Help! Guitar stolen - Poway CA

poderoso

• Members

Hey guys,

Because of my stupidity, my guitar got stolen in my car parked outside my apartment. I dont wanna get into details coz its mostly my stupidity. (i accidentally left my trunk open with my guitar in it)

But anyways, has anyone had their gear stolen? What actions did you take to get it back? and is there a good chance that you'll get your gear back?

Im going to file a police report later. But heres my guitar's info:

LTD M-350 (idk what the color is called)

Serial number: E916259

and besides the serial number i also have secret ways to identify it.

any help is appreciated!

heres a couple pics

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

• Members

Not sure how the law works in the US but if you spot it in a pawn shop or on CL in the UK then having a police report already filed and a criminal reference number makes it much easier for the cops to help you retrieve it. And if it's easier for the cops then they're more likely to decide to make it a priority!

Bad luck though - hope you get it back - and hope you're insured for that kind of thing.

If you are insured then edit your post before claiming - the insurance company sharks may well do a quick google and find this thread about the car being unlocked - which means they may wriggle their slimy selves out of paying.

• Members

yeah i guess so... but dont pawn shops check if with the police if the gear their about to buy is stolen?

I don't think they actively check, but I might be wrong about that. They are obligated to hold for 30 days to wait and see if someone comes in with proof that an item was stolen from them.

• Members

Not sure how the law works in the US but if you spot it in a pawn shop or on CL in the UK then having a police report already filed and a criminal reference number makes it much easier for the cops to help you retrieve it. And if it's easier for the cops then they're more likely to decide to make it a priority!

Bad luck though - hope you get it back - and hope you're insured for that kind of thing.

If you are insured then edit your post before claiming - the insurance company sharks may well do a quick google and find this thread about the car being unlocked - which means they may wriggle their slimy selves out of paying.

sadly, no im not insured. but im just glad my cheapest guitar got stolen instead of my taylors or music man. so im still relieved in a way.

and thanks for the responses. i guess i'll just keep an eye on pawnshops and cl.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

BUMP!!!

HCAF member learningguitar PM'd me friday night and found this on ebay. its being sold by a local pawnshop. apparently, it didnt check out when he sent the serial number to the cops. since me and the pawnshop are both victims I ended up paying the guy how much he pawned it for. $75. But whatever. its either that or take it to court and not see my guitar for a year or two as evidence and end up paying in the long run. so i just paid $75.

BUT THERE'S A SILVER LINING!

the pawnshop has the info of the guy that stole the guitar. Im gonna report it to my local sheriff so they can pick the guy up and lock him up:)

• Members

Pawn shops only check on the high end stuff or if the person trying to pawn something raises their suspicion. The guys I know will usually ask a few random questions about an item if they don't know you well. They then judge your answers and your mannerism. If they get suspicious they'll turn the item down. But they'll stall the person while calling the cops.

• Members

Well, I'm really glad that you got your guitar back and I'm hoping tht this will be a little lesson to you about taking care of your valuables.

Walking past an open car trunk and seeing a guitar or a guitar case can be a temptation even for an otherwise honest man. You might also think of what the outcome might have been if the guy who snagged your axe was a player who simple added that guitar to his little collection. Then it's be bye-bye forevermore.

I'm just sayin, because I got robbed once and they cleaned out everything I owned, except my guitar and the clothes on my back.

That was a bad night!

• Members

Glad you got yours back. I actually had my house cleaned out a little over a year ago. I furnished the police with all serial numbers, pictures and descriptions but had none of my gear returned. Although I had a LOT stolen. Here is a SMALL list, Gibson SG Standard w/bigsby, Gibson Sg Special in heritage cherry, Gibson Sg Faded brown, Gibson Les Paul VM, Orange Rockerverb 50, Orange 4x12, Orange 2x12, Sovtek Mig 50, Orange Open Back 2x12, Fender cyclone 2, Fender Tom Delonge strat, mesa single rectifier, all my pedals chords, cases, road cases etc.. etc. No insurance, it was gear purchased with my sign on Bonus from the US Army.

• Members

Glad you got yours back. I actually had my house cleaned out a little over a year ago. I furnished the police with all serial numbers, pictures and descriptions but had none of my gear returned. Although I had a LOT stolen. Here is a SMALL list, Gibson SG Standard w/bigsby, Gibson Sg Special in heritage cherry, Gibson Sg Faded brown, Gibson Les Paul VM, Orange Rockerverb 50, Orange 4x12, Orange 2x12, Sovtek Mig 50, Orange Open Back 2x12, Fender cyclone 2, Fender Tom Delonge strat, mesa single rectifier, all my pedals chords, cases, road cases etc.. etc. No insurance, it was gear purchased with my sign on Bonus from the US Army.

Thats weird....

I was in Michjigan on vacation and I bought a pile that included almost all of that stuff you mention from a guy who said he was moving and needed some fast cash. He only wanted $900 Cash, so how could I refuse?

Hmmm....

Hey... Just joking!

• Members

Glad you got it back but this should seriously teach you a lesson on being careless as it could of been your most expensive guitar. My wife had this happen two years ago as she left her pocketbook locked in the car -in a good neighborhood lol- only to find the window broken and it gone. I told her she should of just put up a sign that said rob me. I am sure a lot of guys here could tell a story about doing a gig and having 5 friends by their gig and walking to the bar to comeback and find their prized ax gone.

Let me just say if God forbid anyone has a rare guitar stolen of course keep an eye on Ebay and CL but when you hit every Pawn shop walk in like you are just browsing and then ask them if they have anything good like a Gibson, Fender, PRS or whatever high end guitar you got jacked for. Today mostly all Pawn shops know what guitars are worth big bucks and a lot of them keep the good gear in the back. Also log all your guitars if you have a few and write down serial numbers or any distinguishing marks and keep pictures.

• Members

The pawnshop in our town is owned by some folks who also own a shop in LAs Vegas and I've heard from a former employee that when they buy guitars and otherr expensive items, they load the van and drive the loot to thier LV location for sale. It makes sense because I've never ever seen a nice guitar ib the place and what they have is overpriced.

• Members

The bad news is the person that took it out of your trunk could have easily written down and traced your tag number and now you may be soon getting a home robbery. Tighten up your home security, as they probably have figured out you have more guitars at home.

• Members

The bad news is the person that took it out of your trunk could have easily written down and traced your tag number and now you may be soon getting a home robbery.

If the crook was a smart crook, maybe. Most crooks are stupid due to substance abuse.

Archived