Seagate crams 1TB in 1 square inch

Phait

• Members

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/19/seagate-hits-one-terabit-per-square-inch-compares-self-favorabl/

More + press release at link

Seagate (NASDAQ:STX) has become the first hard drive maker to achieve the milestone storage density of 1 terabit (1 trillion bits) per square inch, producing a demonstration of the technology that promises to double the storage capacity of today's hard drives upon its introduction later this decade and give rise to 3.5-inch hard drives with an extraordinary capacity of up to 60 terabytes over the 10 years that follow

• Members

with a 20% failure rate! Yeah!

Yeah, there's that. I had two Seagate external drives go belly up. In a row.

Now, I know that some of my internal drives are made by Seagate as well, but it's just odd that both of those would go bad in a row. I've had great luck with Glyph, as expensive as they are, but two Seagate external drives and one OWC Mercury Elite went kablooey.

• Members

Yeah, there's that. I had two Seagate external drives go belly up. In a row.

Now, I know that some of my internal drives are made by Seagate as well, but it's just odd that both of those would go bad in a row. I've had great luck with Glyph, as expensive as they are, but two Seagate external drives and one OWC Mercury Elite went kablooey.

So you'd definitely suggest Glyph? Just saw a 1 TB dual drive external (2x500GB) for $350. I'd plunk the cash down. Just wonder if I can use each drive seperately?

• Members

I don't know. They did sell drives as single drives, but I noticed they are going more and more for the dual drive type.

I had this firewire mishap last year in which a bunch of my external drives fried, and those aren't the ones that I counted when I mentioned the OWC and two Seagates. Anyway, the two Glyphs I had were the only ones that survived. One of them is six years old, and it keeps working really well. I'm probably only going to buy those for external drives from now on. They are twice as expensive as other drives, but my information is valuable, and I have no problem paying more if it keeps the information safe. The enclosures are good and beefy and solid, and I just feel better. If you don't value your information as greatly, then I'd get something cheaper, but if it's your art, your livelihood, your family photos, your prized work, whatever, I'd definitely give Glyph a strong consideration.

• Members

Glyph only makes enclosers and uses Seagate drives.

Again, yes, I know that Seagate makes a lot of my external and internal drives and that other manufacturers make the enclosure. But the enclosure is important because....well, it's an external drive.

Now, sure, if the external drive enclosure (the firewire, whatever) goes kablooey, you have the option of taking the drive out and putting it in the computer, assuming that it's the same kind of drive (it's compatible, IOW).

• CMS Author

Now, I know that some of my internal drives are made by Seagate as well, but it's just odd that both of those would go bad in a row.

When off-the-shelf external drives became popular a few years back, there were a lot of failures which, it seems, were attributed to insufficient cooling. They seemed to work OK when they spent most of their time disconnected and only powered up when it was time to do a backup or you had a batch of stuff to offload, but people were leaving them connected all the time and they'd overheat.

I don't know if they've improved this in recent models. I've never bought a pre-packaged one, I've only bought a few cases and installed drives of my own choice (mostly Western Digital), and still, I only connect them when I want to use them. One of my external drive cases, an Antec, has an external power supply, a fan, and both Firewire and USB. I should have bought a couple more of those while they were available. I think it was a closeout deal at Micro Center and cost about $20. It's IDE on the inside so that limits the size and availability of new drives, so it's not a long term solution.

Another thing I've been using for external drives, and I think we've talked about this before, is a dock for an uncased drive.

• Members

I used to work for Seagate. Their manufacturing and QC procedures are some of the shoddiest I've ever seen. Worse than SCI, who used to make Dell motherboards.

The 20% failure rate (for customers) seems to be about right. Ever seen 100,000 drives on racks awaiting rework, with engineers modifying the QC tests in an effort to get them out of the factory? And that's before you get to warranty returns.

R+D news stories are one thing, I'd go with a different brand.

• Members

They should focus on making high quality drives that dont fail first.

Then worry about something being high tech or ultra small.

In my day job I see more Seagates fail than any other drive.

If they focused on making something good, they would have a better

market for their product whatever it is.

• Members

I used to work for Seagate. Their manufacturing and QC procedures are some of the shoddiest I've ever seen. Worse than SCI, who used to make Dell motherboards.

The 20% failure rate (for customers) seems to be about right. Ever seen 100,000 drives on racks awaiting rework, with engineers
modifying the QC tests in an effort to get them out of the factory
? And that's before you get to warranty returns.

R+D news stories are one thing, I'd go with a different brand.

what brand?? I used to like Samsung :(

• Members

When off-the-shelf external drives became popular a few years back, there were a lot of failures which, it seems, were attributed to insufficient cooling. They seemed to work OK when they spent most of their time disconnected and only powered up when it was time to do a backup or you had a batch of stuff to offload, but people were leaving them connected all the time and they'd overheat.

I don't know if they've improved this in recent models. I've never bought a pre-packaged one, I've only bought a few cases and installed drives of my own choice (mostly Western Digital), and still, I only connect them when I want to use them.

I have TWO different 1 TB external USB 2.0 drives that are hooked up to my satellite boxes. They have been running continuously for more than 2 years. They occassionally get FRAGMENTED and I will need to re-format and recopy the data back but generally they are fine. Other problems will crop up on days when I'm stupid :facepalm: and unplug it while it is being written to.

I'm anxious for the 3.0 standard for new satellite boxes , because these USB HDs have a few hiccups when retrieving HD programs that I have recorded (@ the rate of 5 gigabytes per hour)....but other than that, considering how I have abused these ....they are very dependable.

Did I forget to mention that one is sitting on the Sony Stereo Amp (CAVALRY 1 TB) and the other is next to the hot satellite box? (WD Passport 1TB)

I know that the WD "goes to sleep" when data isn't being transmitted to or from it. That might help.

Dan

• Members

what brand?? I used to like Samsung
:(

Actually I was in admin there, so I'm no expert on different brands. :lol: It just amazes me sometimes that they're still trading, having seen their operation in action.

FWIW, I've been using a Lacie external FW drive for 8+ years, with no problems..

Archived