar for the money. Decide what type of guitar you want. Find a shop that has them. Play every one until you feel comfortable with one. Buy it.
:thu:

• Members

If you like SGs dont overlook the Epi G400. Solid players.
Havnt played one but the HB equiped blacktop series from Fender looks nice too.

Really the only beef I have with the standard Epi humbucking pickups is they tend to get muddy pretty quickly when you roll back the vol from wide open.
But I still manged to gig with a stock Epi LP Custom for a couple of years with no real problems.
I just kept the vol pot wide open and used a pedal for a solo boost.

• Members
It seems to me like you'd like an Epi LP of some kind. I won't dissuade you. Although there isn't an absolutely perfect agreement, Epi Les Pauls are generally considered to be a good value for the money. They are a good modding platform or, if you decide not to go that way, are still good stock. I owned an Epi Les Paul Standard for many years when I was younger and enjoyed it tremendously.

There do seem to be a lot to choose from but the basics are always the same.

You've got your
Standard
, which is the "core" Les Paul and the one I'd recommend. It has a thicker body with binding, trap fretboard inlays and a really typical LP tone.

Then there's the
Studio
, which is cheaper because it has a thinner body and no binding. People might tell you it sounds differently but it will still get you into LP territory. It's a good model for novices.

I think there is a cheaper model called the
LP 100
but I've heard about quality issues with those models... problems with tuning stability and whatnot. I'd try to spend a bit more.

If you can afford a level up from the Standard, you could get a
Custom
, which has block inlays and is instantly recognizable by the stylized Gibson Custom logo on the headstock and gold hardware.

Everything else is either a spinoff of these models or a signature model. For example, the
Les Paul Ultra
is basically like a Standard, except it has a lighter, chambered body... the
Black Beauty
is a black Custom that has three pickups, etc, etc. As you could imagine, there are a hundred different variations on this basic theme but the core models are standardized. Hope this helps.
:)

I am actually intrigued by the 1960 Les Paul Tribute. Slim taper neck, 14" radius, Gibson '57 pickups, coil tapping, locking tuners, straplocks. I just don't want to spend $799 for one. Maybe MF will have another 15-20% off sale soon.

• Members

I actually posted a new thread but I took home the ESP/LTD EC-401VF that was on clearance.

I am now not so sure if I want to keep it. I like the pickups it has but I know I want different ones down the road anyway so I am not sure how important that really is. Next I really dislike the compensated nut after figuring out what it is supposed to do (which it doesn't really do all that well) and comparing it to my acoustic with a normal nut. The three way is also very grindy going down, but not up... go figure. I could replace the nut and the switch, but don't want to really mess with it now. For some reason the model on the 12th Fret is kind of annoying as well, but that is just being picky.

If it goes back I am going to look at some Fender options but they all had sharp fret ends. Even some of the higher dollar Americans. They did have a PRS Singlecut which was tempting, very Les Paul Shape only Thinner. I did like some of the Epiphone stuff as well but they didn't have the Standards only the Plus Standard and the Lower end. I think all the options are good and at this point it is just what clicks. I actually have the LTD with me hear at work to look at while I try to decide what to do, see if it has the power to make me love it and forgive the minor issues I have with it.

• Members

The Fender MIM and higher end Epiphones are a good bet, but I'd also look at the Xaviere and Agile stuff. Xaviere's 3/4" maple caps on mahogany for the LP's are very nice compared to a lot of the 1/16" veneers of cheaper Agiles and other imports. And the bridges on their Strats and Teles are really solid looking.

Archived