Recommend me a good guitar polish.....

kylef

• Members

Want to treat my 355 and White Falcon etc to some really good polish. I have Jim Dunlop stuff and its just not worth putting on anymore tbh, for all it does.

I want to get stuff that will give a really good shine. What do you guys use with your more expensive instruments? Any pics?

Thanks

• Members

I use Gibson's Pump Polish on everything. It's made for guitars....not cars.

Using car care products is common and can be much cheaper than "guitar" products. Meguiars even has its own line with Fender.

• Members

Using car care products is common and can be much cheaper than "guitar" products. Meguiars even has its own line with Fender.

I have used the Meguiars stuff and have had good luck with it. I used to use the Gibson stuff before and had good luck with that. I was always told to never use anything but guitar polish because others can damage or ruin the finish.. BS???

• Members

Using car care products is common and can be much cheaper than "guitar" products.
Meguiars even has its own line with Fender

That would make it guitar polish...

Do they recommend you use that stuff on your car?

Cheaper? How much of the stuff you use on your guitars? Most of the stuff I buy will last a lifetime. You trying to save .00000000001 cent a day?

• Members

That would make it guitar polish...

Do they recommend you use that stuff on your car?

Cheaper? How much of the stuff you use on your guitars? Most of the stuff I buy will last a lifetime. You trying to save .00000000001 cent a day?

When I first bought the Meguiars I had multiple guitars, maybe two dozen. Also a couple of basses. I don't recall the price back then. The Turtle Wax was under $5. Before buying the Turtle Wax I had gone through many "guitar" waxes and care products (Gibson, Fender, Dunlop, Clayton, Dean Markley, etc.). They did not last a lifetime, even though I only used them 3 or 4 times a year per guitar. For my needs, it made sense to spend $5 vs. $25 (5 times as much) for the equivalent "guitar" product (16 oz. vs. 4 oz.). And using a 16 oz. bottle was more convenient than going through 4 oz. bottles. The Gibson stuff I still have (but don't use) was even smaller at 2 oz.

I also use Formby's

• Members

Most polishes are fine for a poly finish, nitro is more sensitive. I use cut and polish wax for cars on my poly finishes when there is scratching and it works amazing. It's called
kitten cut and polish.

Yes, for nitro I used the Gibson products that Gibson recommended. I don't have much experience with those, though, since I quickly sold my Gibsons.

• Members

GHS New Age Guitar Gloss. Had the same bottle for years. Apply / remove with a microfiber towel. Works for me. I have read that automotive waxes (at least the silicone based ones) can be difficult to remove completely when doing a refin, which can cause issues with the new finish.

• Members

Trut. I use 100% carnuba, a.k.a. Kit car wax. It makes my guitars shine like a new dime on a goat's ass.

• Members

Any wax available over the counter. Just a damp sponge or cloth as the manufacturer suggests with a little soap. I think I use Behold. Some cheap {censored} at Dollar General!

I have used Behold and Lemon Pledge with great results. But it doesn't last a long time.

• Members

+1, love the stuff.

That stuff has lacquer in it. Says so right on the label. Would that build up over time?

I mostly use different car products and when I want to really bring the shine up to the top, Novus #2.

• Members

That stuff has lacquer in it. Says so right on the label. Would that build up over time?

I mostly use different car products and when I want to really bring the shine up to the top, Novus #2.

Yes it does, but since I have nitro-finished guitars, I want to make sure nothing I use to clean/polish screws up the finish. I don't use it frequently enough to create any problems.

Archived