Swapping Neck on Basswood Strat - Risk of Stripping Screw Holes

J.B. Lee

• Members

I just received a new Squier Deluxe Stratocaster in Daphne Blue and am already thinking of swapping out the untinted maple neck with a Classic Vibe neck I found on eBay. With the body being basswood, which is notoriously soft, is there much danger of accidentally stripping out the screw holes through the body? Obviously I'll go slow with a handheld screw driver (no power tools) but not being much into woodworking and such I don't know how "soft" the basswood really is. Anyone have any experience with this that could tell me if this is potentially a bad idea? Thanks for your input.

• Members

The screw holes in the body locate the neck. They are drilled undersized and the screws will thread through the body into the neck. Some guys ream the holes so the screws are a press fit to be sure the neck is pulled tight against the neck pocket when tightened.

If the screw holes in the body fit the screws too tightly, the neck can be pushed away from the body with the screws tightly bottomed out against the body. The clamping action between the neck plate and the screws threading into the neck are what counts.

You have nothing to be concerned over, just be careful to slide the neck forward and out of the neck pocket rather than lifting or rocking it out. You can chip that delicate corner piece on the body alongside the neck pretty easily if the neck is a tight fit. Also, make a note of how tight the screws are when you remove them. You don't need to overtighten them, just snug them down.

• Members

The screw holes in the body locate the neck. They are drilled undersized and the screws will thread through the body into the neck. Some guys ream the holes so the screws are a press fit to be sure the neck is pulled tight against the neck pocket when tightened.

I ream the body holes myself, and I like the results. Not a *huge* difference in tone, but it makes good mechanical sense. Instead of exerting/wasting energy on the threads (mistakenly) cut in the body, most of the torque is put toward actually tightening the neck to the body.

To the OP, just be sure that you don't cross-thread your screws in the neck when you go to actually attach the new one. Place the screw through the body and into the neck hole, then turn the screw counterclockwise until you feel it 'drop' into the threads in the neck hole. Then tighten.

• Members

The wood of the body should not matter. It is the wood of the neck that will determine stripping, that is the wood that the screws will be mounting into. The screws should do no more that lightly pass thru the body, they should not thread into the body at all.

• Members

You'll want to drill out the holes in the body so that the screws pass thru freely_most likely a 3/16th drill bit will do. Not complicated...a monkey could do it.

Reason: you don't want the screws following the threads of the body but rather the threads of the new neck. It's not too much of a deal if your reattaching the same neck & body...but a different neck will have it's own thread pattern...you want the screws following the necks thread pattern. (This is also important when shimming.)

:cop:DO NOT SLIDE NECK OFF:

Check your new neck or one you have laying around and you'll see that the butt of the neck, the part that fits in the neck pocket, is wider and then narrows slightly.

So, DO NOT slide the neck out in a forwards manner but instead lift the neck straight up and out of the pocket.

• Members

I just received a new Squier Deluxe Stratocaster in Daphne Blue and am already thinking of swapping out the untinted maple neck with a Classic Vibe neck I found on eBay. With the body being basswood, which is notoriously soft, is there much danger of accidentally stripping out the screw holes through the body? Obviously I'll go slow with a handheld screw driver (no power tools) but not being much into woodworking and such I don't know how "soft" the basswood really is. Anyone have any experience with this that could tell me if this is potentially a bad idea? Thanks for your input.

Is there THAT much difference in neck shape between them? Isn't the deluxe neck untinted?

IMO If you don't have the tools to drill out the body holes, even if you do, I would leave well enough alone.

• Members

Is there THAT much difference in neck shape between them? Isn't the deluxe neck untinted?

IMO If you don't have the tools to drill out the body holes, even if you do, I would leave well enough alone.

I'm actually swapping for aesthetic reasons. The Deluxe neck is untinted (which I don't like) so I'm putting on the yellow tinted Classic Vibe neck. I don't expect the neck shape to be substantially different.

The holes in the body may well be reamed. I haven't taken the neck off yet, and probably won't until the new neck arrives. I'm hoping that two Squier Stratocasters, both from the upper end of the range, will have identical neck heels, neck pockets, screws, etc. The Deluxe is from Indonesia, the Classic Vibe is from China, so that could be an issue. I got a good deal on the new neck and could always sell it back on eBay without much of a loss. Once I have the new neck in hand I'll know a lot more about how things are going to match up.

• Members

I'm actually swapping for aesthetic reasons. The Deluxe neck is untinted (which I don't like) so I'm putting on the yellow tinted Classic Vibe neck. I don't expect the neck shape to be substantially different.

The holes in the body may well be reamed. I haven't taken the neck off yet, and probably won't until the new neck arrives. I'm hoping that two Squier Stratocasters, both from the upper end of the range, will have identical neck heels, neck pockets, screws, etc. The Deluxe is from Indonesia, the Classic Vibe is from China, so that could be an issue. I got a good deal on the new neck and could always sell it back on eBay without much of a loss. Once I have the new neck in hand I'll know a lot more about how things are going to match up.

Sorry. misread your post regarding the tinted part.:facepalm: Hopefully everything will line up.

• Members

I noticed that the Standard neck pocket is a bit smaller than the Affinity neck pocket. Good luck with that.

• Members

Basswood won't be a problem but..

Why not tint the neck you have? It's got the nicer frets and 22 of 'em!

Also, are you sure you like the CV neck shape?

I think it may have vintage(small) frets! (which I hate personally)

• Members

Basswood won't be a problem but..

Why not tint the neck you have? It's got the nicer frets and 22 of 'em!

Also, are you sure you like the CV neck shape?

I think it may have vintage(small) frets! (which I hate personally)

According to the Squier website both necks are 9.5" radius c-shape necks with medium jumbo frets. The main practical differences would be the extra fret I'm losing (no biggie for what I play) and gloss vs satin feel. I know Affinity series guitars are sort of oddballs with their thin bodies and narrow nuts, so I'm hoping that's not too much of an indication of fit between these two guitars. I guess with imports it's always a crapshoot though.

Tinting this neck was actually my original plan, but after reading up I just don't feel too comfortable with it. I feel like this way if I start down the road and hit a roadblock I can back it up, put the original neck on, and maybe just learn to love it.

Archived