Let's talk abt your recent cheapies that surprised U w more bang 4/buck than expected

GAS Man

• Members

non of my gear cost over 200 bucks for any of them.. and im able to get what i need from them as far as tone playability, enjoyment.. but i do believe that this guitar bought new for 25 bucks +20 for the buff pups.. is about as cheap as i can possible go.. and it amazes me every time i play it..

the 25 buck jay turser made for canada.. 62 strat copy..

5343419323_ea19e39778_z.jpg

at the moment its my number one guitar.. but since we are allowed more then one entry.

5325429467_7d63b425c1_b.jpg

not a one of them a clunker... not to my ears at least.. all well playable..

just a great guitar.. mho.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The biggest surprise for me (although not a recent purchase) was my Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass. That thing is on par with some of my favorite basses that I have had over the years which include a '71 Gibson EB-3, '85 Ric 4003 and an '86 Ibanez Musician. It is beast.

11-01-2009_Olympus089-1.jpg

• Members

I haven't touched my MIM '69 Thinline RI since I got my Xaviere JT-100. Nor have I cranked up the AC15 since I got my Mustang II...nor pulled out the RAT or DMM...just using my EHX Germanium4BigMuff for OD and fuzz. I've been into vintage instrumental rock (Shadows, Ventures, etc) and this rig gets me there in a big way. The pickups on the Xaviere are the real deal (especially the neck) and the Fender models on the Mustang, as we know, are pure aural sex. So much fun. Once I got the trem worked out, it even holds its tuning with some real abuse of the arm.

IMG_0568.jpg

I've been eying those jazzmaster copies for a while now, but I've remained skeptical because of the price... does the trem work pretty well? or does it have a tendency to go out of tune easily? And how's the neck feel?

• Members

I've been eying those jazzmaster copies for a while now, but I've remained skeptical because of the price... does the trem work pretty well? or does it have a tendency to go out of tune easily? And how's the neck feel?

The neck is great if you like glossy, thick vintage-y Fender necks. Frets and everything are nice on mine.

Took awhile to get the trem set up right, I had to use my Dremel to grind down the front side of the cavity because it was catching on it, but once I did, its very smooth and stays in tune very well. Even the stock tuners have a nice feel to them. Definitely worth the cash.

• Members

Ok, great gear on the cheap has my attention, and devotion. Intercepted a sk8ter dude on his way into a pawn shop carrying these...

ngd.jpg

I waited three minutes. Ten dollars more than the shop would give, got. Investment $60. After another oh, say $150, and a fair amount of elbow grease, they became these...

The 12" Vox tweedfinder, (varnished upholstery fabric) and the Golden turdcaster, (bargain bin rattle can job with dragonfire pups, bridge replaced, neck shim, bone nut, DIY levelling and fret crown/polish).

layingonvox.jpg

clearingheadstocks.jpg

also added a new footswitch from a busted $5 marshall off the 'bay.

footswitch-1.jpg

you say tremolo, I say tremelo :facepalm:

Recently, I was very surprised with the out-of-the-box playability and quality of this Austin ($240). Mods are planned, right now I'm just enjoying it quite a lot, completely as is.

als255frontmed.jpg:cool:

• Members

I've had a lot of cheapies and several nicer guitars. I'd have to say based on a cost/use basis, a 1994 Korean Squier Bullet was my best buy.

I bought it locally from a forum member via eBay before we knew each other on here. Put about five different sets of pickups in it, basically using it as a testbed, deciding which nicer guitar would get an incoming set. At different points, it had the stock pickups, 57/62s, Duncan SSL2s, Duncan Antiquities and Rose Buffs. As this was usually the guitar with my newest set of pickups, it saw a LOT of play time. I'd have to say without a doubt that over the last 4 years, it logged the most play time and it only cost $88.

I sold it just before Christmas as the beginning of a sell off. I sort of have my strat situation sorted out so I am not likely to buy any new strats or strat pickups anytime soon, so off it went.

Here it is in final form... OLD parchment guard, Rose Buff pickups:

DSC_6646a1.jpg

• Members

I very nearly bought one of these, but the price seemed out of line, and I couldn't figure out what the catch was. Felt good, seemed well made, sounded great. So tell me, what's the catch?

DSCF0422.jpg

I just got this Epiphone Dot Studio for $239 plus tax. It's a great guitar.

• Members

I've had a lot of cheapies and several nicer guitars. I'd have to say based on a cost/use basis, a 1994 Korean Squier Bullet was my best buy.

I bought it locally from a forum member via eBay before we knew each other on here. Put about five different sets of pickups in it, basically using it as a testbed, deciding which nicer guitar would get an incoming set. At different points, it had the stock pickups, 57/62s, Duncan SSL2s, Duncan Antiquities and Rose Buffs. As this was usually the guitar with my newest set of pickups, it saw a LOT of play time. I'd have to say without a doubt that over the last 4 years, it logged the most play time and it only cost $88.

I sold it just before Christmas as the beginning of a sell off. I sort of have my strat situation sorted out so I am not likely to buy any new strats or strat pickups anytime soon, so off it went.

Here it is in final form... OLD parchment guard, Rose Buff pickups:

DSC_6646a1.jpg

Love it! Teh color... the faded pick guard...sweet

Archived