So Craig, what's UAD unveiling later this week at NAMM?

Bookumdano2

• Members

The rep said that it's the same converters as on their other stuff, for whatever that's worth, but we'll see when a few of these have been out in the world for a while. But yes, the drivers would also be an issue. The interface looks really promising, though.

If the convertors are the same as the 2192, then this is a good deal. I`ll be keeping a close eye on this, reading all the reviews and of course, listening to users. My fingers are crossed.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You always have to take what a marketing guy says with a grain of salt, but the guy said that they didn't cut corners with the converters, and said that monetarily, they are taking a hit with the UAD stuff.

There are four mic preamps. I forgot to ask about these.

The UAD stuff apparently can be used in numerous DAWs and don't need to be upgraded. If you already purchased UAD stuff, it'll work in there. If you want to purchase more, it'll work in there as well.

As Alndn2 mentions, the questions are also about drivers.

There is a Thunderbolt provision here. IOW, it's "Thunderbolt ready". Of course, that will probably cost you $500 for the Thunderbolt card.

• Members

Huh. Interesting. I suppose it might be interesting to me if I didn't already have a great console/recording interface. I'm not sure why anyone would want to track with plugins, and I wonder what the price tag will be, but it looks like a pretty cool thing.

I'm curious, when UAD says you can track through the plugins on this thing, does it mean you can monitor through them, but print dry? There's plenty of uses for that. Not so much actually tracking to disk with the plugin printed.. Is that what UAD means?

• CMS Author

I'm curious, when UAD says you can track through the plugins on this thing, does it mean you can monitor through them, but print dry?

Isn't that pretty much what everybody does? What UAD suggested is that (given enough DSP power) you could virtually track your session on a Studer 827. But I'll bet that Lee would still rather track the session on a real 827. So would I.

• Members

Nothing is ever the same.
;)

Yeah, I know and considering the designer of the 2192 is now with Burl (at least thats what I read over at GS), you have to wonder where corners were cut. Again, I`m not jumping to any conclusions, just looking forward to real world users and reviews...

Honestly though, these days magazine reviews mean very little to me. They always find something nice to say. You know? Something like, "Yeah, so... this mic pre doesn`t sound good on anything but if you`re looking for that 70s low fi recording, this is the pre for you! blah blah blah..."

:lol:

• Members

Isn't that pretty much what everybody does?

Yeah, exactly.

What UAD suggested is that (given enough DSP power) you could virtually track your session on a Studer 827. But I'll bet that Lee would still rather track the session on a real 827. So would I.

Well, sure, but even if I was going to use the plugs, I wouldn't use them till I was done tracking, so I can tweak the settings how I want them on the finished tracks.

• Members

Isn't that pretty much what everybody does? What UAD suggested is that (given enough DSP power) you could virtually track your session on a Studer 827. But I'll bet that Lee would still rather track the session on a real 827. So would I.

That didn't answer my question.

Does anyone know? Does the UAD run the mixer too? Otherwise I don't see how you could track through those plugins without the same kind of latency that plagues other native plugins... the audio would still need to be routed in and out of the software mixer, unless the UAD box handles the mixing as well.

If by tracking through plugs they mean printing to disk with the effects, no thanks! But if they're getting throughput times like a ProTools HD system it's something to consider. I doubt it though, it doesn't make sense.

• Moderators

That didn't answer my question.

Does anyone know? Does the UAD run the mixer too? Otherwise I don't see how you could track through those plugins without the same kind of latency that plagues other native plugins... the audio would still need to be routed in and out of the software mixer, unless the UAD box handles the mixing as well.

If by tracking through plugs they mean printing to disk with the effects, no thanks! But if they're getting throughput times like a ProTools HD system it's something to consider. I doubt it though, it doesn't make sense.

From UA's literature:

"Realtime UAD Processing for low-latency (sub-2ms) tracking and mixing w/ UAD Powered Plug-Ins"

That "implies" that tracking processing and monitoring is done on the front end along with conversion and not on the back end coming back out of the mixer...

• Moderators

There is no latency in digital audio production's DSP today. The machine starts to play when all is synced and not a milliseconds before.

