Any headphones really stand out from others?

veracohr

• Members
I know I'm late to the thread, but as I mentioned in the other thread these days my percentage of time mixing on headphones vs. speakers has reversed - I mix or master mostly on headphones, then switch to the speakers for reality checks.

I've come to the conclusion for my own situation that I need to switch among multiple headphones just as I used to switch among different speakers, as they all have different strengths and weaknesses.

I think AKG has the recipe down for transparent, accurate highs. If I want to know what's going on with the highs, there's nothing better although sometimes I'll put on some Ultrasone's to see what the highs will sound like if they're hyped somewhat.

I still think the ATH headphones are the best bang for the buck, and surprisingly realistic for giving an overall sense of the mix. It's like a .jpg of the Grand Canyon - the resolution might not be as good, but you can see the whole thing.

And now, although I'm fully aware a lot of people will say "you're crazy!!," the Dr. Dre Beats phones have become part of my repertoire for the low end reality check. Here's the deal. A lot of people say the low end is hyped, but I think the low end is accurate - it's the highs that are
lower
than they should be. Listening to the Beats is the closest I've come to experiencing the same kind of visceral bass feel I normally get from speakers. No other headphone I have can do that.

If I could have the Beats bass, the AKG highs, and the ATH comfort (I can wear them for hours), I'd have the perfect headphones
:)

I bet you could design these phrankenphones..:thu:

• Members
I know I'm late to the thread, but as I mentioned in the other thread these days my percentage of time mixing on headphones vs. speakers has reversed - I mix or master mostly on headphones, then switch to the speakers for reality checks.

I've come to the conclusion for my own situation that I need to switch among multiple headphones just as I used to switch among different speakers, as they all have different strengths and weaknesses.

I think AKG has the recipe down for transparent, accurate highs. If I want to know what's going on with the highs, there's nothing better although sometimes I'll put on some Ultrasone's to see what the highs will sound like if they're hyped somewhat.

I still think the ATH headphones are the best bang for the buck, and surprisingly realistic for giving an overall sense of the mix. It's like a .jpg of the Grand Canyon - the resolution might not be as good, but you can see the whole thing.

And now, although I'm fully aware a lot of people will say "you're crazy!!," the Dr. Dre Beats phones have become part of my repertoire for the low end reality check. Here's the deal. A lot of people say the low end is hyped, but I think the low end is accurate - it's the highs that are
lower
than they should be. Listening to the Beats is the closest I've come to experiencing the same kind of visceral bass feel I normally get from speakers. No other headphone I have can do that.

If I could have the Beats bass, the AKG highs, and the ATH comfort (I can wear them for hours), I'd have the perfect headphones

I`m a big fan of the AKG 270s, been using them for 20 years and of course the ATH-M50s which I think are incredible for the price. Like you Craig, I switch my headphones during a mix. The M50s provide the best mixes though. I also purchased Equator D5s in December ($299) which I was stunned to hear. The mixes I`m getting these days with the D5s and M50s are translating really well. The bottom end is fuller and I`m not rubbing my head wondering...

• Members

I would inform myself what binaural hearing is. Binaural hearing is not possible with headphones. There is this loudspeaker headset, if you want to mix with very close nearfield. Note the word "field", in headphones there is no "field".

AKG_K10002.jpg

• Members

lower

Thanks for the info its great. And I don't think you're crazy, I know you are.

But I'm one that digs that low end from those Beats, I've considered getting just because that low end knocks me out. But its hard for me to justify buying a $300 set of cans with questionable balance.

Archived