great major pentatonic solos

pogo97

What do you mean by "where you land"?

The most important thing that determines whether or not you are playing a major or minor pentatonic is how you resolve your phrases or what notes you land on...also if you are referencing the chord tones of the "tonic chord" that helps quite a bit, too....I had a couple of minutes when I got in today to do this...hopefully it helps!

[video=youtube;V7-gGsKz33I]

• Members

http://www.jazzcenter.org/index.htm?http://www.jazzcenter.org/cw-jrc/scales.htm

"Most people make a difference between the major and the minor pentatonic scale. Of course: you can practice both, but it might be easier to realise that due to the "parallel-key phenomenon" every major pentatonic scale is the same as the minor pentatonic scale of the parallel key. For example: C-major = A-minor, E-major = C#(Db)-minor and F-major = D-minor. So I would say: practice either the major or the minor pentatonic scales and learn the parallel keys!!"

Cheers, I understood about the 3 frets down thing where you go down three frets but keep the same note as the tonal centre, but even when you use those shapes the root notes are still in a more awkward place to land on, you quite often have to slide up or down a couple of frets.

major_pentatonic_scale.bmp

...Just thought of another one - Honky tonk woman, in fact quite a lot of mid-period stones.

• Members

I had to go back and listen to Free Bird and the Major licks come in right after he repeats the opening line down the neck and the fast pull off lick where the band stops is major and a lot of what follows in the second half. Sh!t I learned that over 25 years ago and thought it was much more major pentatonic then it is but he bounces back and forth, anyway I at least got to play it after about a decade and it was =good lol.

Sweet Home Alabama,Gimmie Three Steps and Whats your Name I can assure are all major or let me say mainly as other notes are always thrown in, as I personally always use the 4th when using the major pentatonic which in G would be the note C. Everyone from Betts to Slash uses that one as it just sounds sweet and probably makes it another scale which someone who knows more about theory than me could explain. Sweet Home Alabama is in D yet he solos in G -go figure.

• Members

I had to go back and listen to Free Bird and the Major licks come in right after he repeats the opening line down the neck and the fast pull off lick where the band stops is major and a lot of what follows in the second half. Sh!t I learned that over 25 years ago and thought it was much more major pentatonic then it is but he bounces back and forth, anyway I at least got to play it after about a decade and it was =good lol.

Sweet Home Alabama,Gimmie Three Steps and Whats your Name I can assure are all major or let me say mainly as other notes are always thrown in, as I personally always use the 4th when using the major pentatonic which in G would be the note C. Everyone from Betts to Slash uses that one as it just sounds sweet and probably makes it another scale which someone who knows more about theory than me could explain. Sweet Home Alabama is in D yet he solos in G -go figure.

If you google "Dickey Betts guitar world lesson" you will probably find a lesson on the Guitar World site with Dickey Betts were he discusses this exact thing. I believe he calls it the hexatonic scale. I know there is tab, but I think also sound clips. It's been 4-5 years since I have seen it, but it's a pretty good resource on this subject.

Of straight blues guys, BB King is a master of using the major scale.

• Members

All the parts in "Tuesday's Gone" are maj pentatonic, "Gimmie 3 Steps", and "Call Me The Breeze" too. Plus, "Ramblin' Man" and "Blue Sky"
:D
by the Allman Bros.

The leads in "Ramblin Man" is the G major scale with an F... which would make it mixolydian, aka the "Southern Rock scale", correct?

• Members

Just a hunch, but when people talk about pentatonic, are they talking more about the finger positions (the box) than the actual notes played? That is, you play the pentatonic pattern on the neck but are free to bend to non-pentatonic notes; i.e. land on the third (scale note in major pentatonic) and bend up to the fourth (not a scale note) or land on the six and bend up to the flat seven.

• Members

I think of scales only in relation to the notes, not finger positions or patterns. The finger positions/patterns are only relevent to guitar, whereas the notes of a certain scale are the same notes regardless of whether you are playing it on a piano, guitar, or trumpet.

• Members

Just a hunch, but when people talk about pentatonic, are they talking more about the finger positions (the box) than the actual notes played? That is, you play the pentatonic pattern on the neck but are free to bend to non-pentatonic notes; i.e. land on the third (scale note in major pentatonic) and bend up to the fourth (not a scale note) or land on the six and bend up to the flat seven.

Nope, it means a 5 tone scale. Nothing to do with the box pattern.

• Members

Sometimes it's just a matter of hearing what someone is trying to explain in a post. Your ears will usually get it long befre your mind will. At least that's how it works for me...

my biggest problem Mark is that I have a tough time hearing it and then repeating what I think I hear. It's a curse sir.

my biggest problem Mark is that I have a tough time hearing it and then repeating what I think I hear. It's a curse sir.

The more stuff you get under your fingers the easier it gets, though. That's why I'm a big proponent of making my students learn solos or pieces of music that utilize the sound or technique we're focusing on. Eventually your ears and fingers will meet in the middle :)

• Members

The more stuff you get under your fingers the easier it gets, though. That's why I'm a big proponent of making my students learn solos or pieces of music that utilize the sound or technique we're focusing on. Eventually your ears and fingers will meet in the middle
:)

makes a lot of sense to me,

Archived