Guitar things that irk you.

honeyiscool

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right there with you about the bad string jobs. Actually that just straight up pisses me off. Same with ancient strings.

Also, bad intonation, cables that crackle, crackling jacks, etc. Sort that crap out. :mad: I HATE playing with people who have these issues.

• Members

I'll start.

Bad restring jobs. I'm talking about when you see 8 wrappings of a string around the tuner, and the ends haven't been snipped.

A friend brought a guitar over once for some work and some of the wrappings went up instead of down the post, and some were over lapping each other. :facepalm:

What irks me the most though is playing with a guitarist who can never tell when he's waaaaaaaaaaaay out of tune with the band.

• Members

A friend brought a guitar over once for some work and some of the wrappings went up instead of down the post, and some were over lapping each other.
:facepalm:

What irks me the most though is playing with a guitarist who can never tell when he's waaaaaaaaaaaay out of tune with the band.

Don't doubt that at all.

FWIW, I'm surprised at how many post I've seen here from people that have no idea how to restring a guitar correctly.

• Members

Ever see someone who wraps the strings backwards. That a true sign of a pro whose been playing awhile.

How many wrapps dont bother me too much so long as it doesnt poke you. BB King wrapps all the slack up and it doesnt affect his playing or tone.

I used to get three wraps on then do the old rippon bow treatments to the ends so the strings would curl up. It would save my ass is the ball end would break and I could unwrap the string and stick another ball on there.

I I were to pick up a guitar, the two things that would likely irk me is someone who doest pre stretch their stringe, and those who have a tin ear for setup. I can instantly feel and hear issue and if someone doesnt have it set up right I'd be inclined to sit it back down after a single strum if it flucked up.

• Members

Now, I understand why some people don't like to set up their own guitars. I don't think the fear is justified, it's way harder to permanently screw up your guitar than people think. But I understand it.

What I don't understand is people who buy Floyd Roses and are so {censored}ing lazy they won't even learn how to change the strings and pay a tech every time they need new strings.

:facepalm:

• Members

People who mis-adjust their truss rod to change their "action."

I work as a tech and I make my money fixing that, and, like someone said earlier, I make a fortune from re-stringing Floyd Roses! Floyd Rose was the best thing that happened for us techs.

• Members

People who mis-adjust their truss rod to change their "action."

I work as a tech and I make my money fixing that, and, like someone said earlier, I make a fortune from re-stringing Floyd Roses! Floyd Rose was the best thing that happened for us techs.

I can't prove it, but I swear to god there is some conspiracy among techs to make people think that Floyd Roses are harder to setup than they actually are.

...I know what you're up to, sir.

• Members

I can't prove it, but I swear to god there is some conspiracy among techs to make people think that Floyd Roses are harder to setup than they actually are.

...I know what you're up to, sir.

Same goes for adjusting the truss rod. I can't tell you how many techs scowled at me and said I shouldn't be messing with the truss rods; that it was a job for professionals.

• Members

Same goes for adjusting the truss rod. I can't tell you how many techs scowled at me and said I shouldn't be messing with the truss rods; that it was a job for professionals.

A lot of people on forums seem to like to tell people how dangerous it is to adjust a truss rod too.

• Members

A lot of people on forums seem to like to tell people how dangerous it is to adjust a truss rod too.

This is more because once something is said enough, it becomes "common wisdom," even if it's wrong. Most people who say it's dangerous to adjust a truss rod actually have no idea whether it is or not because they've NEVER FREAKING TRIED. They're just parroting what everyone else says.

• Members

Not really a 'guitar' thing as such, but musicians with an over inflated ego are probably the most irksome... although to be honest, my musical relationship with them has rarely endured very long, so it's not the end of the world. The band I am in now is relatively ego free, which is great.

I once accompanied a really superb singer in a talent contest (did a thread on it here a couple of years ago). She had had a professional career and had a very powerful voice. But she also had an ego the size of Wales, or perhaps some other small principality (bearing in mind most large things are the size of Wales - it's a psychological word association thing you know). I can't say I was very surprised that her career didn't last more than about 10 years. Must have been hell having to put up with her.

Guitar things - not very many relating to the instrument. I'm not at all bothered if someone has wound their strings differently. That's up to them, and I doubt it has much bearing on how good a guitarist they are (even if that actually matters). The other point is that within a few weeks your going to have to change them in any case. I do get pissed off by the hard sell in music shops - staff who follow you around, or who won't leave you alone to try something out. Not massively irksome, but mildly irritating.

• Members

This is more because once something is said enough, it becomes "common wisdom," even if it's wrong. Most people who say it's dangerous to adjust a truss rod actually have no idea whether it is or not because they've NEVER FREAKING TRIED. They're just parroting what everyone else says.

Speaking of common wisdom that sucks...

*hands 12 yr old kid a terrible acoustic guitar with strings half an inch off the fretboard*

Here, you should learn on an acoustic. It'll make you learn faster.

• Members

Speaking of common wisdom that sucks...

*hands 12 yr old kid a terrible acoustic guitar with strings half an inch off the fretboard*

Here, you should learn on an acoustic. It'll make you learn faster.

Yes - I agree with that completely.

• Members

I learned on an acoustic. It was a decent playing acoustic, but it was still acoustic.

I honestly think learning on an acoustic made me a better electric player.

I've never heard that it'll make you learn faster. I think it develops your finger muscles/dexterity and calouses far better than an electric will though.

When it gets right down to it, it doesn't really matter if you're learning on an electric or an acoustic. It masters how much time and energy you put into learning.

• Members

I do get pissed off by the hard sell in music shops - staff who follow you around, or who won't leave you alone to try something out. Not massively irksome, but mildly irritating.

Yeah. What's even worse is those employees you run into once in awhile that just glare at you when you don't buy something you tested out, like it's a personal affront to them.

I mean, come on guys, you play guitar too. I'm not going to buy every pedal I test out, and, yes, I'm probably going to go to other stores to try out other pedals before I drop 100 or more bucks on one of these.

I mean, if I was there for like three hours blazing away on a roaring amp and inconveniencing other customers, I could get it. But I came in when there were no other customers, kept the amp to the lowest audible volume, played for half an hour, and did not play "Smoke on Water," "Iron Man," "Stairway to Heaven," or "Eruption."

• Members

I think it develops your finger muscles/dexterity and calouses far better than an electric will though.

When it gets right down to it, it doesn't really matter if you're learning on an electric or an acoustic. It masters how much time and energy you put into learning.

Not sure I agree with that. A properly set-up acoustic with 10s on it really doesn't feel any harder to play, to me, than an electric with 10s on it, and so, in that sense, I'm not sure it would build calluses any faster.

And of course, how dedicated you are is ultimately the important thing, but I think we can all agree that having an instrument you bond with, whether acoustic or electric, can make you want to practice harder.

• Members

Not sure I agree with that. A properly set-up acoustic with 10s on it really doesn't feel any harder to play, to me, than an electric with 10s on it, and so, in that sense, I'm not sure it would build calluses any faster.

And of course, how dedicated you are is ultimately the important thing, but I think we can all agree that having an instrument you bond with, whether acoustic or electric, can make you want to practice harder.

As far as I'm concerned they are different instruments that require a different sense of feel, dynamics, and attack. Took me a long while to re-learn playing electric after playing only an acoustic for years.

Archived