Any headphones really stand out from others?

veracohr

• Members

I need a new pair of headphones. I've been using the same pair for 15 years now, and the right side just went. I could probably fix them if I wanted, but at this point it's probably time to get a new pair.

I'd like some suggestions.

The pair I've been using are Sony MDR-7506. I know a lot of people have a bad opinion of them, but I've gotten used to them. I could of course just get a new pair of the same model, but I'm wondering if there's something that would serve me better.

I've re-read this thread: I'm Getting More and More Convinced about Mixing with Headphones, but there's a lot of different models mentioned there.

So here's some info on what I want and how I use my headphones:

- I'm looking around $100. More than one person in that thread had good things to say about the Audio-Technical ATH-M50, and at $160 they're a bit higher than ideal but I could probably swing it.

- One of the most important things I've used my 7506's for is checking low end in my mixes and masters. I have 7" nearfield monitors (ADAM A7) and do my mixing in my apartment, so I rely on the headphones to give me an alternate reference with better low end, even if it's hyped. I make electronic music, so low end is important.

- I don't have particular need of isolation in terms of studio work, like keeping out the sound of a drummer a few feet away, but still isolation is good. I like the closed-ear style of the 7506.

- I also use my headphones for casual listening.

- They need to be relatively comfortable for at least a few hours at a time.

So those Audio-Technica seem to be well-liked. I also remember hearing more than once in the past about Grado headphones. I checked out their website, and honestly a lot of their marketing text sounds like audiophile snake oil:

...ultra-high purity, long crystal (UHPLC) oxygen free copper. The copper is slowly drawn through the die in extremely small increments and is annealed following each drawing operation. Ultra-high conductivity copper yields the clearest transmission and lowest coloration possible. The sound of UHPLC copper is smoother, cleaner and more dynamic...

So does anyone have any suggestions? I'll go see what my local music store has this weekend.

• Members

AKG model K 142 HD, an older model and at the moment only $72.00, at amazon, is made for recording engineers. The the K 142 HD also uses the same technology as the old AKG K 141 DF, the quasi standard for engineers and editor

also the AKG K 141 MK II ($189.00) uses the same technology and is the most used headphone in US studios and studios worldwide

then there is the AKG Q701 Quincy Jones Reference-Class Headphones, usually about $500.00, now down to $250.00

all this headphones fullfil the Audio Engineering Society (AES) standard, and are of course also excellent to listen to music in your leisure time in the sonic quality engineer hear music, all easy to work with for hours if necessary.

• Members

The pair I've been using are Sony MDR-7506.

I've been making my living with those for a million years and can't see changing. I hardly even ever power up my jbl6328s for using the headphones so much.

Every time I need a replacement, I consider checking out other brands, but since the Sony's are like an extension of my ears and expectations now... why bother.

• Members

These budget Samson SR850, about $50 US, I have been using constantly for the last 5 months seem to be pretty good, have good frequency response and have plenty of padding.

Thanks for that link, I use headphones most of the time, one day I will get a decent monitor system.

