Need a new Computer....

• Members

Wed. of last week was VERY strange. I own two computers, one which I used for video mastering (mainly copying customer's 8mm home films to dvd), and another used for VHS or other tapes to DVD and full audio productions, often live recording of bands. It's not something that I make a fortune at, but it is something that I very much enjoy. Last Tues morning one of them broke (the audio unit) and I plugged in the other to try it. IT also broke. I called a tech to look at the audio one, he arrived on Wed. and he said it was gone. That afternoon my brother called from Minnesota (me in Florida). He said that my conversation made NO sense and that I should go to the hospital. I drove there and they sent me to emergency. I ended up staying there a week and having a stone larger than a golf ball removed from my brain. :facepalm: I was never in pain and released this past Wed. Monday and Tues I go in for a discussion of whatever happened and caused this mess on my part. I just plan to continue on no matter what the future is. My computers are both deceased and it is time to replace the audio unit, and eventually the film unit. I use a rack full of Digimax FS and Firestudios for recording. I also have an ART Digital MPA stereo preamp, DBX Digimax Driverack PX that I have used a couple of times for sound reinforcement. You can see a picture of my rack at my site. I am addicted to Reaper for recording software (works great for me). My old computer is a Compaq AY747AAR#ABA and it worked GREAT when it worked. Any suggestions. It's nice to be back here after over a week, even though I am having to use a VERY old laptop computer for current communicating.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wed. of last week was VERY strange. I own two computers, one which I used for video mastering (mainly copying customer's 8mm home films to dvd), and another used for VHS or other tapes to DVD and full audio productions, often live recording of bands. It's not something that I make a fortune at, but it is something that I very much enjoy. Last Tues morning one of them broke (the audio unit) and I plugged in the other to try it. IT also broke. I called a tech to look at the audio one, he arrived on Wed. and he said it was gone. That afternoon my brother called from Minnesota (me in Florida). He said that my conversation made NO sense and that I should go to the hospital. I drove there and they sent me to emergency. I ended up staying there a week and having a stone larger than a golf ball removed from my brain.
:facepalm:
I was never in pain and released this past Wed. Monday and Tues I go in for a discussion of whatever happened and caused this mess on my part. I just plan to continue on no matter what the future is. My computers are both deceased and it is time to replace the audio unit, and eventually the film unit. I use a rack full of Digimax FS and Firestudios for recording. I also have an ART Digital MPA stereo preamp, DBX Digimax Driverack PX that I have used a couple of times for sound reinforcement. You can see a picture of my rack at my site. I am addicted to Reaper for recording software (works great for me). My old computer is a Compaq AY747AAR#ABA and it worked GREAT when it worked. Any suggestions. It's nice to be back here after over a week, even though I am having to use a VERY old laptop computer for current communicating.

Richard,

First off, glad you`re back. What the heck was growing in your head? Hope all comes to pass.

I`m an Apple user for the last 11 years so take it or leave it but I find the iMacs to be a pretty darn good deal for video and audio. I use a G5 which is still kicking after replacing the HD last year but it gets the job done.

If you can lay out the cash, my vote would be a MAC PRO.

Keep rocking mate,

EB

• Members

Richard you sound pretty good for a guy that just had a golf ball size mass removed from his brain. I hope all will be well with you. If you lived nearby I would try and help you. I just sold a motherboard on Ebay. I have another but it isn't as fast. What was the speed of your old computer?

Dan

• Members

Don't know what was growing in my head, but I have an appointment on Monday to learn what it was and what possible result is. I'll just proceed with whatever it is. I have a house here for sale, one of my two, that I have been advertising for $599,999. I dropped it this weekend to $459,000 which hopefully will allow me to do whatever I want now. I'm loosing a bundle, but I don't care anymore. If it goes soon I may just look at an Apple and a more standard just to learn. I need something very soon though and will have to buy a Microsoft based one first. I appreciate the comments.

