Ebay Fail - 2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded for only $250 (Buy it now price)

fu2jobu

• Members

Well, I like to report activity that goes against policies. I mean, if I see someone breaking in a house, I would call the police - even if they break into a millionaire's house. You could use the same argument, the millionaire (ebay) will not miss anything important, or maybe the guy who is stealing is poor (ebay user), he needs the money. Breaking a policy/law is illegal, and it is our (civic) duty to report it.

I have a neighbor that just moved a week or so ago. They are in the process of selling the house but I knew the settlement isn't until the end of the month. I also new the people that are buying it had been putting pressure on the seller to get into the house before settlement but the seller wasn't giving in. I come home Monday night and see a car in the driveway I don't recognize and the lights in the house are on. Guess I'm a bad neighbor for calling the seller just to let them know what was going on.

• Members

really, Am I that bad of a person for reporting something illegal???

:idk:

No, you did the right thing. For me personally I don't trust buying from a guy that's knowingly trying to trick the system. I mean it's not a huge deal but someone that can justify not following the rules I worry about how honest he would be in describing the guitar.

• Members

Nothing wrong with the auction. Sure it is against ebay policy, but so is adding in other keywords to the title (ex. NEW fender telecaster gibson), something many people do. I would never report another person for trying to save on fees from a gigantic corporation

Do you think shoplifting is okay, it the corporation is big enough?

• Members

I understand tthat ebay fees are outrageous, but that doesn't mean we should do that... he is out of line, and if he doesn't have the right of doing that....

if you don't like ebay fees (talking in general, not to you guitarman3001), don't use ebay.

I don't use eBay for selling anymore... can't deal with the fees. For buying it's fine, if I can find a deal.

• Members

How is that illegal?

Maybe I am using the wrong term, but they are breaking a policy/rule/ebay law, which any other ebay user is bounded to follow. Why is it ok for someone to bend the rule to avoid fees? If I use the system I have to pay for it, like it or not. If I do not want to pay, I use craigslist or other method. If this is ok for you, THEN EVERYBODY should do the same....

• Members

Whether you like the fees or not is irrelevant . . . if there's a problem with the guitar, he's only obligated to refund the purchase price, not shipping.

You're screwed if you decide to return the guitar for say a twisted neck or something of the sort.

• Members

Nothing wrong with the auction. Sure it is against ebay policy, but so is adding in other keywords to the title (ex. NEW fender telecaster gibson), something many people do. I would never report another person for trying to save on fees from a gigantic corporation

I love this attitude. The guy benefits from the exposure of his guitar to millions of potential customers and the higher price he will get for his guitar as a result, he benefits from the protection ebay offers, he agreed to pay the price for the exposure and the protection, but hey, it is perfectly OK for him to act like a weasel and try to get out of paying what he agreed to pay because he is welshing on a deal with "a giant corporation." It is now OK to reneg on deals if you don't like who you're dealing with? So if I reneg on a deal with some guy I don't like it is OK, because I don't like him? Or can I only do this with companies? How big a company does it need to be for it to be acceptable for me to act like a dick?

• Members

I love this attitude. The guy benefits from the exposure of his guitar to millions of potential customers and the higher price he will get for his guitar as a result, he benefits from the protection ebay offers, he agreed to pay the price for the exposure and the protection, but hey, it is perfectly OK for him to act like a weasel and try to get out of paying what he agreed to pay because he is welshing on a deal with "a giant corporation." It is now OK to reneg on deals if you don't like who you're dealing with? So if I reneg on a deal with some guy I don't like it is OK, because I don't like him? Or can I only do this with companies? How big a company does it need to be for it to be acceptable for me to act like a dick?

You should work for ticketmaster

• Members

Do you think shoplifting is okay, it the corporation is big enough?

