can a Duncan lil 59 sound anything like a real humbucker?

metalshredking

• Members

Yeah, you have to be reasonable in your expectations. A Lil 59 isn't going to sound exactly like a full size Duncan 59 which isn't going to sound exactly like a PAF in a '59 LP.

Having said that, I've been able to get along fairly well with most SC-sized HBs. Probably my favorite was a Dimarzio Chopper. Not the best for cleans, but I usually don't go for bridge buckers for cleans anyway. Also had a Dimarzio Fast Track 2, I think... whichever is the hotter Fast Track. It was also great. I've had two Lil 59s, one in a strat and one in a tele. Being relatively modest output, they aren't metal machines but if you want to take most rigs into a bit of dirty country or into classic rock, it's a solid choice.

• Members

None of the strat sized humbuckers sound like the real thing although some are close. Tone Zone S and Fast track 2 will get you much closer than a lil 59 from my experience. I believe dimarzio has seymour duncan beat on this style of pickup.

I have to agree with this! The Tone Zone S is the one I have had the most luck with!

• Members

I had one in a tele. Great pickup. Wire it with a switch to get single coil goodness.

It doesn't sound like a LP, but it will get good thick rock and roll sounds. A little brighter than you might expect, but that's just a tele for you I guess.

Archived