Guitar things that irk you.

honeyiscool

• Members

IRK #1.

Duncan Designed

IRK #2.

Those bright whitish maple necks that Fender sometimes uses on otherwise perfectly good guitars. Would it kill you to spray some toner on those timbers?

IRK #3.

Springtime in Colorado. We get 5 inches of rain in two weeks and my guitars ping and pong when I tune them up--like a fat couple having sex on a bad mattress.

IRK #4.

You buy something like a Marshall Class 5; six months later, the upgraded Class 5 comes out with new features like a low powered mode, headphone out, and redesigned speaker rendering your Class 5 obsolete and undesirable.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1. Every electric in the shop is in dropped D, and even half the acoustics are in dropped D, and you just know someone was trying to do metal riffing on an acoustic.

2. EVERY amp in the shop has gain, bass, and treble dimed and the middle at 0.

3. A classical guitar with a bowed neck and bellied body because someone put steel strings on it.

4. How some of the more inexperienced players think loud=good, and they'll get right next to you, play so loud that you can't hear what you are playing so you can hear how "good" they are, and they are looking at you like they are expecting to compliment them on how "good" they are.

5. When someone thinks they should be able to try out your gear because they own something more expensive.

6. When you let someone try out your guitar, but when you need to get it back they try not to let you have it right away, get a pissy attitude, and say stuff like "one more minute dude".

7. When someone hears me play, tells me I'm pretty good, and then tells me I should play Guitar Hero. Fortunately, that is a much smaller problem that it once was.

8. When someone hears me play, says I'm pretty good, and asks me why I'm playing "just" an acoustic when I'm good enough to play electric.

• Members

people who are not honest about their playing... think they play much better then they really do.. and seem to have and answer for every tone related or guitar playing related question.. i think to become a better player you have to really be brutally honest with your self as a guitar player... if you just collect guitars and think thats playing a guita,r they might as well be chicken salad sandwiches.. .. "hey where dose this hack coming off telling me to be honest about my playing? " yea well i know im rudimentary in my playing... but im not talking about me.. ;)

people who seem a music forum topic as a competition.. always trying to get the last word in or trying to stir up {censored}.. taking sides.. dumping big cans of drama all over the place.. answering ever question posed in such superior fashion and coming from a such an authoritative kind place... just a tempest in a tea spoon man.. but its the internet...

oh..

and i dont like pickles..

• Members

Guess the two other things that irk me most are guys who dont keep their instruments cleans and maintainenced.

And the other is they dont prestretch their strings, tune up and it goes out of tune during the first song.

I guess you could throw in coming to a gig with old strings that snap in the first song too. Spells complete looser in my book.

• Members

Some more Youtube gear demo-related irks:

1) People that spend the first five minutes of their 'gear demo' waffling on about stuff that they could have quite easily put in the description, or better still put in captions....followed by: 2) 30 seconds of playing that tells you very little about the gear in question, e.g: loads of pentatonic noodling, but no chords, riffs or clean playing.

• Members

Nuts. I don't think I've ever owned a guitar that didn't need to have the nut slots shaped properly, have excess removed etc. Thankfully I learned to do it myself but even on higher end guitars it seems to be the norm and I don't even use a strange set of strings or anything (just 10-46 or 11-49).

Neck angles. Gibson is very guilty of this. They set the necks at too high angles which results in the bridge and tailpiece being raised way high from the body. They don't do this on their Custom Shop models though so it's not like they're incapable of doing it right, they just don't seem to bother.

• Members

Asshats that play at 5,000 seat volume when they are playing dive bars that hold 100 on a good night?

It can fit the music. For example, when I saw Russian Circles, they played absurdly loud, and they ruled. I was kind of pissed off after the show, since I couldn't {censored}ing hear, but at the time it ruled.

I think that's because the tone they use has a lot of mids and bass. I once saw a black metal band with a really trebly, scooped mids sound, that played insanely loud. It just hurt.

• Members

Some more Youtube gear demo-related irks:

1) People that spend the first five minutes of their 'gear demo' waffling on about stuff that they could have quite easily put in the description, or better still put in captions....followed by: 2) 30 seconds of playing that tells you very little about the gear in question, e.g: loads of pentatonic noodling, but no chords, riffs or clean playing.

On a related note, inappropriate demonstrations. I see this a lot with metal-oriented stuff, since professional reviewers seem to generally be older guys who are into classic rock, jazz, or blues.

For example, sometimes I'll see guys demonstrating like a B.C. Rich and they're playing clean fingerpicking and maybe a few overdriven blues licks. Yeah guys...I'm not interested in how it sounds with some overdrive through a fender twin reverb. I'm interested in how it sounds thrashing through a dimed Dual Rectifier

• Members

On a related note, inappropriate demonstrations. I see this a lot with metal-oriented stuff, since professional reviewers seem to generally be older guys who are into classic rock, jazz, or blues.

For example, sometimes I'll see guys demonstrating like a B.C. Rich and they're playing clean fingerpicking and maybe a few overdriven blues licks. Yeah guys...I'm not interested in how it sounds with some overdrive through a fender twin reverb. I'm interested in how it sounds thrashing through a dimed Dual Rectifier

The Gearwire people have got this down to an artform, I'm sure most of them are just trolling the Youtube comments brigade.

• Members

"5. When someone thinks they should be able to try out your gear because they own something more expensive."

Brings to mind experience I had playing on the beach here in Thailand. Some Brit wanker more or less demands I let him play my guitar, says "I've got four Les Pauls at home".

My answer: "You should have brought one".

Archived