You bring up a good point, and the answer is no. I guess it has something to do with the anonymity of the internet, and lack of severity of the "crime". The worst ebay will ever do is close an auction, which you have to relist. Shoplifting is a serious crime which would involve police, personal record, maybe even fines or jail time. The reason ebay's punishment is less, is because the crime is much less. I would equate shoplifting to stealing credit card numbers and buying stuff on ebay, something I would never do. Would I try to use an expired coupon in a store? You bet your ass I would. Have I downloaded songs in the past without paying anything? Hell yes. Would I go into best buy and lift a cd? Hell no

• Members

You bring up a good point, and the answer is no. I guess it has something to do with the anonymity of the internet, and lack of severity of the "crime". The worst ebay will ever do is close an auction, which you have to relist. Shoplifting is a serious crime which would involve police, personal record, maybe even fines or jail time. The reason ebay's punishment is less, is because the crime is much less. I would equate shoplifting to stealing credit card numbers and buying stuff on ebay, something I would never do. Would I try to use an expired coupon in a store? You bet your ass I would. Have I downloaded songs in the past without paying anything? Hell yes. Would I go into best buy and lift a cd? Hell no

I'm not talking about the consequences. You implied that using ebay without paying their fees was okay, which is essentially theft of services, much like hooking into your neighbor's cable TV. I was just wondering if you make a distinction between theft of goods and theft of services.

Theft of services is a crime. Ebay doesn't set the punishment. That's up to local lawmakers. Ebay just decides that it doesn't want to go to the trouble of prosecuting, but if they did, I believe you'd find the law would be on their side.

• Members

No, you did the right thing. For me personally I don't trust buying from a guy that's knowingly trying to trick the system. I mean it's not a huge deal but someone that can justify not following the rules I worry about how honest he would be in describing the guitar.

Yea, it is a slippery slope. If you're willing to put one over on an "evil corporation," who's to say you're not gonna try to pull a fast one on me?

• Members

So the risk of punishment is the only thing that keeps you from shoplifting. Otherwise, as long as the risk of getting caught is low you're cool with it. In case you hadn't noticed, it's still theft, even if you don't get caught. You then have to go through life knowing that you're a thief. Some people have found a way to be cool with that though, usually blaming "the man" or "evil huge corporations".

Your conscience must be proud of you.:facepalm:

• Members

Why would you complain about having to do the job you are paid to do?

I work with people that complain about having to do the job they're paid for all the time. They have to be there anyway. What's the big deal with filling the time with the things you're supposed to be doing?

• Members

I dont agree with the $500 shipping, although thats now changed if you look again! So that is wrong. He's trying to evade ebay fees obviously, but its not the best way. The best way to do that is simple. List your items - with NO BUY IT NOW. Then after 6 days pull your auction and if your have left your phone no. or email address details in your listing and you have serious bidders/watchers who were going to buy they will contact you privately and then you deal outside of ebay.

I buy on ebay far more than I sell but it does irk me how GREEDY ebay has got in the last couple of years. They are ALL FOR THE BUYER and do little for the sellers who make them their massive profits.

Forcing Paypal on sellers I dont agree with or think is fair. Why did they do that? For buyer protection? Or for more $$ profits? How many emails have I had from ebay suggesting I insist on Paypal ONLY as means of payment! Why?? Cos they make money on that! Maximise THEIR PROFITS. Can a seller leave neg feedback on a bad buyer? Not anymore. How fair is that? I do understand that sellers would often retaliate to buyers that left neg feedback and had this happen to myself once but the current system is less fair! My neg feedback from the crooked seller was removed from my feedback because ebay could see this seller had done this with loads of others who had left them bad feedback for I guess same reasons I did. What annoyed though was I noticed they removed my neg feedback (which was justified) from the seller also. Not impressed.

Another thing that for me proves ebay is greedy and driven by profit$ is when you report a fake Gibson or similar. You get an automated email telling you how they take it very seriously and will deal with it swiftly....but nothing ever happens! I've done this on many occasions and have given up now. You try to get a fake taken down to protect the gullible and ignorants of this world and ebay doesnt do a tap. They talk it but dont walk it. I know this for a fact from first hand experience.

So when someone gets away with ebay fees by doing the trick I mentioned above I say good luck to them!:thu:

Archived