• Members

I bought the Denon AH-D2000 based on Dave Rat's testing and recommendation (google that). Those are the best headphones I have found in the past 25 years. Even though they are sealed back, I prefer their sound to my open back Sennheiser HD600s, a well respected >$300 open back headphone which I have loved for 10 years. No contest with my Sennheiser HD280, Sony 7506, Sennheiser HD25-1, and other lower priced tracking headphones I have used. In particular, of all those, they are the most natural (flat frequency response) sounding to me, the bass is cleaner, more musical and more natural sounding than others I have used, the mids are the clearest, and the highs are the most realistic sounding and least sibilant. The bass is the most accurate, flattest and least distorted of any headphones I have used, so I concur with Dave Rat's oscilloscope. One caveat, they really did need about 100 hours of use before they sounded their best. I left them on 24x7 for a week at moderate volume, checking them about once every couple of days. An initial harshness in the highs completely disappeared by the end of that break-in. The price is 2-3 times your budget, but build quality is excellent and if you are mixing on phones, I would make them a higher priority than your $100 budget. Save up for a few months and shop around. If you use them for 10 years, you will be paying about $2 a month rather than the $0.50 a month you paid for the 7506s, about the cost of a cup of coffee per month. They will probably outlast the 7506s, so that is a conservative comparison. I now choose the Denons over the Sennheiser HD600s every time for mixing, careful listening, and pleasure. The Denons are also much easier to drive than the HD600s. They are very comfortable for me, but a little large to carry around for casual iPod listening. Unlike Dave Rat, I don't take them out of the house to use for live sound because of the potential for theft, but I wish I could. His second choice, the Ultraphone HFI680, while also well built, don't even come close to the Denons in sound quality to my ears, even after a long break-in. Full disclosure, I don't have any business or financial relationship with Denon, Dave Rat, or actually any sound equipment company, other than as an end user.

• Members

listen to high class music which has a lot of processing in it via AKG studio phones, can be a revealing experience, especially with music which has a lot of on lodspeaker barely hearable processing in it,

i often adjust finer subtle psychoacoustic stuff with headphones on, also because working on nominal SPLs via monitors is very tyring, and via headphones i hear the depht of the field more closely at lower level

• Members

You might consider the lower priced ATH-M40's from Audio Technica. A new pair would probably run about 70 bucks. I use them for tracking, and while I wouldn't consider them high-end, they are reasonably comfortable and well balanced. But expect to replace the ear pads after about 5 years, and expect some black flakes on your face and head. The pads are notorious for drying up and flaking over time, but they do sell cheap replacement pads.

I'm not a big fan of AKG's, but YMMV. They color the bass in my experience. Grado's are great, but boy they're expensive.

Todd

• Members

Does that mean the higher the ohms the better the quality the phones will be.

yes, you could say so, with those ohms the headphone matches better with the output of whatever your headphone is plugged in to, respectively you need less amplification at the device your headphone is plugged in to, for example the output of an audio interface, or keyboard, as well some other advantages, wider frequenbcy range, better low end, more accuracy by driving larger diaphragm, more SPL...

• Members

Does that mean the higher the ohms the better the quality the phones will be.

No

too many other variables, not the least of which is the under-rated "comfort" factor. What is "better" - an higher ohm set of cans that hurt your head after 20 minutes or a lower ohm set that you can wear for hours before noticing that you even have them on ?

I think comfort (for your head) matters the most once inside the standard for reference 'phones - over $100 set of Senns, ATs, AKG, Grado, Shure or what-have-you brand

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I know I'm late to the thread, but as I mentioned in the other thread these days my percentage of time mixing on headphones vs. speakers has reversed - I mix or master mostly on headphones, then switch to the speakers for reality checks.

I've come to the conclusion for my own situation that I need to switch among multiple headphones just as I used to switch among different speakers, as they all have different strengths and weaknesses.

I think AKG has the recipe down for transparent, accurate highs. If I want to know what's going on with the highs, there's nothing better although sometimes I'll put on some Ultrasone's to see what the highs will sound like if they're hyped somewhat.

I still think the ATH headphones are the best bang for the buck, and surprisingly realistic for giving an overall sense of the mix. It's like a .jpg of the Grand Canyon - the resolution might not be as good, but you can see the whole thing.

And now, although I'm fully aware a lot of people will say "you're crazy!!," the Dr. Dre Beats phones have become part of my repertoire for the low end reality check. Here's the deal. A lot of people say the low end is hyped, but I think the low end is accurate - it's the highs that are lower than they should be. Listening to the Beats is the closest I've come to experiencing the same kind of visceral bass feel I normally get from speakers. No other headphone I have can do that.

If I could have the Beats bass, the AKG highs, and the ATH comfort (I can wear them for hours), I'd have the perfect headphones :)

Archived