Duran Duran.

honeyiscool

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And this correlation is insightful how????

It has to do with taste...someone who says Duran Duran sucked but raves about how great Nirvana was, has SH!t taste. I don't throw it on and spin it now but listen to the drums and bass in Rio. Nice. Actually everything in that tune is nice and Hungry Like The Wolf is heavier than anything Nirvana ever did.

At the very least, if you went to a Duran Duran concert you could pick up a girl who smelled nice, was stylishly dressed, had all of her teeth.

If you picked up at a Nirvana show, you'd have to get close to even decipher if it was female and you'd have to help her score some dope, then wipe the puke off of her after she shot heroin. "All we are is all we are....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz".

• Members

It has to do with taste...someone who says Duran Duran sucked but raves about how great Nirvana was, has SH!t taste. I don't throw it on and spin it now but listen to the drums and bass in Rio. Nice. Actually everything in that tune is nice and Hungry Like The Wolf is heavier than anything Nirvana ever did.

At the very least, if you went to a Duran Duran concert you could pick up a girl who smelled nice, was stylishly dressed, had all of her teeth.

If you picked up at a Nirvana show, you'd have to get close to even decipher if it was female and you'd have to help her score some dope, then wipe the puke off of her after she shot heroin. "All we are is all we are....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz".

You forgot to mention having to brush the hair out of said female's face.

I know I shouldn't have, but I had a good chuckle over that. I didn't care for the resurgence of the dirty hippie movement either. I'd seen the whole bell bottom dirty feet thing the first time around and it wasn't pretty then either.

As for someone's comment about the '80s being all about narcissistic behavior, the '70s wasn't called the "me" generation for nothing, ya know. :D

:wave:

• Members

I'm a huge fan of INXS too. It was a real blow to me when I heard Michael Hutchence had died. For me it was probably what a lot of people felt when Cobain died.

I second this opinion. I miss Mike :cry:

btw, I got into Duran Duran in the mid 90's during my "metal" phase and I went downhill into 80's pop heaven. Astronaut is an awesome album btw!

• Members

It has to do with taste...someone who says Duran Duran sucked but raves about how great Nirvana was, has SH!t taste. I don't throw it on and spin it now but listen to the drums and bass in Rio. Nice. Actually everything in that tune is nice and
Hungry Like The Wolf is heavier than anything Nirvana ever did.

HAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA...yeah okay man whatever....

You don't like Nirvana....we get it.....next time try to spell it out a little more...lol....maybe put a little MORE emotional bitterness into it...lol

• Members

I hated them growing up but it was mostly because of the fat obnoxious girls on the bus that used to write Duran Duran all over their notebooks and drool at them all day long. I have no idea why it irked me so much but it did. Plus lets be real honest here a lot of their image was all about attracting girls and it worked so either there was a fear of being seen as less than manly for liking them or they were threatening as competition or something. Teenage brains are weird.

But as I got older I discovered that I did like a lot of their music. Not every song that is written has to be insiteful or chage the world or be an orchestral achievement, it can be fun and a lot of their stuff is just that. I like John Taylor's groove and thought that he really made their songs move and is severely underrated as a bass player.

Not my favorite band of all time, but I'll listen to them and usually enjoy it.

• Members

That wasn't even my bitter perspective. That was the perspective of tame reality.

There's nothing like a song that goes

doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doot do

That shows real teen aggression.

• Members

Duran Duran is awesome. Very tight, and pretty hummable stuff. :thu: I dig the verses to Rio more than the chorus. They put out some great, great stuff.

No huge political message, but some folks just like making music that millions of people love. :idk:

Seems some folks don't like it. Some of the reasons people don't like it seem kind of silly to me as they have little to with musical merit - but to each their own.

• Members

Didn't rate them at all when they were kings of the new wave/ new romantic thing in the early mid 80's - music for screaming girls and hairdressers. Although Planet Earth was good. Then I heard them doing a Zappa cover at Radio City, it appeared there was a bit more to them musically after all - they're okay apart from playing Watermelon a bitty out of tune (cue screaming girlies):

Archived