Telecasters: do 3 saddle bridges REALLY sound significantly different?

twotimingpete

• Members

maybe I'll record several clips, with only one being the 3 saddle, and see if people can correctly call it.

Anyway, you'll never be able to record how you FEEL when playing one tele or the other - according to me it's a 50% tone/50% feel difference, and despite several try, I'll never get back to a six-saddle bridge on a tele, it feels wrong to me AND sound "emasculated" - you get a very nice and polite telecaster, but a real tele is not suppose to be like that! (some people like it though).

• Members

Anyway, you'll never be able to record how you FEEL when playing one tele or the other - according to me it's a 50% tone/50% feel difference, and despite several try, I'll never get back to a six-saddle bridge on a tele, it feels wrong to me AND sound "emasculated" - you get a very nice and polite telecaster, but a real tele is not suppose to be like that! (some people like it though).

the big ashtray and 3 big saddles I don't doubt feel different against your hand. that point is well taken. I'm talking purely about amplified sound, though, as the thread title suggests.

• Members

the big ashtray and 3 big saddles I don't doubt feel different against your hand. that point is well taken. I'm talking purely about amplified sound, though, as the thread title suggests.

Bridge material and mass most certainly makes a difference, not just with teles.

• Members
maybe I'll record several clips, with only one being the 3 saddle, and see if people can correctly call it.

I'm sure you know my wood comment was just a joke.
I love your idea of the recordings. That would be very interesting. Please follow through with it.
:thu:

• Members

I've tried the Wilkinson WT3 (3 brass saddle) and the stock 6 saddle Yamaha tele bridge with Graphtech saddles on my Yamaha Pacifica 1511 (basically a tele). The difference was pretty minor, I felt the WT3 sounded a bit smoother yet twangier but I think that's more about the brass saddles than there being 3 of them. I went back to the 6 saddle model because it was much easier to get accurate intonation with it. Overall the difference in tone was very minor.

Archived