It's amazing how setting up a guitar can change your feelings about it

EricJohn

• Members

I've been lukewarm on the Tele that I've been playing for the last year and 8 months. Felt like it was fighting me when I tried to play it. Adjusted the truss rod last night and lowered the action and I'll be damned if I can't put it down right now!!! :cool:

Anybody else ever have that experience?

• Members

I had one guitar that I really liked. On a lark I had it "professionally" set up a few years back. I hated it. Took me the better part of 6 months fussing with it to get it back the way I liked it. Nobody touches my stuff any more.

Don't get me wrong....it was probably better in some respects. Some of the lower string fret buzz was gone. But I never even noticed it before they messed with it.

• Members

I have a couple guitars like that. I have this junky squier mongrel that I have been messing with and it was OK. It had a couple low frets and I finally bit the bullet and paid to have it leveled. that is a really good guitar now.

I have another guitar that I paid to get set up and the action was way too low. I let it sit in protest for a couple months before I took it out and slapped a set of 11s on it. Now the thing has some macho action and sounds great.

• Members

Anybody else ever have that experience?

Yes. I had a bunch of wood blocks propped inside the trem cavity of my RG with some crappy old strings and dull frets.

Ripped it apart, polished the frets, cleaned the dust off of every little part, then took the time to adjust the neck relief AND intonation, then let the trem float instead of blocking it off. Loved the new feel and resonance it had.

• Members

If you really want to transform your guitars, learn how to do your own fret leveling and crowning. It's actually pretty simple and can make a world of difference in the playability of your guitars.

Out of curiosity, how does one level a neck with a compound radius? I understand they make radius blocks that you can use for straight radius necks, but compound I don't know.

• Members

If you really want to transform your guitars, learn how to do your own fret leveling and crowning. It's actually pretty simple and can make a world of difference in the playability of your guitars.

could you post some resources on that? Would greatly appreciate it

• Members

Its even more amazing to me when guitar or bass players dont do setups on their instruments when they get them and 1-2 times a yr for weather changes ref truss rod tweaks. Setting up ones instrument is basic part of maintanance from day one imo.

• Members

Yep. I started on some real cheap ass guitars and they didn't sound great, but they played fantastic. I'm still kind of apprehensive about going that route on my more expensive guitars and to be hones they usually don't need it, but if you've got something that you like the way it sounds but are struggling with to play a good level and crown and proper setup is like industrial strength turd polish. :lol:

• Members

This times a bazillion. But I went ballistic after I learned. I finally learned not to level every stankin' fret if it has just a couple high ones. I just hit 'em with a crowning tool so they match their brethren. Just polishing the frets and cleaning up the ends can make a guitar feel like a new instrument.

• Members

When a guitar is out of adjustment, it can feel and sound bad. So, yes, sometimes a setup makes a huge difference in the feel and sound.

I think every guitar player should learn about setting up a guitar...including how to make truss rod adjustments, action adjustments and adjustments of the saddles to achieve the best compromise in intonation, playability and sound. I've gotten better each time I've done a guitar setup.

• Members
My definition of a good guitar is one that can be set up well.

Any guitar can be set up well if the neck is straight. But usually the more expensive guitars are easier to set up. A properly cut nut makes a world of difference as well. 90% of the guitars at your average GC have nut slots that are too shallow.
So every guy needs to know how to do his own nuts.:eek::lol:

• Members

I'd like to have a fret job done on my Yamaha SBG2000 neckthru.....but I'm afraid to let anyone touch it.

Yeah I have an 86 MIJ Blue Floral Fender Telecaster I would like to get a fret job on but I am worried about letting anyone touch it. It still has some life in it, but it is going to need one. Was my main guitar for like 10 years so it got a lot of use...

Archived