Own up - Whats your secret guilty pleasure?

knotty

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm learning french horn...

IMG_8105.jpg

I can play a French horn. Toughest brass instrument ever! Man, I thought I was good with a trumpet, then I got into these things. Sheez, I felt like a beginner all over again.

The mouthpiece is bizarre and it allows you to bend pitch very easily, which means you can play out of tune without even trying. :o

Few things sound better when played well, though.

Have fun.

EG

• Members

KISS. They're not very good musicians, but they put on a good show and it's fun to play their songs. I was in a pawn shop a few weeks ago and got Destroyer, Love Gun and Alive II on vinyl for $5 each. Definitely a guilty pleasure.

• Members

Sweetest Taboo - Sade. Still gets play in my Ipod.

Don't Be Cruel album by Bobby Brown. Oddly, nothing else by him. Oh, the GhostBusters song he did too.

Other New Jack Swing (I Want Her, Just Got Paid, Rub You The Right Way) - great jogging music.

Kenny Loggins movie songs.

Alan Jackson - mostly just really respect the guy. Very moving tribute to George Jones at the CMT's. I love sentimental stuff like that performance.

Zapp & Roger - infectious...until it gets monotonous.

"I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" - gotta be tough being on the road, and the words get me.

Fletch Theme - corny, but damn fun to drive around to. You're instantly on a mission. Dr. Rosenpenis.

Against All Odds -Phil Collins

Hearts On Fire - Rocky IV.

I Just Called To Say I Love You - since I was a kid my Mom said it was our song..."to fill your heart like no three words could ever do..."

I Keep Forgettin' - Michael McDonald. He made many Steely Dan songs better, and I dig this solo one.

Nightshift - Commodores

Damn I'm corny.

...eh, I'd take these songs over Modern Rock every day of the week.

• Members

Wow too many respectable artist for a lot of them to be considered a guilty pleasure which is really something you would be ashamed to admit you like. I will man up and say when I was 10 there was a Donny Osmond hit called Sweet and Innocent that I actually give a listen to once a year. It does not get more shameful than that, though I knew there was some reason I knew there was something to it as I believe Roy Orbison did it first or wrote it.lol

• Members

Nothing embarassing about liking or buying Adele's material, she's the "real deal"

Given that the last 6 or so albums I've bought have been a mixture of technical death metal and Frank Zappa, it's pretty left of field for me.

• Members

My wife got me into Tori...some of it is absolutely awesome and some of it is either "meh" or "wtf!".

Agreed. I LOVE the "Scarlet's Walk" album (I've had it ever since it came out in 2003), but the followup albums are a mixed bag. Ditto for the "From The Choirgirl Hotel" album. I LOVE "Black Dove" from that album. But some of the other songs - I can take 'em or leave 'em. When Tori's one she's REALLY on. But, when she's off, it's kind of forgettable IMO. In a way, it's like Phil Collins era Genesis. When Genesis (from that era) is good, it's REALLY good, with lyrics that hit you right between the eyes in some cases ("Man On The Corner, "No Son Of Mine"). But then there are those throwaway songs they've done, that make me wonder why they're still a band ("Sussudio", "Take Me Home").

• Members

Sweetest Taboo - Sade. Still gets play in my Ipod.

Most Sade bores me to tears (I find her tuneage to be a mix of boring, lounge act, schlocky jazz-pop), but I do really like "Hang On To Your Love". I heard it for the first time on a long drive home late at night, in 2000, on a college radio station that plays a pretty eclectic mix. I was surprised when I learned Sade did it - it's so not like her, since it's got a funky beat to it.

[video=youtube;76VlJrizlMQ]

• Moderators

Most Sade bores me to tears (I find her tuneage to be a mix of boring, lounge act, schlocky jazz-pop), but I do really like "Hang On To Your Love". I heard it for the first time on a long drive home late at night, in 2000, on a college radio station that plays a pretty eclectic mix. I was surprised when I learned Sade did it - it's so not like her, since it's got a funky beat to it.

Sade's first album (Diamond Life) was really superb, and at a time in England (80s)when music with class was lacking, it's the same reason why I still can listen to bands like Level 42, Simply Red, ABC, Prefab Sprout and a whole other raft of non guitar orientated music that was a combination of thoughtful song writing with a good vibe.

• Members

I'm a heavy rock, stoner rock, doom metal kind of guy (and some classic rock also). But as a child of the 70s, I love the music I grew up with so lots of 70s cheese pop and singer songwriter stuff hits the spot but I am a not so closet (as I now tell lots of people) Bee Gees freak. I love the 60s stuff, the early 70s white boy funk, and the later 70s disco era - its all greatness. The Bee Gees were maybe the best soul band of the 70s, yes I said it! Even their disco stuff is amazing - the production, song writing, and playing is fantastic. They went a little to adult contemporary later in their career for me but pre 1980, oh yeah!

• Members

I'll be the second to admit a huge love of trance music. Might be all the weed and shrooms lol? I love DJ Tiesto, Armin van Buuren, Paul Oakenfeld, Milk Inc, etc... And I like techno mixed with rock as well ala Breathe Carolina, and Innerpartysystem.

Most people know me for Iron Maiden, Rush, Queensryche, Trans-Siberian Orchestra type stuff. I listen to more Breathe Carolina these days than anything.

u8hk_DoWlac

n-ZJVmdCbHs

as4hJI2wXnM

Archived