Duran Duran.

honeyiscool

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To me they are THE quintessential '80s New Wave band.

Ooh. they wouldn't make my list at all. I think they are very talented, but I don't care for much of their music.

I hate to get nitpicky with labels, but I always thought of them as more of what was then called "New Romantic" kind of sound. More lush, smooth, croony, lovey-dovey love songs, pretty boy image, etc. They were very good and wildly successful doing just that (and yes, they could get funky as well) but when I think of new wave I think more quirky and jerky and nerdy.

Like I said, nitpicking I know...

• Members

I agree that's true about the bulk of aboveground and MTV music. There were a lot of very upbeat and party-time type pop and new wave and even hairmetal bands that emerged in the 80s who were really great and fun. But there was also a pretty big and strong mirror or left-hand path kind of thing going down as well with goth bands (some great, some laughably pretentious and maudlin) and industrial/electro-noise music and especially punk rock where the UK'ers and USA-ians were dealing with Thatcher and Reagan. It resulted in a lot of generic, snotty, badly done punk and hardcore (like any genre of music has a large share of bland or generic acts) but also a lot of really great, energetic and fairly unique bands. Much of that energy was darker and more frustrated/angry.

The haters will continue to hate, but I'm still going to be rocking to Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, The Thompson Twins, INXS, Howard Jones, Devo, Adam Ant (yes I love Ant music), Depeche Mode, New Order, Oingo Boingo, The B-52s, The Go-Gos, Tears For Fears and many others from that era.

I'm right there with you. In fact, you just name-dropped a few of my favorite bands from ANY era.

Archived