Just learned a new piece for someone in the acoustic forum (clip inside)

Jkater

• Members

I started a "request" thread in the acoustic forum to make me get off my butt and record stuff. I learned so many pieces over the years that the chance of them requesting something I know was (theoretically) pretty good. The thread didn't take off much (few requests) but someone requested a song I always wanted to play so I took on the challenge and learned it. I stole as much as i could from Chet's own version on Youtube after I had learned the basics chords from youtube covers. Here is a first recording of it. Rather sloppy with mistakes and a butchered D9 chord at 0:46 (you won't recognize that it's a D9 chord... :o). Played on a nylon but with electric rendition coming soon.

Mr.Sandman

• Members

Sweet picking as expected Richard

you won't recognize that it's a D9 chord

As we discussed before I wouldn't recognize a D9 chord if it came up and slapped me in the face :D

Too bad that thread kind of died there was a lot of good stuff in it...

• Members

wow, J! that was really, really cool to listen to. you have some serious skills, IMO. thank you for sharing!

Thank you, GD! :)

I think it will be interesting to do an electric version, slightly slower to make it groove. The jazzbox with flats might be a good choice. Gotta practice it some more to make every note really clean.

• Members

Lots of players on youtube try Mr Sandaman. Cool to watch all the different takes on it. No one beats the master though. Think I'll give it a try over the next couple of weeks.

[video=youtube;n-c66SJPuUI]

• Members

This is the one I plagiated. By the time I'm done with it, it will be closer. I gave some thoughts about doing the smooth arpegios middle part (right after the women flash their funny bras) but without the background comping it doesn't sound nearly as complete and sounds too weak. I might try and arrange something that aproximates it with some added bottom notes and see if it works.

• Members

Thank you Mnewb and ashasha. :)

Ever since mrsully bought his nice Duo Jet with a Bigsby, I have been sort of "gassing" for one of those. They seem incredibly versatile. Fingerpicking on an electric doesn't work as well on all electrics for some reason.

Archived