Old time strings vs what we have today?

Sailorofdarknes

• Members

Back when I first started playing, you bought strings in a music store and many of those were mom and pop stores.

You were luckey if they had more than one brand and more than heacey medium and light strings.

You had better selections if you went to a major city to buy. Labella were popular. they are still and excelent string.

Black Dimonds were the big acoustic strings. I dont even think they made electrics then. Fender strings were the big seller

because they came in the lightest gauges. Then GHS started making thin strings in the 70's. You could buy 7's which were

popular for awhile. Most rock guitarists were using 8's though. They just got the sound that was popular then. Anything heavier

sounding like your granpas jazz guitar. 9's and 10's just were perfected gauges yet.

• Members

Back in the 70's we'd break a string, go down the the music store and buy a single string to replace it. Can you even do that now?

Yes. I've broken a bunch of E strings. The local music shop sells D'addario singles. $1 each, so it's a bit of a rip, but I can't be bothered to hit up Amazon for a 10 pack.

• Members

I have been using D'Addarios since 97 but lately I am thinking of trying something new. I worked at a mom and pop music store for gear in my early 20's and one day to get paid they gave me a big ass box of single strings. I counted close to 600 various strings in there. I really can't remember what happened to that box? I may still have it back home:idk: I am glad though strings are so cheap and easy these days! But if you gotta drive to get them I guess they aren't that cheap these days after all!

• Members

Back in the late '70s, my band was 'auditioned' for a Rotosound endorsement. This meant that they gave us a bunch of strings to use on a tour just in case we ever got successful eough to make it worth their while to use us in ads. As it happened, we didn't ... but the strings barely lasted two gigs* per set. I then switched to Ernie's, which I've been (happily) using ever since. I've occasionally tried Rotos since ... and they still die and/or break unacceptably quickly.

In fairness to Rotosound, their bass strings are a great deal better ... my bass-playing ex-wife used them for almost fifteen years -- before switching to Maxima Golds, which cost more but retained tonal life a LOT longer.

*As an opening act, we were doing 40-minute sets ... which meant that a new pack of Rotos were good for less than an hour and a half of playing.

Tried Rotos also, went dull fast but I didn't break any. A bunch of strings sounds great until you whip through them cause they don't last! And then there was the misguided time I tried the colored strings, what a waste of money.

• Members

I used to buy these at a record store and put them on my Teisco Del Ray hollowbody that I had at the time-my fingers used to literally bleed using those strings.

Lots of options these days.

Black Diamond strings were about the only ones available in the town where I lived. They were bad!

Black_Diamond_Strings.jpg

• Members

Lots of options these days.

Black Diamond strings were about the only ones available in the town where I lived. They were bad!

Black_Diamond_Strings.jpg

Got a set of those on my mojo shelf next to my crystal knockoff of a Shure 55, container of civil defense water (for a scotch and water when the big one comes) and a bottle of Duff beer. They were the a step above barbed wir for sure.

Archived