• Members

Richard you sound pretty good for a guy that just had a golf ball size mass removed from his brain. I hope all will be well with you. If you lived nearby I would try and help you. I just sold a motherboard on Ebay. I have another but it isn't as fast. What was the speed of your old computer?

Dan

Appreciate the comments. I may just look into a new motherboard. Of course that would require new Windows also. I don't know the specific speed, but it was a 4 channel chip and a large memory and worked very well for live recording which is something that I love doing, but never make a living at. I would like to fix that a bit. The machine worked very well when it worked. I would like to load the car, tour the country and record a good band or two in each state, spending a few days getting product done and, hopefully, paid. Imagine a set of CD's with a couple of songs from different bands doing originals and selling them to their audience. Variety is a good thing.

• Members

Richard - first of all, about the thing in your brain... holy crap! :eek: :eek: :eek: Sure glad you came through that OK and I hope it turns out to be nothing serious in the long run.

Second... if it'll help, I recently put together a new computer for a DAW, and am very happy with the performance and the price (and I'm a Reaper user as well, as you probably know). Here are all the components I got:

Antec Sonata case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129057

Antec 650W power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

Intel i7-2600 Sandy Bridge processor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115071

Gigabyte motherboard (these feature the Texas Instruments Firewire chips which are compatible with the majority of pro audio interfaces):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128475

EVGA Graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

GSKILL RAM (8 GB)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Added a couple of Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS DVD drive and Windows 7-64 bit, and I've got a rock solid, quiet DAW. :thu: And it couldn't have been easier to put together - that job keeps getting easier every time I build a new computer.

Hope you find something that works for you!

• Members

That doesn't look bad at all. I could probably use the 6G memory that I have in the deceased computer. I haven't done an assembly project in years, but this doesn't look too bad, could only getting to to run to cause problems. TI Firewire is VITAL. How long an assembly was it for you? I have an old, unused, Cooler Master case that I might be able to use. It's nice for portable because of a nice handle and COVER on the power button.

I do an occasional 8mm film transfer for a customer that may not work with current Windows, so I may need to research a bit for a second machine. This system and software uses 2 hard drives as though they were one for the film transfer.

• Members

Assembly took about 2 hours, and probably could've been done in less, but I took my time. That Cooler Master case sounds like the ticket. I would make sure the RAM from your old machine was compatible with the new one, but otherwise seems like you could have yourself a nice new machine for very little $$.

• Members

Taking the time is a good idea in assembly. For some reason one of my computers, the old one, is working at the moment, but I'm going to probably order the new one taking your comments tomorrow and assemble in on arrival. If the case I have works, which I am somewhat worried about, I'll be in good shape. I can't find literature on the model anywhere, including on Cooler Master sight. If not good I'll order another case. The one broke is the one that I have been using for local recording, sometimes I even get paid. ;) I hope data is still on the drive, but, I don't trust much. Had all (a bunch of) stitches removed from my head today and thinking of shaving the head tomorrow so left and right match. That should be funny.

• Members

Thanks much Jeff. Treatment starts Jul 11, radiation and chemical. It may work, it may not. I won't know for a while. Either way I need a computer so why not do it right? At this point I refuse to allow this to slow me down from anything. Power supply ordered was canaceled by supplier for some reason, just ordered again elsewhere. Everything is on order and shipping tomorrow. I look forward to giving it a shot. It should be interesting putting it all together and making it work. Time to shave the head. ;)

• Members

Power supply is sold out, so I found it elsewhere and made it the first order there. Now, on to the others.
;)
All others are on order now and arriving in 3 days. This should be fun.

Have fun building your new PC, but if you really liked the old one you could also replace the motherboard with one just like it off of eBay and use it too (If it

• Members

I had written a reply earlier that somehow got eaten by the SSS dog.

Coincidentally built the almost identical system that Lee did (and you're buying the parts for). Works great. And I'm running finicky peripherals (UAD 1 & 2, TC Powercore and MR816X firewire interface).

