NGD - 50s Tribute Humbucker - WOW

pluginbabies

• Members

Sorry to all the guys who aren't in Europe, but had to share my NGD!

This is my first Gibson, I've got Epi and Edwards les pauls but this thing is awesome. Difficult to compare to the Edwards as that's a Custom which is about as far removed as you can get from this in a LP. The finish is amazing, and much to my surprise and delight there are no dodgy fake wear patches like others i've seen, not even on the upper edge. The plain top is gorgeous (the pics don't quite show it), with the veeeeeeeeeeery tiniest bit of flame at the bottom. The grain is so well matched (not bookmatched) it almost looks like a 1-piece top and I must have lucked out as its got a 2 PIECE BACK, with the join just a couple of mm from dead centre. Also heard bad things about the stock pickups, but they're sound great for my liking, pretty hot. And it DOES have the pointers on the knobs! I was worried about the 50s neck having really liked the 60s, but its not that bad and I didn't want to miss the boat on this one.

For the less good - the plastics on the pickup surround and pickguard have been changed from the barbie pink on the P90 50s/60s tributes to a much nicer cream, but the switch washer and jack plate are still barbie pink - will be changing these soon. The jack plate is also slightly wonky - but i've seen this on loads of tribute pics - even the one on the gibson website! The tape around the coils on the pickups is also a bit loose and raggy, but I'll be getting some covers soon which will cover that up.

All in all, I'm astounded by the quality at this price (for a Gibson). Only available from Thomann in Germany at the moment, 699 Euros (will have to see what that is in pounds on my credit card statement!). Quick tip - go for a 'creative bundle', some things you can add without changing the price, so I ended up with a 6m fabric wrapped cable, a suede strap and a set of ernies included in the price! Winner!

Anyway, enough of the chat - here are the pics

P1020421.jpg

P1020422.jpg

P1020423.jpg

P1020424.jpg

P1020425.jpg

P1020426.jpg

• Members
...they ...have ...50's ...tributes ... ... with humbuckers?

{censored}. Want.

NICE!

HNGD!!!!!!!!!!!

You should post a pic of the side so I can see where the top meets the body. I like when there's no binding.

Look for a used Faded Maple Top. They were a GC exclusive from 2006 to 2008. Same thin nitro finish, 1959 profile neck, 490R/498T. They originally came with black plastic trim. I swapped out the pickup rings, poker chip, and switch tip; took off the pickguard; put on reflectors and position indicators, and...voila!

1417.jpg

• Members

Look for a used Faded Maple Top. They were a GC exclusive from 2006 to 2008. Same thin nitro finish, 1959 profile neck, 490R/498T. They originally came with black plastic trim. I swapped out the pickup rings, poker chip, and switch tip; took off the pickguard; put on reflectors and position indicators, and...voila!

1417.jpg

Ah ok, badass. Nice work sir, I love me some tasteful mods. Mods that make you go "When did they make that model?" instead of "When did you slap that {censored} on there?"

• Members
Why can't we have these in the USA!.

Must be payback for all the awesome special editions that you get over there ;) I think it'll be released in the US soon (the Gibson website says 'initially' available exclusively at Thomman). I'm guessing Gibson will make whatever you want if you're big enough to place a chunky order - like Thomann or Guitar Center.

Thanks for all the nice comments! No boobies yet though!?!?

Archived