Les Pauls - does it really need to be a gibson?

samzadgan

• Members

You Know,

It's About How Much Bank You Have

Get One That You Can Afford,

Then Later, You Can Add Some Cash

and Trade Up.

The Studio's are Cool

The Tribute's are Cool

Some Of The Copys are Good Too!

Thanks

Steve

I thought those were lyrics to some song about Gibsons.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I played an Edwards LP in my previous band. The other guitarist played an LP Custom and is very picky about tone. He said the Edwards just just as good sounding as any Gibson, cosmetically, playalbly and tonally.

I guess the allure of owning a Gibson is the sentimentality that's associated with it.

• Members

Absolutely not. Of course, many LP copies etc are not going to be anywhere near the same thing, but then again these days neither is the "real thing". The chambered Gibsons sold today are quite a different beast to the originals. Out of Epiphone's range the only ones I'd consider are the Czech made ones (no longer made, can't remember the model) and the Japanese Elitist series (also discontinued I think).

What bugs me about Gibsons is that the quality of many examples just isn't there. Whether it's too much neck angle, bad finishing, poor fretwork..not something I want to see on a 2000

• Members

I guess the allure of owning a Gibson is the sentimentality that's associated with it.

There is some of that, for many they just aren't satisfied without the Gibson name on the headstock. Gibson has massive brand equity, and that influences people (and it also makes it much easier to resell a Gibson for a good price). It's been said here before, if someone is dying for Gibson, they should probbaly wait and buy a Gibson, because they won't be satisfied with anything else.

But there are great options out there...not just in the budget arena, but a Tokai LS180 can be had used for $1500 or less and it's made to the same exacting standards the Gibson Historic R9's are. And Bauhaus offers some damn nice "boutique" variations on the LP theme that aren't available from Gibson. But ultimately, there is no pixie dust at the Gibson factory and new secret to building a great LP. It just takes a companies resolve to do it...use the right woods and the right dimensions and companies put out incredible LP's for $400 or so. BUT, IFAIK, Gibson is the only one offering their chambered body, which many people love for its lighter weight.

• Members

I lurves me my Vintage Lemon Drop because ...

*The neck is FAKKIN LAVLY

*It gives me that tangy Green-O-Tone in the middle position, and sweet PAF-y tones at the front and back

*It's WAY lighter than the real thing, which counts when you're an old bloke with a bad back

*Even without endorsee discount, it's still eminently affordable

*It looks WELL funky

• Members

I've never been blown away by a gibson as much as by a Guild Bluesbird I picked up (and regrettably did not have the cash to take home with me) at Good 'n Loud Music in Madison, WI about six years ago. A couple of months back, I picked up a DeArmond M-75 rather cheaply hoping to recapture that magic. It's nice to play and sounds good, but it's not magic...

• Members

As others have said, Gibson makes some fine guitars, but there is nothing magical about them. A part of owning a Gibson is identity and emotional attachment to the brand itself and what the guitar that bears the name Gibson "is". Especially when it comes to "quality" of materials or workmanship, there are plenty of other options out there that are in all ways "just as good" although some may be "just as good, but different. If you LOVE Gibsons and have your heart set on owning one, then I suggest as others have, that you just get one, you will be happier in the long run.

• Members

"Les Paul" as in dual humbucker, chunky body made of mahagony with or without maple cap, stop tail, etc?

It doesn't even have to be the single cutaway, recognizable shape we know s LP's. Yamaha SG2000 is an example, Ibanez artist, Hamer, etc. It's really about what attributes we associate with a Les Paul.

• Members

The 08 Stds are the best iteration of the LP for a long long time

I agree with this. I bought my 08 Std last year and it is a really great guitar. I wasn't particularly looking for a LP..I just tried loads of guitars with (luckily) quite a high budget in mind. I tried everything from Epiphone and ESP LTD's through to Suhr, PRS, Tom Anderson and Nik Huber models. The Gibson LP was just the best guitar of the lot for me.

• Members

I own 2 Les Pauls, a 58 TV Special, and a Standard Heritage 1980. A good pal has a Vintage lemon drop, and it's a great value, nails the vibe of an old Les Paul somewhat. That being said the differences became obvious once played loud.

• Members

You Know,

It's About How Much Bank You Have

Get One That You Can Afford,

Then Later, You Can Add Some Cash

and Trade Up.

The Studio's are Cool

The Tribute's are Cool

Some Of The Copys are Good Too!

Thanks

Steve

Awesome! I just picked up a '74 Univox LP copy, because that's what I could afford right now. Always wanted a LP, will still get on, but just not right now.

• Members

Plenty of very good copies out there to choose from. Also, lots of great non-copy twin humbucker set-necks from PRS to Hamer to the boutique stuff. I think you generally get what you pay for with the copy stuff, which is not at all bad - my experience is mostly great playability and diminished tonal attributes. (You obviously can't call a Heritage a copy because of their lineage and I assume they're fabulous guitars.) Haven't played a Vintage or even a Tokai for that matter but I wouldn't put my old lawsuit Ibanez Les Paul copy in the same class as a Gibson.

I took a really long time before I got a Gibson, mainly because I was completely satsified in every way with the performance of my US made Hamers (Special and Mirage II), but also because I had specific criteria to meet - relatively light weight, good tuning stability, great tone. I finally found the guitar I was looking for in a 2000 Gibson Studio Lite and couldn't be happier with it. I don't regard it as being in any way superior to my Hamers but it certainly is different. I feel like Gibsons (the good ones) have a characteristic sparkle and kinda hollow sounding bass tone which I personally haven't found replicated in other brands. Probably has something to do with the nitro finish. I do notice that my Gibson is the only electric guitar I've ever owned or played that can pick up static (in the output) just from running my left hand up the back of the neck.

• Members

There is nothing special, high-tech, or proprietary (other than the headstock and logo!) that precludes any other manufacturer from making a comparable guitar. That said, depending on price, some are built to an inferior spec, and some brands are much nicer (and often more expensive as well).

Heritage guitars will definitely be the closest to an actual Gibson from a look and feel perspective...nitro finish, correct woods, shape is not exact (from what I understand) but very close, obviously there is the history there...

Other companies may take more of their own spin on the single cutaway design. For instance, the ESP eclipse is along the same lines but I don't think anyone who is looking for a vintage type LP is going to take an ESP instead. Going for a different market.

There's a certain feel/look to the nitro finishes that the cheaper imports won't have. You did mention Vintage brand, I know some people on here like them and I always sound like I'm raining on their parade, but I played their top strat model and it was a very poor quality and disappointing guitar...maybe a lemon, but certain raised a caution flag to me as far as the stuff they're putting out.

• Members

Best Les Paul I have ever played is a NAVIGATOR however it is more expensive than most Gibsons are. I am firmly in the NO camp -- there are several very good LP type guitars are not tagged "Gibson".

Yeah there's always a catch to these type threads.

• Members

I own an Edwards Jimmy Page LP and a Gibson 1981 Standard Lp and I let a buddy of mine chose which one he wanted to use for a gig and after playing both, he played the Edwards for the show, which I like better too. That being said there are some things I like more about the Gibby but the edwards is the one I grab most often.

Archived