One warning - do NOT install the Gigabyte utilities. If you take the defaults when you install the drivers, you could end up with the utilities as well. There's one particularly evil one called EasyTuneV that plays havoc with some audio interfaces - sends the DPC latency through the roof. Took me hours to figure that one out. You can tell that you have it installed if you see a process running called GUI.exe (G in this case is Gigabyte).

And Richard - best of luck in the treatment. Health is precious.

js

• Members

I understand and applaud that. Still, if there's anything you can do that will better your chances of having a complete recovery, I hope you're following doc's orders.

Every word. Time to take 3 pills. Thanks.

There is a local band who called me last week while still in the hospital that wants to start recording an album in under 2 weeks. I own a commercial building that is 1 of 12 occupied (it was destroyed in Hurricane Jeanne in 2004 and the economy is horrible here) and I'll use one of the open 1150 square foot, 29x40 spaces (about an 18' ceiling) with close micing for the project. I'll probably build a couple of barriers in the process for isolation. I gave them a great deal for the experience and to get the name out there a bit and really looking forward to working on it if all works well.

• Members

I had written a reply earlier that somehow got eaten by the SSS dog.

Coincidentally built the almost identical system that Lee did (and you're buying the parts for). Works great. And I'm running finicky peripherals (UAD 1 & 2, TC Powercore and MR816X firewire interface).

One warning - do NOT install the Gigabyte utilities. If you take the defaults when you install the drivers, you could end up with the utilities as well. There's one particularly evil one called EasyTuneV that plays havoc with some audio interfaces - sends the DPC latency through the roof. Took me hours to figure that one out. You can tell that you have it installed if you see a process running called GUI.exe (G in this case is Gigabyte).

And Richard - best of luck in the treatment. Health is precious.

js

Thanks for the comments. Mine will be used with Reaper software and Presonus Firestudio, Presonus Digimax FS and ART Digital MPA. I actually have two Firestudios and one FX and would rather have the other choice. I've done some location recording that has worked out fairly well using this gear. Glad to hear there's some experience here putting this together, should be interesting. I'll keep in mind the Gigabye utilities, whatever that might be. ;)

• Members

Oh yeah, I should've mentioned what js1 did about the Gigabyte utilities. They're on a disk that comes with the board. That EasyTune is a resource hogging piece of crap! Luckily, I tried installing it AFTER I'd already gotten everything else working, so when my latency suddenly went through the roof and my interface drivers started complaining, it was easy to guess what the culprit was. :lol:

• Members

Oh yeah, I should've mentioned what js1 did about the Gigabyte utilities. They're on a disk that comes with the board. That EasyTune is a resource hogging piece of crap! Luckily, I tried installing it AFTER I'd already gotten everything else working, so when my latency suddenly went through the roof and my interface drivers started complaining, it was easy to guess what the culprit was.
:lol:

Oh, I meant to ask you, Lee... why did you buy a video card, and not use the built in video of the motherboard? The I2600 has a separate GPU so the video doesn't impact main processor performance. Works great for me with dual monitors.

js

• Members

Everything is scheduled to arrive on Wed coming up. Should be interesting. With the video card I could, if I wanted to, plug it into the back of the front projector in my living room and have videos, etc. on a 98" screen. Could be interesting, maybe.

• Members

The motherboard I got doesn't have onboard video. I prefer to choose my own.

Your earlier post said that the board was an GA-H67A-UD3H-B3. Same one that I have (which does have video). Anyways, no biggie, just curious.

js

• Members

Your earlier post said that the board was an GA-H67A-UD3H-B3. Same one that I have (which does have video). Anyways, no biggie, just curious.

Sorry, I was in a hurry. I meant it doesn't have its own video chipset, and I prefer to choose my own. The benchmarks seem mixed on the graphics built into the CPU - seems to do well for video rendering but I don't quite think it's up to par in terms of graphics performance. In my experience, having a high end graphics card does tend to increase DAW performance and stability anyway. Maybe that's not so true now with the 2600, but I'm not quite ready to take that chance yet. Besides, I also use the machine for 3D design, we'll use it for our Second Life broadcasts, etc. so I don't think I can go wrong having "too much" GPU.

Archived