Finally finished my Mahogany HH Hardtail 'Strat'

webwarmiller

• Members

FINALLY got around to finishing this project. Between work and other crap around the house I haven't found much time to work on this, but I finally found time to finish it. Perfect timing as Jeff Head just FedEx'ed a Walnut tele body which should arrive on Tuesday ;-).

Body - 2 piece center joined Mahogany from Headguitars.com (via Ebay). Danish oil finish with a top coat of Briwax

Neck - Indo Squier neck with finish removed and Danish oiled. Frets level/crowned/dress with 'bullet' shaped fret ends. Graphite nut

Bridge - Fender hardtail with stamped saddles

Tuners - Grover

Pups - SD JB/Jazz

Electronics - CTS 500K pots, 3 Way toggle, 2 mini on-on-on DPDT

Here are some threads regarding the body:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2732217-HNBD-Hardtail-Mahogany-Strat-Body.....&highlight=

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2736920-HeadGuitars-guitar-bodies&highlight=

And a couple of pics....

imagebng.jpg

imagejvr.jpg

• Members

Looks awesome! How does it play and sound?

Plays great as I'm quite accustomed to tearing down guitars and setting them up exactly to my liking. Really enjoying all the different sounds thanks to being able to set each PUP to Series/Split/Parallel independent of one another. Luckily I didn't run into any surprises/issues with the assembly......

• Members

that's great, oh so close to being my perfect guitar, i'm thinking of doing something very similar from warmoth but with a soloist body rather than a strat. But with the same natural finish, wood mounted pups etc. Maybe a reverse headstock also, but that's about the closest i've seen a guitar to my ideal guitar. Love it.

• Members

That is absolutely perfect.
:love:

Thanks...I've been playing it ALL weekend long. So far I'm extremely happy with just about everything, BUT I'm already thinking of a couple of minor changes. First off, I'm not 100% sure that the stamped saddles were the right choice. The JB is a trebly pickup and I think the stamped saddles emphasis this a bit. I'm going to order some modern stainless saddles and switch them out when I change strings. Secondly, the pickups currently use foam underneath to provide the upward pressure to allow allow them to adjust. Now that I have them dialed in height wise, I think I'm going to replace the foam with some mahogany blocks cut to the proper thickness. It might change the sound a bit, but I'm doing it mainly for stability of construction reasons. Both minor changes, both of which can wait till a string change.

• Members

I love mahogany, 25.5" scale, Strat bodies and humbuckers. Can I have it?

The one thing that has really become evident within the threads on this guitar is that there are a LOT of people who want this combination. Perhaps it's simply because it isn't readily available. Fender obviously saw the void in HH offerings by releasing the Blacktops.

• Members

If it was finished in trans red or black and didn't have those mini pots, it might be my dream guitar. Love Strat bodies, love mahogany bodies, love humbuckers, love hard tails. Awesome job.

Oh, two questions:

1. Did you seal the wood of the body when finishing? In other words, is the finish flat or is the grain open?

2. What did you use to strip the neck (chemicals vs sanding)?

• Members

Oh, two questions:

1. Did you seal the wood of the body when finishing? In other words, is the finish flat or is the grain open?

2. What did you use to strip the neck (chemicals vs sanding)?

The wood was sealed but not grain filled. The sealer was actually the first coat of Danish Oil. It will seal the wood and raise the grain a bit.

Most every Squier neck I've come across has a very thin finish so sanding them down to raw wood is easy. On heavy poly I would use paint stripper.

• Members

Way cool. I like the Danish oil finish. One advantage to that is ease of maintenance/repair. With no p/g it will get scratched. No worries. Some sandpaper and some more Danish oil an buh bye scratches.:thu:

Lets the grain show thru too and it would be a mortal sin to hide that bootiful body.

• Members

There has to be an entire story about that cover for the control cavity - I'm curious to hear it.

Not much to tell. Jeff included it when he shipped me the body. It's mahogany and recessed into the body. It's obviously from a different tree or section of the same tree as it didn't turn out the same shade when oiled. As is obvious, the control route dictated the layout of the controls themselves.

• Members

Beautiful! I love the finish.

I like that you stripped and refinished a Squier neck for the project! I did the same thing on my last La Cabronita project. To be honest, I love the lower-end Squier necks. You can find them for cheap on eBay if you're patient and if you get a good one, they're great for projects if you're trying to save money. Once you strip them and give them an oil finish and set them up properly, anyone who plays one would never guess it's a Squier neck.

• Members

I like that you stripped and refinished a Squier neck for the project! I did the same thing on my last La Cabronita project. To be honest, I love the lower-end Squier necks. You can find them for cheap on eBay if you're patient and if you get a good one, they're great for projects if you're trying to save money. Once you strip them and give them an oil finish and set them up properly, anyone who plays one would never guess it's a Squier neck.

Yep, there is ZERO wrong with 99.9% of the Squier necks out there. Sure they'll need a little fretwork and perhaps the edges rolled, but so did every neck at some point in its life. I'd just prefer to do the detail work myself than paying to have it done. I like finding Squiers for $50 on CL, taking the neck off, and then selling off the rest. The end result is a $10-15 neck.

I just realized that the neck on this one is actually from China *gasp* and not Indonesia (you kinda forget as all markings are removed). This one came from an '09 Bullet and the neck is MUCH chunkier than your typical Fender/Squier neck. I love its profile and am always looking for more of these 'junk' Chinese bullets. I've also got a 50th anniv Squier neck that has a 1 11/16th's nut and 22 frets which is really nice. If memory serves me correctly, Mighty Mite uses the exact same factory in Indonesia that Squier does for their necks.

Archived