Favorite tone other than your own?

BatheInVice

• Members

Knopflers range of tones on his solo records have been my favorite for a long time. I particularly like the tone on the short solo bits near the end of wanderlust, around 2:30 or so. Sounds much better on the cd than on crappy youtube audio, but you get the idea.

[video=youtube;PsdRbxRGgxM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsdRbxRGgxM

• Members

Pretty much the Dumble tones where it sounds clean, but there's just enough hair so that you can't really hear the attack of the note so everything sounds kind of like a violin.

I've always liked that tone and experienced it for about an hour playing through Fuchs. Not sure if I like it enough to ante up for it, but it IS amazing.

Sort of like the Eric Johnson tone with less time-based effects. Very liquid, very sustainey...

• 5 months later...
  • Members

My own tone probably isn't my favourite. I've recently been getting into this riff - love that brutal raw sound (although you need the original album through good headphones to really appreciate it):

[video=youtube;9c0hxcYX7QE]

This is one of my fave guitar sounds of all times:

[video=youtube;taADLPtyDb0]

• Members

I've always really liked Eddie Vedder's tone (crazy, I know). It's full, warm, and there's just something great about it.

[video=youtube;-ohg09G7400]

[video=youtube;I-Sm2bFS_Ms]

I'm also a big fan of Dan Auerbach and Billy Corgan for fuzz sounds. And I have to give say something about both Marc Bolan and Neil Young. I think that covers the people I try to sound like the most.

An honorable mention should also go to John Lennon's tones on Let it be; I like most other Beatles tones, too, but I've always really dug the sound of the rhythm stuff on that album, and I almost never hear it get mentioned among great tones.

Archived