Best Current Signature Epiphone LP

samzadgan

• Members

So Epiphone has a number of new Signature models, and some are spec'd pretty well...almost comparable to so Gibson LP's.

But what are your thoughts and which ones shine in the range?

Personally, i think the Zakk Wylde Bullseye and the Joe Bonamassa are the standouts...but keen to see other's opinions.

sammy

• Members

Isn't the Joe Bonamassa not sold out everywhere? I really wanted to try one because I love fat necks and it had a nice pick up combo and they were Gibson USA.

I have the Slash Goldtop Epi with the USA Duncans. Great guitar but I did work on it: Set Up, New Nut, New pickup Switch. But I got it cheap enough to justify these added costs.

• Members

Why on earth spend a grand on an asian epiphone?

Well my 2 reasons are; the gibson versions are triple the price, and secondly, other les paul type guitars on the market dont have the specs to match these, especially on the PUP side of things.

Obviously this is only my opinion...and im no expert on Les Pauls

• Members

Well my 2 reasons are; the gibson versions are triple the price, and secondly, other les paul type guitars on the market dont have the specs to match these, especially on the PUP side of things.

Obviously this is only my opinion...and im no expert on Les Pauls

Gibbo LP studio isn't much more.

Gibbo LP Mahog....cheaper.

Used Gibbos....in the same ballpark.

All of the above are much better instruments and values. IMHO.

• Members

Gibbo LP studio isn't much more.

Gibbo LP Mahog....cheaper.

Used Gibbos....in the same ballpark.

All of the above are much better instruments and values. IMHO.

So i dont disagree...Gibson Studio...is only a little bit more expensive than the Epi LP Signature model, however do you not think that you get more guitar for your money?

I did play a few Gibson Studio's which were very nice, but when you look at the Zakk Wylde model, you get solid mahogony body, not chambered, you get ebony fretboard and a great finish (in my opinion, i know its not to everyones taste)

So that's the kind of thing that i struggle with...

• Members

So i dont disagree...Gibson Studio...is only a little bit more expensive than the Epi LP Signature model, however do you not think that you get more guitar for your money?

I did play a few Gibson Studio's which were very nice, but when you look at the Zakk Wylde model, you get solid mahogony body, not chambered, you get ebony fretboard and a great finish (in my opinion, i know its not to everyones taste)

I can't stand Zakk Wylde or the Bullseye guitars, but I do tend to agree. I've got an Epiphone LP Custom that is an excellent guitar and rivals my buddies Gibby LP Studio easily.

Granted I bought that guitar when I was like 17, and now that I'm in a much better place financially I'd be looking at Gibsons.

• Members

There are MANY things that turn me off Epiphones.

Mile thick poly finishes suck arse in my opinion.....kills the neck for me.

Most Epis have less than great hardware and wiring/switches/pots.

I almost bought an Epiphone Elitist LP...BUT, the thing was $1300.00 and was covered in thick poly!!!

You get better wiring and electronics as well as hardware on even the cheapest Gibbo.

If you REALLY want to talk value: Buy a used Heritage H-150 off ebay or CL.......for $1000 you get Custom Shop Gibson Quality!

• Members

I remember really wanting one of those Joe Perry Epis. Went to my local music store and played it, the thing felt very dead and the neck was very poorly done for the kind of money they were asking. Of course this may just be one guitar but i have not wanted one after that.

• Members

Regarding the Epi JB vs the EPI Slash AFD -

I have the Epi Slash and like it. I also have the GIBSON Studio JB and I actually (at this point - important caveat here since my tastes can be fickle) prefer the Epiphone Slash.

The Epi Slash really is a beautiful LP and I like the Alnico II Pro/Slash pickups in it. I generally like lower powered pickups. I usually love Gibson pickups but the Burstbucker 3 is not one of my faves. It's a rather hot-rodded PAF pickup so it doesn't like to idle at the stop lights, it prefers to be put into over drive and roar. Admirable trait, but that's not me as a player.

I can't remember right now what I paid for it, but I did negotiate the price down a good chunk so I paid $8xx-something

Wanna see some pics?

Some of my pics

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

The "deal killer" here for 67 Mike ;)

IMG_0120.jpg

And some shots from the Gallery from whence it hails.

10081514719-detail4-l.jpg

10081514719-detail3-l.jpg

10081514719-detail2-l.jpg

10081514719-detail1-l.jpg

10081514719-front-l.jpg

10081514719-body-l.jpg

But besides its good looks, it just like the way the guitar can sound real sweet and of course with high gain it can get into that Slash lead solo tone. You play it just for a bit and you do get an idea of what Slash likes in an LP and to me that's some sweet versatility. The Joe B is cool, but it is a harder sounding guitar. It more or less needs to gain to soften it up by adding some hair on it.

The only negative I'd report was that mine did not come with good action. But I really regard that as a fluke. I usually have very good luck with good action on Epiphones. I suspected a high fret but the luthier I took it too thought the nut slots were too low. Anyway, I got it fixed under warranty. I did - surprisingly enough - get just a bit of attitude from Sweetwater - a bit of the 'ole - we'll it is an "Epiphone". Well it was the worst I'd seen on an Epiphone and not excusable on a high-end Epiphone. I was also bothered that somewhere along the line - either factory or at Sweetwater - the action had just been cranked up to cover up the problem. So when I started to dial it in, I was getting fret buzz before I got to a good action level. But it all got resolved easily enough through factory warranty and a local authorized Gibson repair tech. ;^)

Archived