Guitars You'd Like To Try But Can't Find Anywhere

Elias Graves

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
The DiPinto Galaxie "Los Straitjackets" model. I love these crazy Jetsons guitars:

DiPinto_Galaxie4.jpg

I almost got one of those for free from Media Play when they used to have this bonus program for club members. You would gain points and bid on items.. I ended up with a MIC Squier Tele autographed by John Mellencamp, but really wanted this one instead...

• Members

AcousticMusic.org
has a shop in Guilford and usually has a couple of Collings among some other really beautiful instruments

Brian always has a metric boatload of awesome acoustics. Bought my Borgeois there, and my Larrivee back when it was just George's place.

Back when Junior's was still in Clinton, we had a better selection of instruments in a 10 mile radius than NYC, if you excluded Staten Island.

• Members

I bought a
Spirit
years ago, but there not the same thing - of course

I once went to buy a Steiny back in the mid 90s, but found they were suddenly no longer available.

They were quite pricey back then - can't exactly remember how much now (something like around $1800 IIRC) - these days, I doubt I'd want to buy one, but I'd still like to play one.

Steinberger is one of the saddest stories in the history of the guitar business. They came up with a truly innovative product that could more or less sell itself and it...didn't. I don't get it. Is it because GC lacks the facilities to hang them up? Bad price points?

Two similar companies, Parker and Brian Moore seem do be doing a lot better.

• Members
That is one of the coolest guitars I have ever seen.... You designed that??? That is freaking awesome... How come you don't have it if you designed it?? Just curious....

'Just one of those things' is about all I can say about it.

I have two guitars of my original design out of the four models that were produced, a single pickup JBD-100...
IMG_4648.jpg

and a natural Korina and red JBD-200...
Red200B.jpg

The one other model not shown is the offset JBD-800.

• Members
Yamaha RGX A2

490782140_o.jpg?nc=470

I have one of the early run, Taiwan made ones. the new ones from indonesia aren't even close to the same playability as the first ones. If you're ever in toronto let me know, can come by and play mine lol.
after i re fret it though... been about 6 years of gigging and playing every day with one. it's my go to guitar!

• Members
Steinberger is one of the saddest stories in the history of the guitar business. They came up with a truly innovative product that could more or less sell itself and it...didn't. I don't get it. Is it because GC lacks the facilities to hang them up? Bad price points?

Two similar companies, Parker and Brian Moore seem do be doing a lot better.

One word: Gibson.

For much of the 80s, Steinberger was doing bang-up business and attracting a lot of star power. They were one of the leading guitar innovators of the 80s, without any question. Then Gibson bought Steinberger in 1987. For whatever reason, Gibson licensed the Steinberger patents out to makers like Cort and Hohner, who then produced cheaper, non-composite versions of the Steinberger in large quantities. Almost from that point on, the image of Steinberger was not of high-quality composite guitars, but of the licensed budget lines which (I think) eroded the cachet of the brand.

Steinberger was making Gibsons look old and stodgy in the 80s, and you know any kid who had enough money for a Les Paul Standard back then would have also been looking at the Steinbergers. The Steinberger looked like the future of guitar designs. Gibsons looked like the past.

I think for Gibson, it was a classic case of "if you can't beat 'em, acquire 'em."