And there is direct monitoring for singerss and musicians who record with headphones

Not always. Especially if you wanted to track and monitor through a software compressor for instance.

• Members

Looks really good. Does it come with a bunch of their plug in's that are usually only available on a UAD type card? The price seems reasonable. Yup, will have to wait and see on the clock, converter and mic pre reviews.

• Members

Looks
really
good. Does it come with a bunch of their plug in's that are usually only available on a UAD type card?

Yes, it comes with the same plugins that come with a card by default, plus you can buy more from their store just like you can with the card.

• Members

From UA's literature:

"Realtime UAD Processing for low-latency (sub-2ms) tracking and mixing w/ UAD Powered Plug-Ins"

That "implies" that tracking processing and monitoring is done on the front end along with conversion and not on the back end coming back out of the mixer...

The plug-ins can indeed be used for tracking, but the important aspect AFAIC is that laptop jockeys can use Apollo as a live performance interface AND take advantage of the plug-ins.

Of course you'll have the A/D and D/A delay (around 1.2ms total) but whatever delay occurs through the plugs will be negligible compared to what you'd have going through a computer.

• Members

As a PC user I'm mostly concerned about performance of audio and plugins simultaneously through FW800 as a realistic ThunderBolt option won't be availible to me until at least the end of the year, and for laptops maybe never.

Actually Intel says mid-year for thunderbolt on Windows...here's the scoop, straight from Intel.

[video=youtube;gl0WM0v2kh4]

• CMS Author

Actually Intel says mid-year for thunderbolt on Windows...here's the scoop, straight from Intel.

I wanted to grab that guy after the UA press conference and ask him this very question. I know that Apple had an exclusive on Thunderbolt for two years, but I don't know when that clock started.

I won't be impressed with that nanoseconds of latency claim until I can (or rather, can't) measure it myself. I wouldn't be too surprised that the potential is there, but the best analog in-to-out latency I've measured in any device that I can afford (or con someone into lending me) has been about 0.7 ms. And the real concern about latency among the DAW set is with plug-ins, either signal processors or virtual instruments. The present gozinta and gozouta speed is fast enough so that reducing it doesn't make any significant improvement in performance.

This is bound to change with faster computers and better ways to get in and out of the operating system, but anyone who dreams that connecting an Apollo up to a computer through Thunderbolt will make their gibabyte-sampled piano respond like a Steinway will have at least a couple more years to nap.

By the way, Craig, did you have a good show? I can't remember one where I didn't run into you somewhere (though I did see Mats for a minute if that counts, didn't see Jon, and I never see Phil).

• Members

...waiting for some reviews...and how it stacks up against apogee and prism converters

Clint Ward, formerly with Apple's Logic team, is now with Apogee (draw your own conclusions!) and talking about getting me an Apogee Symphony for review. If it's here at the same time as Apollo, I'll put them in a steel cage, armed only with patch cables and PDF documention, and see who wins.

• Members

By the way, Craig, did you have a good show? I can't remember one where I didn't run into you somewhere (though I did see Mats for a minute if that counts, didn't see Jon, and I never see Phil).

I've never had a busier show, or one where I felt I saw so little of it. Thankfully we had enough people to get some decent coverage, but we had to do a divide-and-conquer strategy where we just conceded each person would cover a particular part of the show, and leave it at that. Pretty nuts, eh? I think they're letting in too many non-industry people, frankly.

• CMS Author

Pretty nuts, eh? I think they're letting in too many non-industry people, frankly.

Yeah, I don't know where they're all coming from. Friday was more crowded than ever, at least around things I wanted to see. I had to plan my first-things-Saturday to get my hands on some stuff and people.

Saturday morning the line waiting to get into Hall E at opening time was three widths of the hall long at the bottom of the escalator and the line extended into the main lobby. They weren't letting anyone else on the escalator down to that hall but those with exhibitor or press badges. I should have taken a photo.

• Members

So far only one Asus board and one or 2 prebuilts are projected to have TB by midyear. As a PC user I'm going to have to factor in the price of a new PC besides the $500.00 TB option. If I manage to scrape up the 2 grand for the duo I'm going to have to know how this thing performs overall(audio/plugs) through FW800 because that's how I'll be using it for a while realistically.

Archived