Epiphone Riviera P-93 anyone?

EricJohn

• Members

Got a birthday coming up in a week and a half and looking at hollow or semi-hollow bodies. This Riviera seems very interesting. Nice old school vibe. Not sure how I feel about the middle pickup though as I always felt those middle pickups hinder my playing.

Any experience with these guitars?

Eric

• Members

Got a birthday coming up in a week and a half and looking at hollow or semi-hollow bodies. This Riviera seems very interesting. Nice old school vibe. Not sure how I feel about the middle pickup though as I always felt those middle pickups hinder my playing.

Any experience with these guitars?

Eric

Never played the 93 but it looks good and a few owners here including Frets seem happy enough with theirs.

I have played and suggest you try out the 94, the Nick Valensi Riviera. IMO, about the nicest guitar Epi makes. Great stock pups as well.

Also keep in mind Epi is coming out with a few new semihollow models soon too.

• Members

Yeah, apart from the option of hum-cancelling when dialing in the middle pickup, I don't really like it either. I mostly just turn the volume knob all the way down. It is a nice guitar though. Keeps in tune pretty well, plays very well and just looks stunning.

If you can find a good one that you like the sound of, go and get it!

• Members

I have one and think it's "okay". The P-90s aren't quite as articulate as I'd like, but sounds quite good and bluesy through a somewhat more shallow sounding amp, think "Marshall" or Fender Blues Junior. It sounds particularly good to me in that hair over the edge of break up tone.

I also had trouble with the bridge pickup spacer (off from the body) being too thick which has hindered getting the action low enough for my liking. I think that maybe this has been fixed on later production :idk:.

The middle pickup is not a problem for me. It's not a bad guitar IMO and a good price. I think the Yamaha SA503 TVL is better though, if you can find one.

http://global.ebay.com/Yamaha-Troy-Van-Leeuwen-SA-503-TVL-electric-guitar-WHSC/110779333578/item

• Members
I have one and think it's "okay". The P-90s aren't quite as articulate as I'd like, but sounds quite good and bluesy through a somewhat more shallow sounding amp, think "Marshall" or Fender Blues Junior. It sounds particularly good to me in that hair over the edge of break up tone.

I also had trouble with the bridge pickup spacer (off from the body) being too thick which has hindered getting the action low enough for my liking. I think that maybe this has been fixed on later production
:idk:

The middle pickup is not a problem for me. It's not a bad guitar IMO and a good price. I think the Yamaha SA503 TVL is better though, if you can find one.

http://global.ebay.com/Yamaha-Troy-Van-Leeuwen-SA-503-TVL-electric-guitar-WHSC/110779333578/item

I've experienced the same issue with stock EPI P90s. They just didn't do it for me. I had a Yammi TVL also. Great guitar, but didn't want to take the time to upgrade the stock pickups.

• Members

I've experienced the same issue with stock EPI P90s. They just didn't do it for me. I had a Yammi TVL also. Great guitar, but didn't want to take the time to upgrade the stock pickups.

Yeah, I remember that, and remember you didn't hang onto yours that long, I'm just more stubborn with my guitar purchases :lol:. I will undoubtedly flip mine (SA503) someday since I don't play it often. But I did find it had more clarity than the Riviera; I can use more p'ups on at the same time while getting a bit more chime than from the Riviera. It also has a pickup control layout that sends me to the manual every time I pull it out. :o But if we form our own club that doesn't think that stock Epi P-90s are all that great, we'll have to be as reclusive as druids. ;) But in all seriousness, I do think that with some EQ tweaks and the right amp, the P-93 is a nice guitar. I'm sure Minnie up there can make his sound stellar.

Clip Minnie, clip! Give us a clip :thu:

Archived