Stryper fans?

steve_man

• Members

I wouldn't say I'm a huge Stryper fan, but they certainly were ahead of their time, specifically for the genre they were playing to. I'm surprised at how good they still sound, nearly 30 years later. Michael Sweet still has some serious pipes!

[video=youtube;QkwXM7GsDZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkwXM7GsDZw&list=FL8T9GzhPSZ_N9KK2uG6xarA&index=1

• Members

I absolutely love them. Soldiers Under Command and The Yellow and Black Attack were great. I went to see a local cover band one night, and in the middle of their shitty predictable setlist, they played "Together Forever". I was stunned. Then they went back to playing Skynard tunes.

• Members

I wouldn't say I was ever a fan, but I had a friend whose mom was big into the PMRC and she took us to see them on the To Hell With The Devil and she bought me that album for Christmas.

I haven't listened to any of that since maybe 1987 or so but I remember really liking the song 'The Way'.

I think I remember reading that Michael Sweet was singing with Boston... maybe just a few gigs, maybe for a year or so, but I think they were working together.

• Members

I have seen them live 6 times, starting with the Soldiers Under Command tour. I also have met the guys multiple times, including going to the movies with them back in the 80's :cool:

Was in a band that did several of their more rocking songs back in the early 90's.

Did the Meet and Greet last tour in Asheville, was a lot of fun. I took my then 11 year-old son and he had a blast.

I have an autographed guitar and 6 autographed albums hanging on my wall. I also have about a dozen other autographed items (CDs, bibles, etc.) and my son has an autographed guitar as well.

So yeah, I am a fan.

• Members

Can't say I was a fan, but they were somewhat of a guilty pleasure (as all "hair metal" music was and still is to me :p) I always thought they had a good sense of melody and that Oz Fox was a really, really good guitar player. Michael Sweet's voice bordered on terribly annoying for me sometimes, it was so "Dennis DeYoung" trying to be HARD...that combined with the obvious lyrical content (although sometimes clever) and their image added up to a big slice o' cheese most of the time...but as everyone has said, no more or less than some of their contemporaries. And Oz Fox does rock - his soloing is often a bit more innovative than some others. :idk:

• Members

I saw Stryper back in about '84 when I was 15 and I remember loving the show and their first ep and album. Didn't keep listening but their positive message came at a great time in my life considering my doom and gloom attitude at the time. So major respect and love to Stryper for their unique achievement in rock.

and check out Michael Sweet's new axe from Carvin

5705_Carvin_Stryper_Front_2.jpg

• Members

I listened to them until I was old enough to realize that their awful attempts at evangelism were no less of a gimmick than guys tapping out scale runs. Stryper is a case study of why good songwriters write rock songs about Christianity and bad songwriters write Christian rock.

• Members

I never listened to Stryper when I was in high school but I am very thankful for the genre they created. I think because of Stryper there are bands like Skillet, Pillar, POD and even a band not as "heavy" like The Newsboys.

Yup...LOVE those bands...not huge into Pillar, but POD and Skillet are amazing, as are the the Newsboys.

• Members

I wouldn't say I was ever a fan, but I had a friend whose mom was big into the
PMRC
and she took us to see them on the To Hell With The Devil and she bought me that album for Christmas.

I haven't listened to any of that since maybe 1987 or so but I remember really liking the song 'The Way'.

I think I remember reading that Michael Sweet was singing with Boston... maybe just a few gigs, maybe for a year or so, but I think they were working together.

was never a big fan of Stryper,I actually like these guys alot better....speaking of the PMRC :cop:

[video=youtube;I2JduO42dyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2JduO42dyU

• Members

I listened to them until I was old enough to realize that their awful attempts at evangelism were no less of a gimmick than guys tapping out scale runs. Stryper is a case study of why good songwriters write rock songs about Christianity and bad songwriters write Christian rock.

Even as arguably their biggest fan here, I can see your side of this. I have, at times, questioned their sincerity and dedication to the message (especially during the Against The Law era and with their recent cover album) and I will be the first to admit that some of their lyrics are cringeworthy.

I have to say, though, that taking the stand that they did at the time they did it undoubtedly HURT them in terms of popularity. In terms of raw talent, they were one of the best of the Hair Metal era, yet they got nowhere near the airplay of less talented bands starting out because of their lyrics. They were in a no-man's land... Secular radio would not play them, Christian record stores would not carry them. It took the crossover hit (and one of my LEAST favorite of their songs) "Honestly" to put them on the map.

I was in the same state of despair as others have mentioned. I was dabbling in drugs and Satanism and headed on a path to destruction. Say what you will, but there is no doubt that I was being influenced by culture including the lyrics of the music I was listening to, and Stryper and other "White Metal" bands that followed allowed me to enjoy the style of music I loved without being innundated with lyrics glorifying Satan and the carnal pleasures of this world.

They changed my life forever and helped shape my eternity, so I can look past some of their more insipid lyrics and the cheese factor of their stage presence to be a fan of their music and the guys in general, who have always been some of the nicest and most humble rock stars you could meet.

• Members

Even as arguably their biggest fan here, I can see your side of this. I have, at times, questioned their sincerity and dedication to the message (especially during the Against The Law era and with their recent cover album) and I will be the first to admit that some of their lyrics are cringeworthy.

I have to say, though, that taking the stand that they did at the time they did it undoubtedly HURT them in terms of popularity. In terms of raw talent, they were one of the best of the Hair Metal era, yet they got nowhere near the airplay of less talented bands starting out because of their lyrics. They were in a no-man's land... Secular radio would not play them, Christian record stores would not carry them. It took the crossover hit (and one of my LEAST favorite of their songs) "Honestly" to put them on the map.

I was in the same state of despair as others have mentioned. I was dabbling in drugs and Satanism and headed on a path to destruction. Say what you will, but there is no doubt that I was being influenced by culture including the lyrics of the music I was listening to, and Stryper and other "White Metal" bands that followed allowed me to enjoy the style of music I loved without being innundated with lyrics glorifying Satan and the carnal pleasures of this world.

They changed my life forever and helped shape my eternity, so I can look past some of their more insipid lyrics and the cheese factor of their stage presence to be a fan of their music and the guys in general, who have always been some of the nicest and most humble rock stars you could meet.

Agreed...they were far ahead of their time, and even though they are kinda cheesy with their lyrics sometimes, you cannot deny their playing is/was on par with most other stuff out there. Oz Fox is a stellar guitar player, and Michael Sweet isn't bad, either. Crazy that they are still making music after all these years. New album should be interesting.