NGD: Bargain Schecter Corsair

Flatspotter

• Members

I found out about the Schecter Corsair from animalwithin's contribution to the "If you want (expensive), you might like (cheap)" thread. He suggested it as an alternative to a 335.

At $750 for the non-Bigsby, I don't know if that qualifies as cheap, but it certainly is compared to a 335. I got mine brand new, A-stock for $140. That, my friends, is cheap.

How the hell did Flatspotter pull off this amazing feat of frugality, you ask? Did he take unfair advantage of some poor soul? Nope. Is he the world's best negotiator? No again. Did he use $260 in Amazon credit card points and cash in $350 worth of pocket change for an Amazon gift certificate? We have a winner!

OK, so technically, cashing in change isn't free money, but my bank account didn't go down by that amount, so I'm declaring it free.

Anyway, this is a Korean-made 335-style semi-hollow. It's well made, the frets are nicely finished, and the neck feels almost identical to my '06 LP Standard (60s neck) but a little narrower than the LP. It sounds very much like my LP too, except a smidge less bright. I don't know if this is due to the pickups, or the fact that it's a semi.

The color is walnut, and appears a bit more red in the photos than in person. This guitar plays and sounds great! Tip of the hat to animalwithin for pointing me to this axe. :thu:

Schectercouch.jpg

Schecter2.jpg

Schecter1.jpg

Schecter3.jpg

The fretboard has some nice grain patterns. I think I need to clean and oil it!

Schecter4.jpg

• Members

Congrats! Can you do me a favor? Can you measure the distance from the edge of the low e saddle to the center of the closest low e polepiece on the bridge humbucker? It looks like the pickup is fairly close to the bridge, and I've placed mine like that on a Warmoth I'm working on and one that I already have. I'm always interested when I see other guitars that are like that. If you don't mind... thanks!

• Members

Congrats! Can you do me a favor? Can you measure the distance from the edge of the low e saddle to the center of the closest low e polepiece on the bridge humbucker? It looks like the pickup is fairly close to the bridge, and I've placed mine like that on a Warmoth I'm working on and one that I already have. I'm always interested when I see other guitars that are like that. If you don't mind... thanks!

No problem! I got 1.19" or 30.1mm if you're a metric fan.

Archived