REVERB HELP!

burton4snow

• Members

Need reverb for my Egnator Tweaker in the loop. I got it norrowed down to two. The T.C. Hall Of fame and the Hard Wire RV-7. Taking to the Forum to help me make my decision. Feel free to suggest other options. I looked at the Nano Holy Grail but there is no decay so it doesn't work well with distortion. Also I have the Holy Grail Plus so kind of looking for something different. I am also wondering about the T-Rex Tonebug. Mostly looking for a good spring reverb.

• Members

Carl Martin Headroom. I have one and really like it.

It replaced my Fender Reverb Unit because it's smaller and it gives you two presets (along with remote switching).

I had tried the Boss FRV-1 (ok but not great) and the Fuchs Verberator (very nice but not spring sounding).

• Members

Best thing to do is to try them out if possible. I really like the Hardwire unit personally if you are thinking about a digital unit though. It is quite impressive. I rarely use the tube reverb on my Fender amp and run it instead. Oh, the plate reverb selection is killer. Having Lexicon based reverbs in this unit is what I think sets it apart from others in its class. There are other actual tube reverb units out there that are better but none more versatile.

• Members

I had tried the Boss FRV-1 (ok but not great) and the Fuchs Verberator (very nice but not spring sounding).

Yeah, I have one too and would tend to agree with that. In fact I didn't even like mine out of the box. But I did learn to reduce the tone to bleed off some of the "keerang-ing" treble it produces and that has helped a bit and made it more usable for me.

The FRV-1 has a bit of a better "spring" reverb" IMO than the HG, but the HG's "hall" reverb is better than anything the FRV-1 produces.

The Digiverb is actually fairly decent and it's "church" mode is a trip. An old fave of mine is the Boss RV-3. It doesn't have "spring" but its "plate" plus one slap-back from its delay component sounds very "spring"-like.

Just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents. I haven't tried the Hard Wire or the TC Hall of Fame. Sometimes I think an analog delay is a better way to approach a spring reverb tone. I like depth, but I really don't like the extra treble that some spring reverb emulation units produce. They can be rather ice-pick-y

• Members

Yeah, I have one too and would tend to agree with that. In fact I didn't even like mine out of the box. But I did learn to reduce the tone to bleed off some of the "keerang-ing" treble it produces and that has helped a bit and made it more usable for me.

The FRV-1 has a bit of a better "spring" reverb" IMO than the HG, but the HG's "hall" reverb is better than anything the FRV-1 produces.

The Digiverb is actually fairly decent and it's "church" mode is a trip. An old fave of mine is the Boss RV-3. It doesn't have "spring" but its "plate" plus one slap-back from its delay component sounds very "spring"-like.

Just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents. I haven't tried the Hard Wire or the TC Hall of Fame. Sometimes I think an analog delay is a better way to approach a spring reverb tone. I like depth, but I really don't like the extra treble that some spring reverb emulation units produce. They can be rather ice-pick-y

Never tried the HG but I was looking for a spring reverb. I own a couple high end rack reverbs but I really wanted that spring sound (and feel). For me, I tried a bunch of boxes but all fell short on the spring sounds. The Headroom is great because it's cheaper then the big Fender box and does more (2 presets) and it's a real tank inside.

It you're looking for a hall, plate, etc... there are better options but for a true spring sound I really like it.

• Members

Never tried the HG but I was looking for a spring reverb. I own a couple high end rack reverbs but I really wanted that spring sound (and feel). For me, I tried a bunch of boxes but all fell short on the spring sounds. The Headroom is great because it's cheaper then the big Fender box and does more (2 presets) and it's a real tank inside.

It you're looking for a hall, plate, etc... there are better options but for a true spring sound I really like it.

Yes, possibly the best reverb unit I have is contained within a multi-fx rack unit, the Peavey ProFex. But it's kinda of a pain to use. It needs to be rebooted often. I think its got some sort of internal battery unit that needs to be replaced, so any power blip makes it go off line, then I have to remember the sequential of holding down 2 of its buttons while I shove the power adaptor plug back up its arse. :eek:

But when it's up and going, it's got a lot of parameters to adjust, most of which can be individually adjusted on the left or right channel for some cool stereo nuances.

• Members

I think I could live happily with the Hall Of Fame or the Hardwire. I sold my Hardwire, but I'll likely pick up another one in the next few months.

Another one that was surprisingly good was the Marshall Reflector. Not saying it's on par with the other two, but it ain't too bad if you get a really good deal on a used one.

Archived