Anyone using an SX guitar?

OldCrankyDouche

• Members

Just looking for something thats going to sound decent shipped to my door (minus a string change and intonation). The SX Teles and Strats are hot.

If I pick one of these, it will be the $109 level. And for now, its going to stay stock. Only maple fretboards.

Whats your experience with the neck's finish? Satiny? Or glossy as hell?

I would assume that the pickups are sub-par, but my last MIM Tele's pickups were noisy as hell, so I learned to deal with it. Was never awful, unless I used a {censored}ton of distortion.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have one of the P90 TL50s and I love it. The neck was glossy as hell, but I used a fine grit 3M pad to buff it down to a satin feel. Neck is kinda wide and feels reat in my hands. Bridge is kinda crappy, but serviceable. On my particular instrument I just tweaked the neck a bit and played and it didn't need much more. Some people weren't as lucky. It's a crapshoot but you can always send it back. :idk:

• Members

i would not say sub par at all... i have all sorts of tone samples on my sound clicks link.. the neck is thick polly but a little sand paper will set that to rights.. the pickups will want to be replaced but they are usable... not much 60 cycle hum but its there... the finish is quite good for the cash.. the frets will need to be polished but i have 3 SXs and none have needed any level.. its a very good platform.. one of the best you can get for 100 bucks..

photo?

5347732389_f4374989bd_b.jpg

just a hack player.. but i think they are a nice guitar.

• Members

I have 2 sx teles and an sx floyded strat.

They are decent guitars. One of the teles even looks really nice with it's tiger maple fingerboard. The neck is very glossy, which I like, fretwork is great.

Tuners are, bad, replace. Nut is bad, replace. Pickups, replace if you need to.

Decent guitars for what you pay for them.

• Members

Be warned the SX strat and or tele will probably need upgrades and major set up work to be a decent player.

I've had both and trust me you will be money ahead to just buy something a little more expensive and much better quality.

The only SX I still have is an acoustic that is surprising quality.

I've never had one but these seem like a much better deal.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-870-Double-Cutaway-Solid-Body_c_152.html

The quality of these has really improved and a better choice than the SX, besides you could hand pick one at Guitar Center or similar.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Bullet-Strat-with-Tremolo?sku=517304

• Members

They're not that bad stock. But if you go into it wanting to replace the pickups, the bridge and tuners, you could have bought something else. Like the Squier Classic Vibe, which has far superior pickups and a nicer body IMO. The neck isn't chunky if that's your preference, but I'm far happier with the CV I picked up for $215 used than I ever was with an SX strat.

• Members

I don't think you will go from the box to the recording studio with one, but they are great platforms for mods.

Good woods, necks, frets, pickups are ok. I normally replace the electronics, pickups, nut, and saddles.

I gig'd one not too long ago and I re-tuned only once in ~4 hours, with the stock tuners. Changing the nut is key.

• Members

Hilarious....I love the comments like the pups should be replaced, the frets will need polishing, the tuners are weak, the finish on the neck is excessive, that it'll need upgrades and major set up work to be a decent player, etc...., but other than that, they're great guitars! :facepalm: Not trying to be a dick, but those aren't really ringing endorsements.

• Members

i'd spring the extra $10 and grab the ash version

http://www.rondomusic.com/hawkmnash3ts.html

it has better tuners stock than the other SX guitars. i own the p-90 version of this guitar, neck is satin and feels great in my hand. it's a bit on the chunky side but i prefer them that way. the tremelo even works fine (on mine at least) after lubing the nut and string trees.

• Members

I got my daughter a 3/4 strat with a single HB. Fit and finish are excellent, neck is WAY better than I expected, and the pup is actually pretty nice, no need to swap it. Bridge and tuners are kinda crappy, but they work fine. Neck is glossy, which is no big deal as others have said, but I really hate the orange tint. Might take it off with Citristrip someday, but my daughter doesn't mind it (yet) so I'm in no hurry. Overall, I'm very really happy with the purchase, would do it again without hesitation.

• Members

Hilarious....I love the comments like the pups should be replaced, the frets will need polishing, the tuners are weak, the finish on the neck is excessive, that it'll need upgrades and major set up work to be a decent player, etc...., but other than that, they're great guitars!
:facepalm:
Not trying to be a dick, but those aren't really ringing endorsements.

I spent less than $30 in upgrades and it is a very giggable guitar now.

Nut-$5

Saddles-$10

Pots-$10

Cap-$2

Pickups are subjective. I think they are certainly servicable.

• Members

I spent less than $30 in upgrades and it is a very giggable guitar now.

Nut-$5

Saddles-$10

Pots-$10

Cap-$2

Pickups are subjective. I think they are certainly servicable.

To each his own. Personally, I won't gig w/guitars like this, but for plinking around the house and having fun doing some mods, then ok. And I was just pointing out the humor in some of the comments.

• Members

To each his own. Personally, I won't gig w/guitars like this, but for plinking around the house and having fun doing some mods, then ok. And I was just pointing out the humor in some of the comments.

This is why I posted about them needing so much work.

I bought my first SX (a tele) to learn to do setups on and they're great fot that.

If you just want a budget guitar vs the cheapest thing possible there are better value options than most SX models.

• Members

This is why I posted about them needing so much work.

I bought my first SX (a tele) to learn to do setups on and they're great fot that.

If you just want a budget guitar vs the cheapest thing possible there are better value options than most SX models.

It is definitely luck of the draw with these. Not consistent qc across the board.

Some are buzzy all over the fretboard, while others just need a few minutes of tweaks.

• Members

Let me repeat....I wont be modding. I wont be gigging. Ill be lucky to get into a jam session. Looking for something that plays and isnt broken out of the box. :lol:

And also, the chances of me getting a Tele:Strat are...10:1.

Since the Tele I had was a 3-pup guitar, Im inclined to get one of the SSS SX's.

http://www.rondomusic.com/stl50sssvwh.html

These are also at the top of the list.

http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmn3ts.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmnp90vwh.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmnash3ts.html

That last one is gorgeous, but Im not sure how I feel about the contour shaping..

• Members

^^I love the p90 SX tele...can't go wrong for the price really, especially for what you're looking for in a guitar.

Mine came setup great. I put new strings and tuners on mine after a couple months. Easily on par with the MIM tele I have. I'm going to snag one of the SSS teles in the future.

Archived