Has anybody ever bought a used guitar case that DOESN'T smell weird?

bluesnapper

• Members

:confused:

Just picked up a Hiscox STD EG case (the Les Paul model) - brilliant case - I've had one for my acoustic for years now and it's still going strong.

But it smells really, well, odd... not unpleasant, just odd.

I've seen lots of posts about smelly guitars/cases on the forum. How does it happen? I've smoked, drunk, cooked, eaten, gigged, sweated etc all over all of my guitars and they're absolutely fine.

How do you make something stink like that? :confused: There must be a trick to it.

On the plus side, case is solid, key included, lining in good nick - and while it's designed for an LP I can squeeze my SG and Strat in there too so it's a good all-rounder.

edit: Ok, I've had the case for less than four hours and I've lost the key already. Thankfully it was unlocked at the time! Such is the way of things....

• Members

I never have figured out the smelly case thing. I bought a new Musicians friend blonde case that smelled so bad the guitar picked up the smell. It was a strong chemical smell somewhere between plastic and gasoline.

I also bought a used Parker Fly Classic that was in the original case and it smelled like someone poured some sort of very sweet coffee in it. Could not get rid of that smell either.

I give up....case smell is something you just buy with the case.

• Members

Worst case scenario I ever experienced was picking up a used short-scale Fender poly case (probably came with an early 80s Bullet) for cheap about 10 years ago. Got it home and realized that a dog or cat had pissed in it long ago. No big, deal, I figured I'd pull the styrofoam out, glue some new fabric to it, and it'd be as good as new. What I do remember was prying the styrofoam out from one side, and the piece popped out. Jumped out. Dried dog piss powder flew up in a cloud. UGH.

• Members

I haven't ever bought a used empty case. But the original case for my '72 LP quite obviously had a cat pee in it at least once...it even froze the little prep's foootprints in time. I have an Ameritage case for the guitar, but hold onto the original. Not many rectangular LP-fitted cases came out of Gibson (with royal purple felt to set off the gold top).

• Members

The case that came with my Gretsch smells like toffee.

Have you tried putting an air freshener in your case? I don't know if that would work.

Air freshener that just puts off a masking scent won't do it. Put some Odor Eaters or other activated charcoal in there for a while with it closed up. May have to do it a couple of times.

Spraying a little Febreze on the lining after you've done the activated charcoal but before you put the guitar in couldn't hurt either since what's causing the unpleasant smell is probably the glue, and that smell is trapped in the foam and plastic.

I started putting activated charcoal in the fridge when there is stinky food in there, and it works much better than baking soda at eliminating the odors.

• Members

The best smelling case I've ever owned is the one for my Charvel. I bought it new in like 1993 and it smelled like candy. I sold it in 1995ish. Bought it back in 2005 and it STILL smelled like candy. Still smells like it to this day. I love that case. Everytime I smell it, it reminds me of my early days playing guitar. Can't put a price on that :thu:

• Members

It's the adhesives used. Traditional cases used to use the cheapest hide glue available, which can stink something fierce. Sometimes they try to mask the smell with mint oil or other fragrance, which is probably where the candy smells come from. Now they probably use a cheaper/easier to work with adhesive with it's own stink.

Archived