Let's talk abt your recent cheapies that surprised U w more bang 4/buck than expected

GAS Man

• Members

IMG_2322.jpg

Scored this for $120 out the door after trading in a PreSonus TubePre ($40 credit). I played it without even plugging it in assuming that the pickups would be garbage and that the bridge was shot (looked super corroded). Took it home, cleaned it up, turns out the bridge is Gotoh aluminum and the pickups were a Jazz and a 59 and sound pretty good in there. Went from project to just about perfect as is with a good wipe down and probably setting the intonation. Damn thing even hasa bone nut and ebony fretboard.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, I've never been impressed with any of the cheapies I've owned over the years. Most of them are gone except for a couple of Danos, one of which is fairly new but nearly unplayable with action 1/8" at the 12th fret. It will not go any lower because of the design of the bridge. I use it for slide.

If I were just starting to play guitar, however, I'd be in heaven. There are so many decent guitars for under $300--you can hardly go wrong. The Yamaha Pacifica has been a perennial great buy, and the VM Squier's I've played sound pretty good.

But I'm at a point where I have a few really great guitars, so there's no sense in buying a cheapie because I know that it's very unlikely that they are going to come close to my Gretsch Elliot Easton or my ES335.

• Members
I very nearly bought one of these, but the price seemed out of line, and I couldn't figure out what the catch was. Felt good, seemed well made, sounded great. So tell me, what's the catch?

I can't find a flaw. It's just a great guitar that doesn't cost a small fortune. Get one while you can.

• Members

No pics yet but I just got a "Spectrum" branded strat copy for 27$. Amazingly the body is really nice, 2pc with nice grain and a tobacco sunburst. Crappy pickguard and sharp fret ends...tuners are meh but the pickups sound really nice for what they are. Even if I just use the neck and body not a bad deal.

this is from the sprectrum site.

http://www.ashleyintl.com/SpectrumInstruments/images/AIL-94FM.jpg

• Members

My first and only electric, that I have been playing since I was 13 (16 years). I payed $150 for it back in the mid 90's and it played great. Sometime around the late 90's it was upgraded to Grover tuners, a Duncan JB in the bridge and strap locks. Last year I put the new pickgaurd on and stripped down the electronics to one pickup and one volume knob, since that is all I ever played.

100_1333.jpg

Archived