Danny Gatton

onelife

• Members

Living in the DC area, I was lucky enough to see Danny dozens of times through the years. I consider myself fortunate to be able to say that, he was *incredible*. And the nicest guy, humble, unassuming, etc. The best era for me was the black Les Paul/Dirty Dingus box/Leslie phase, although there really was not bad time to see him. His recordings never captured what he sounded like live, for some reason. I love this video...I might even have been there when they recorded it, I saw him at Gallagher's a few times.

[video=youtube;MS5XH84mmI4]

• Members

Saw him play live once, absolutely amazing.

Danny Gatton.

I saw Danny do 2 shows in the same venue one night. I have also seen Tom Principato (a friend of Danny's) several times. If you ever hear of Tom Principato playing near you I suggest you go see him. :thu:

Here they are together! :D

[video=youtube;d0vDkv3g7JM]

• Members

Living in the DC area, I was lucky enough to see Danny dozens of times through the years. I consider myself fortunate to be able to say that, he was *incredible*. And the nicest guy, humble, unassuming, etc. The best era for me was the black Les Paul/Dirty Dingus box/Leslie phase, although there really was not bad time to see him. His recordings never captured what he sounded like live, for some reason. I love this video...I might even have been there when they recorded it, I saw him at Gallagher's a few times.

That's the best video of him on YouTube I think. :love:

• Members

... And the nicest guy, humble, unassuming, etc. ...

My same experience. Other events/other bands I'd attended "back in the day" :facepalm:, some of DC's "musical stars" were very often nowhere to be found until they hit the stage. Danny typically milled around between sets, beer in hand, chatting mutually with members of the audience...

... just wish he was still here :(

• Members

Well they did not call him the Humbler for nothing. Danny was a frightening player who could do anything which was kind of a curse, as the record companies stuck him with a country tag which he used to laugh about when he would win an award for best country artist.I have to say that I was devastated when I heard he killed himself. It is a shame the two Hot Licks tapes are just a handful of any really quality footage shot of him,and the first one had terrible audio.He seemed like the nicest guy you would ever want to hang around and is sadly missed. My favorite DG cut is his take on Harlem Nocturne which is simply haunting.

• Members

Liked the teaching vids he did with that casual "its only like this" way of his.

Yep. I had his Hot Licks video. Didn't learn much from it ( although I picked up some rudimentary Rock-a-Billy chords which I still use), I was still REALLY locked into Rock way back. Wish I could find it now. INCREDIBLE playing. I recall he mimicked a comping organ which was pretty amazing.

• Members

Yep. I had his Hot Licks video. Didn't learn much from it ( although I picked up some rudimentary Rock-a-Billy chords which I still use), I was still REALLY locked into Rock way back. Wish I could find it now. INCREDIBLE playing. I recall he mimicked a comping organ which was pretty amazing.

You can find the Hot Licks video, or at least pieces of it, on YouTube.

link

Archived