Anyone using an SX guitar?

OldCrankyDouche

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Isn't the d15 a pretty low end Martin?

Regardless, while I like my SX acoustic I'd trade just about any model,condition Martin for it.

It's not a multi thousand dollar Martin. It sold for 6-7 times what I paid for the SX.

You'd rather have a martin, I'd rather have the cash.

I'd honestly rather have the SX though, so that's what I did.

And that's how a cheap guitar becomes a winner. I've had it happen that way several times for me. Apparently not for you.

• Members

I got one of the $109 Teles a few months back. I might have just got unlucky but mine needed a fret job and a new nut really bad. It was unplayable. Wouldn't stay in tune and had horrible fret buzz. Considering how cheap it was I cant really complain too much. So $55 for fret level, $35 for new bone nut. The stock pups were kinda ratty sounding so I changed em out with some custom made ones from my local guitar shop. They sound great and after the work done on it and a setup it plays like {censored}ing butter and sounds pretty damn good too.. Overall build quality is easily as good as a MIM Fender, maybe better. Feels really solid. So even after all the money put into it for upgrades it was still cheaper than a new MIM Tele an its really a great guitar. The only thing I dont like about it is the nasty looking orange stain they use on the neck. Im currently in the process of refinishing it. .I cant really complain about that either though because it's a fun project.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

The only thing I dont like about it is the nasty looking orange stain they use on the neck. Im currently in the process of refinishing it. .I cant really complain about that either though because it's a fun project.

yep thats pretty much what i did. i got this black SX with cream double binding:

furrianmnbibk4.jpg

refinished with citristrip and voila:

fr_156_size580.jpgfr_157_size580.jpg

• Members

How good are you at set up?

Are you comfortable with a truss rod tweak or a little nut work?

If so I think they would prob suit you just fine.

If I was you Id stay away from trem models tho, too many moving parts in a strat bridge for the quality of the parts IMO.

Id stick with a tele or some kind of hardtail.

• Members
Hilarious....I love the comments like the pups should be replaced, the frets will need polishing, the tuners are weak, the finish on the neck is excessive, that it'll need upgrades and major set up work to be a decent player, etc...., but other than that, they're great guitars!
:facepalm:
Not trying to be a dick, but those aren't really ringing endorsements.

:lol::lol: I kind of get your point. If i was a bit more nifty and wanted a project guitar it could be fun. Not if i just want a guitar i can play after a few minor tweaks.

• Members

:lol:
:lol: I kind of get your point. If i was a bit more nifty and wanted a project guitar it could be fun. Not if i just want a guitar i can play after a few minor tweaks.

for me all i did was replace the nut and tuners for a grand total of $18 (wilkinson ez-loks for $10 and new bone nut). the ash models already come with very decent tuners (mini-grover style ones that differ from the cheaper SX tuners with the engravings on them)

the super strong orange finish on the neck is my one major stand-out issue but the finish isn't on all of the necks. my ash tele came with maple/cream bounded neck with offset inlays. its probably one of the nicest necks i have (and i live in a household with an american deluxe, MIJ fender '62 custom reissue, CV50 and a bunch of SX's)

heres the ash tele on the left:

jq0vv7.jpg

the stock pickups, although poorly constructed, sound great but that largely depends on what sound you're after. for typical tele/country twang they're definitely fine. maybe a tad bright since theres 500k pots in these guitars. i'm replacing the bridge in one of my SX teles with an SD hot rails pickup since i want this one to be my higher gain beast.

• Members
for me all i did was replace the nut and tuners for a grand total of $18 (wilkinson ez-loks for $10 and new bone nut). the ash models already come with very decent tuners (mini-grover style ones that differ from the cheaper SX tuners with the engravings on them)

the super strong orange finish on the neck is my one major stand-out issue but the finish isn't on all of the necks. my ash tele came with maple/cream bounded neck with offset inlays. its probably one of the nicest necks i have (and i live in a household with an american deluxe, MIJ fender '62 custom reissue, CV50 and a bunch of SX's)

heres the ash tele on the left:

jq0vv7.jpg

the stock pickups, although poorly constructed, sound great but that largely depends on what sound you're after. for typical tele/country twang they're definitely fine. maybe a tad bright since theres 500k pots in these guitars. i'm replacing the bridge in one of my SX teles with an SD hot rails pickup since i want this one to be my higher gain beast.

Very cool. I wanted that strange looking jazzmaster like guitar they have but because anything other than a minor set up is a no go for me i have held back. I like the head stock on that as well.

• Members

Recently grabbed one of these:

I was pleasantly surprised.

1. As mentioned, tuners were a bit on the slippy side, no big deal.

2. Nut could use adjustment.

That's about it. Sound fantastic and is a decent hunk of wood.

nice! how did the actual colour turn out in person? i've read that its more of a mustardy green colour. can you see the wood grain pretty well?

• Members

nice! how did the actual colour turn out in person? i've read that its more of a mustardy green colour. can you see the wood grain pretty well?

It's not nearly as yellow as it appears on the rondo site, so yes more of a greenish tint I suppose, but I like it. The grain shows through nicely as well. Pickups sound great to me. I've never found a better bang for you buck guitar, besides maybe a used Peavey, imo.

• Members

Hey - What's up with the Flying Strings? that's quite ugly

If I break a string @ the saddle, all I have to do is cut off the broken part, unwind some string from the tuner, and re-use the same string. I can use the same set of strings for a long time that way. Also, I don't mind the way it looks @ all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

how is that one? Is it stock or have you done any upgrades?

Love the pickups, all stock. I wish I bought 2-3 more at the time as they blew them out from the EB lawsuit (or possible lawsuit) against SX...

Archived