'63 les paul???

meandi

• Members

my buddy Mike bought this guitar used in the '70s, for like $300, & has never established what year it was built.

So, I ran the numbers for him & according to several online sites, it's a '63, built in the kalamazoo plant.

He said that he didn't think gibson built the custom model in '63.

What say you, les paul experts?

He's got a couple of ric 600 series...one 12 string & a 6 string that he plays occasionally, but other than that this is still his main ax.

mblp1.jpg

mblp2.jpg

mblp3.jpg

mblp4.jpg

mblp5.jpg

• Members

It looks like a 70s one to me. I heard that in the 70s a BUNCH of serials were messed up on guitars since they were changing then. So it may just be a messed up serial that leads you to that year. I don't know if Gibson made customs in the 60s. Also check the side of the body. Do you see any cracks around the middle of it? They used pancaked bodies in the 70s and overtime they separate a bit.

• Members

I'm aware of the messed up status of some of their serial numbers, so what I'm hearing on this doesn't really surprise me.

I was trying to establish the age of my J-50 when I bought it, & there were so many different on line answers to my sn querie for it, I actually ended up calling gibson cust svc to get the most reliable answer.

• Members

:lol:
I just talked to gibson corporate & was told by a cs rep, that he could only verify that it was built between '70 & '75.

That there's some tight records keeping for you.

meandi, I got the same speil from Gibson regarding my ES-345. The s/n indicated an early '60s date of mfg, but it was obviously not from that era (volute, etc). They just bunged up the serialization process in the early '70s and re-used some '60s-style numbering.

• Members

As noted, Gibson reused serial numbers again and again for decades until they finally tied them to the date stamped in the mid' '70's (and then again in the late '70's).

Your friend didn't research the serial good enough. The aforememtioned volute on the back of the headstock started in 1969 and ran through the '70's.

Take the serial number and research it more. If it's early '70's you may not be able to narrow it to an exact year, but the pot date codes should help.

• Members

I just talked to gibson corporate & was told by a cs rep, that he could only verify that it was built between '70 & '75.

That there's some tight records keeping for you.

At the time serial numbers were for inventory and shipping purposes. What shipped 10 years before didn't matter; this was long before computer inventory, paperwork was routinely destroyed to make room for future business. EIA codes (date codes) on electrical parts (for guitars, for amps, for everything) were repeated every 10 years because the code only featured the last year of the date until late '60's or early '70's.

• Members

I saw a guy on that TV show Pawnstars bring in an LP Custom claiming it was from the mid 1950's and he wanted $30,000 for it. The owner Rick brought in his buddy the "expert" who dated it to the mid 1970's. Hell I am no expert and I could tell. Anyway...the Pawnstars guys offered him $1400 for it...he walked out with guitar in hand not selling it. :lol:

• Members

I saw a guy on that TV show Pawnstars bring in an LP Custom claiming it was from the mid 1950's and he wanted $30,000 for it. The owner Rick brought in his buddy the "expert" who dated it to the mid 1970's. Hell I am no expert and I could tell. Anyway...the Pawnstars guys offered him $1400 for it...he walked out with guitar in hand not selling it.

I saw that one too... Always makes me laugh when someone thinks they got something worth a lot more then it actually is.. I think the guy paid more for it from the way he acted... But what a pinhead, "I bought this and the guy told me it was from 50s." Yeah and you believed him... hahaha

• Members

I saw a guy on that TV show Pawnstars bring in an LP Custom claiming it was from the mid 1950's and he wanted $30,000 for it. The owner Rick brought in his buddy the "expert" who dated it to the mid 1970's. Hell I am no expert and I could tell. Anyway...the Pawnstars guys offered him $1400 for it...he walked out with guitar in hand not selling it.

That guy was the guitar player for Toto.

• Members

There are a couple websites that live to de-bunk that show and have found some evidence that the whole "sale" of the guitar was less than honest.

• Members

There are a couple websites that live to de-bunk that show and have found some evidence that the whole "sale" of the guitar was less than honest.

The guy from Toto (Steve Lukather?)... sounds like a theatrically scripted "sale" to entertain the ignorant masses -- except for y'allz. :lol:

• Members

The guy from Toto (Steve Lukather?)... sounds like a theatrically scripted "sale" to entertain the ignorant masses -- except for y'allz.

Wasn't Luke. Maybe the band was Asia? I can't remember; I just know it was one of those really cheesey early '80s rock bands that all sounded the same.

Archived