NGD! Charvel Content

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

So basically I developed this incredible Fender GAS. My first few basses/guitars were Squier and Fender. Lately I've been playing an LP so I think I just missed them. :idk:

I was thinking about a Blacktop Jaguar, but noticed this Charvel when out shopping for a Jag. I loved everything but the neck and the trem, so I wrote it off. But then, after awhile, I just thought "I don't have a Floyd guitar... why not?" so after three separate trips to Sam Ash to play her, it was time to put my money where my mouth is, before a Wayne's World situation started to develop. "Can I put the Charvel back now?"

DSCN1129.jpg

I picked it up yesterday. Took it home to unlock the nut and reset the fine tuners, as a couple were all the way down and still flat, then it was off to practice.

Glad I got to bench test it the first day.

The sound? Awesome. I love it. I had to crank the bridge pickup up a little bit, but it truly screams.

The feel? This is what I was most worried about. Generally speaking, I like fattie necks. 50's LP necks, big honkin Tele necks... that kind of thing. This is definitely not that... but dammit it felt great. No cramping during practice at all, and the lead stuff just flys off the guitar like butter. HUGE frets which I love. Ugh, the thing just feels Great.

After practice I decided to put some 10s on it. It took a good hour and 20, but I got that shit set up perfectly. It wasn't hard, just lots of minute adjustments and tuning. Now it's even dreamier.

I really missed playing a Strat.

Now for more pics: (I apologize as I took these last night right before I went to bed having just finished setting it up for 10's)

DSCN1127.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1126.jpg

DSCN1124.jpg

• Members

I think my next guitar is gonna be the candy blue version of that. The white one looks awesome too! Congrats!

Yeah, I debated long and hard over the color. I like the blue, red, green, even the gold... but then white is just to classic. It goes with everything!

• Members

Indeed it is, and thanks.
:wave:
Is there some other way I could upload and show ye? Do a thread attachment perhaps?

Photobucket is about the only host I can't see here. A thread attachment will work too, if you can actually attach one here. I haven't tried it lately, but I think at one point, it was disabled.

• Members

Photobucket is about the only host I can't see here. A thread attachment will work too, if you can actually attach one here. I haven't tried it lately, but I think at one point, it was disabled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336225[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]336226[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]336227[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]336228[/ATTACH]

Hopefully that did it.

• Members

Sweet lookin' guitar! Happy NGD! I like the look of the matte black PG against the white body and the maple FB. And the Floyd's a kicker! Got one on my Warlock NJ Deluxe and it's fun on a bun!

Steve

Thanks man! Yeah I like crazy finishes and bright colors, but there's just something so alluring about the white/black thing. Love it!

• Members

Sweet! Congrats! I love DiMarzios generally, what kind are those?

Heh, I'm used to Duncans, but these ROCK. Tone Zone in the bridge and Evolution in the neck. Perfect.

That's one of the reasons I had to get it, seems like the dark bridge humbucker/bright neck humbucker combo is hard to come by in a stock guitar.

• Members

The pics worked, and it looks awesome. Glad you finally scratched that itch. I didn't realize those had a Tone Zone in the bridge. My 375 got a Tone Zone in about 1993 and when I bought it back in 2005, got another one because the other owner(s) had replaced it with Jackson's version of the X2N. Most awesome pup I've ever had in a Charvel.

• Members

The pics worked, and it looks awesome. Glad you finally scratched that itch. I didn't realize those had a Tone Zone in the bridge. My 375 got a Tone Zone in about 1993 and when I bought it back in 2005, got another one because the other owner(s) had replaced it with Jackson's version of the X2N. Most awesome pup I've ever had in a Charvel.

Yeah, I am REALLY digging the thing. I have tried a lot of pickups in Strats to try and beef them up, but they usually fall a bit short. I didn't know much about DiMarzio until I started checking out the different things on this guitar. I saw "Tone Zone" and thought "Bright, PAF-y" because that's just what that sounds like to me. Figured it would be a no go. Then I checked out the EQ and output on the DiMarzio site. :love: Perfect.

• Members

The Tone Zone has a very pick attack-heavy sound, which is great for intricate lead stuff. But, it's also great for heavy chugga-chug stuff too. Mine has played many a million Metallica riffs, and I've loved every second of it. I also like the Evolution. I played a white JEM once and that pickup really stood out. It's thick and meaty, but still bright and clear. Getting a pickup to retain definition at that level of gain is tough.

• Members

The Tone Zone has a very pick attack-heavy sound, which is great for intricate lead stuff. But, it's also great for heavy chugga-chug stuff too. Mine has played many a million Metallica riffs, and I've loved every second of it. I also like the Evolution. I played a white JEM once and that pickup really stood out. It's thick and meaty, but still bright and clear. Getting a pickup to retain definition at that level of gain is tough.

Yeah, IMO, both of those pickups knocked it out of the park.

I really wanna get a Tone Zone for my other strat. :D

• Members

Well done! The white socal's are pretty awesome looking. best bang for the buck guitar out there IMO. great guitars. HNGD

+1

I haven't priced one for myself yet, but I'm guessing the new Japanese So-Cals can pretty easily be had for around $700 or less new based on how the US versions were priced/sold.

• Members

Beautiful! HNGD!..welcome to the Charvel Pro-Mod Club :)..the white one was actually my first choice, but was damaged by the store..so I got a red one instead. As you're finding out, they are GREAT guitars. Awesome bang for the buck too. I really like the Tone Zone/Evolution combo compared to the JB/59 combo in the San Dimas

• Members

Beautiful! HNGD!..welcome to the Charvel Pro-Mod Club
:)
..the white one was actually my first choice, but was damaged by the store..so I got a red one instead. As you're finding out, they are GREAT guitars. Awesome bang for the buck too. I really like the Tone Zone/Evolution combo compared to the JB/59 combo in the San Dimas

Yeah, I definitely prefer the Dimarzios to the JB. Infinitely better, IMO.

Archived