Got my new BG pups A3 Rock Winds. (NPD)

twotimingpete

• Members

----

edit: I recorded some doodling that I think demonstrates the boldness of the neck pickup and also shows that the bridge has a bit of a p90 flavor to it.

http://www.gulchcomic.com/misc2/rockwind1.mp3

http://www.gulchcomic.com/misc2/rockwind2.mp3

-----

A couple of months ago I rambled off a long, incoherent inquiry to bryan describing the sound I was looking for in a tele bridge. I'm not sure how he sorted it out, since I'm an idiot, but we decided I needed a moderately wound A3 Rock Wind, since the crux of my request was "less twang" and "can push an amp a bit more".

About a week ago I realized that my "turn" should be coming along soon, and even though I recently installed a duncan mini humbucker in my tele's neck, I asked bryan, on a whim, if a second pickup could still be added to the same order. He agreed and I put in for an A3 rock wind neck to go along with the bridge.

rockwind1.jpg

From what I understand, mine was wound somewhat milder than the standard A3 rock wind bridge

They showed up today. Since I'm still recovering from a pretty involved elective surgery (seriously!) I had nothing better to do and got right to work.

rockwind2.jpg

Halfway there

rockwind3.jpg

An advanced soldering technique is demonstrated. Not for beginners. And yes, that's an 80 watt weller. anything less is for PUSSIES

rockwind4.jpg

And thanks to the magic of television, we're done!

Initial impressions after a day of fucking around? Very lively pickups! I can compare them directly to the stockers, (my tele being a 2009 fender standard), since I've been using them a lot -- The A3 bridge is considerably fuller and hotter, and, as promised, has little twang. It's honestly comparable to a p90 at this point. Bryan describing this as the closest thing to a P90 sound of the tele bridges he makes seems to be pretty accurate.

The neck, however, does not sound like a p90. It still sounds like a tele neck, however, it's more sensitive as well as hotter. The key word here seems to be "lively". Again, Bryan's description ("like a standard tele neck but with more clarity and dimension") seems apt.

If you want an angry tele, (and mine is pissed) these would be good pickup choices. I'm definitely digging them.

rockwind6.jpg

Duncan SM-1N mini humbucker and GFS W/B/W pickguard

though I did have a favorably reaction to this duncan SM-1 neck minibucker, I have to say I think I prefer the single coil liveliness, and yes, hotterness of the new rock wind. This is very mild. Anyone want it? how about $55 for it with the pickguard thrown in.

Anyway, regarding the rock winds, I'll probably need more time before I can come down with a "final judgement" since the new-factor is in full effect, but I have gone through the "new factor" thing with gear enough times that I think I can somewhat account for it. I think these will probably be keepers.

I plan to do some sound clips soon, and use them in my next song recording. I also will have a direct sound comparison between the stock bridge and the A3 rockwind bridge using the exact same everything. Stay tuned.

And as a spare thought...

rockwind5.jpg

I've always wondered why teles have these little tabs screwed into the body that the grounding wires pass through. Is this really necessary? I go along with it to be on the safe side, but other guitars I've owned don't have this arrangement and I have to wonder if it's really necessary.

• Members

Very entertaining first post! I enjoyed that.

I also have bg Rockwind A3 in my parts-tele and I love them. I didn't ask for any special winding so I don't know if mine are close to yours. Maybe Bryan could answer this if he pops in this thread and sees my question. Just curious, I'm happy with my bg A3RW set.

• Members

Cool. I'll be facing a decision on what BG Tele Bridge pup to chose when I get around to working on my Frankentele project. I did order a BG Hot90 for my Agile last week and alas I will have to wait.........

I have the same SD mini-hum and think it is one of Seymour Duncan's better pups. It is sitting in my pickup and parts box. I won't sell it as one of these days I may find a home for it.

• Members

Nice write up Matt!!

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I'm glad you're digging the pups so far.

Richard, you set is similar but i wound your set a touch hotter than Matt's. Typically the A3 Rock winds are a little hotter than what i made Matt's set.

I'd love to hear clips!!!

• Members

My position on whether the 3 brass saddle bridge setup contributes to a bit of the tele sound is evolving. I think it may contribute to a certain component of the tele sound, because I'm starting to think I can even hear it unplugged. I want to go back and test the 6 saddle again with these pickups, but I'm far too lazy to swap everything out right now.

wilkbridge.jpg

Wilkinson vintage style bridge

What I've got right now is something a little bit twangier than a P90, but still, in my judgement, in the neighborhood of a P90 because it has some of that gutsy lower midrange. it's a pretty versatile pickup. It's like if you badly pissed off an ordinary tele bridge.

I'll post something soon.

• Members

I recorded some doodling that I think demonstrates the boldness of the neck pickup and also shows that the bridge has a bit of a p90 flavor to it.

the lack of rythm isn't indicative of an inability to keep time. it's a REFUSAL to. keep your rules, pussies

cool clips. Thanks for sharing, has my interest peaked even more

• Members

Nice write up Matt!!

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I'm glad you're digging the pups so far.

Richard, you set is similar but i wound your set a touch hotter than Matt's. Typically the A3 Rock winds are a little hotter than what i made Matt's set.

I'd love to hear clips!!!

Hard to make a true comparison with twotimingpete's pups as we don't have the same settings, guitar, etc but here's a clip of my A3 RockWind set. The guitar they're in is in need of a good set-up but I think it gives an idea of the character of the pup set. I play similar phrases between the pups to better compare them.

Clean:

0:00 neck

0:15 middle (both pups)

0:26 bridge

0:42 neck

0:52 middle

1:03 bridge

With a bit of gain:

1:20 neck

1:35 middle

1:44 bridge

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10824989

• Members

It doesn't sound overtly P90ish to me, but then again all of my experience is with P90 equipped LPs. Maybe that's what a P90 in a Fender sounds like?

I'm not sure what else to compare it to. it doesn't really sound like a vintage tele bridge either, or a strat bridge for that matter. all I know for sure is that I like it.

Archived