What Piece of Gear Turned Out to be a Doorstop?

Anderton

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Old - Yamaha A5000 sampler. I bought it because everyone was supposed to have a sampler. To me, building a sample set was too much busy work. Just give me a preset machine and a few ways to mangle the sound. I still have it because it is too big to pack up and Ebay with any ease.

New(er)- Harvestman Hertz Donut and the Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer. The Hertz Donut and the Plague Bearer were to of the most talked about Eurorack modules when I started my modular. To me, the Plague Bearer just made things sound bad. The Hertz Donut is a digital dual oscillator. Digital oscillators never stand up to what I put them through in a modular.

Past year - Roland VH-11 hi-hat. Love my VDrums. So do my neighbors. Cannot get used to playing rubber hi-hats. For me it is easier to play the part on a PD-85.

• Members

Old - Yamaha A5000 sampler. I bought it because everyone was supposed to have a sampler. To me, building a sample set was too much busy work. Just give me a preset machine and a few ways to mangle the sound. I still have it because it is too big to pack up and Ebay with any ease.

New(er)- Harvestman Hertz Donut and the Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer. The Hertz Donut and the Plague Bearer were to of the most talked about Eurorack modules when I started my modular. To me, the Plague Bearer just made things sound bad. The Hertz Donut is a digital dual oscillator. Digital oscillators never stand up to what I put them through in a modular.

Past year - Roland VH-11 hi-hat. Love my VDrums. So do my neighbors. Cannot get used to playing rubber hi-hats. For me it is easier to play the part on a PD-85.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnobs

View Post

I have several things, as we all do I suppose.

I have a Meek VC1q in my rack (basically a channel strip with pre, EQ, and opto compression) and it never seems to be the right color for anything I record. It looks pretty in the rack though. wink.gif

Another piece of gear I sometimes force myself to use is a Royer 121 ribbon mic. I never liked the way it sounded at all until a guy who uses one a lot over on Open Jam told me the back sounds a lot better then the front. Now I'll sometimes use it as the close mic on a guitar amp with a Neumann TLM103 farther back in the room.

And no, I've not popped the ribbon yet.

Terry D.

I was thinking I'd have to reach way back to the Behringer Composer I bought in the mid 90s (although it was actually usable -- until it died during the warranty period and I quickly found out that hundreds of American purchasers sending their units to German for warranty repair were almost universally complaining that it was one-way trip for their gear), Better yet, the two Behringer 5 band fully para EQs I bought not long later. Now, this was BEFORE Behringer dropped their prices. I was paying what at the time was reasonably good money for those devices. While the Composer (a full control compressor) wasn't too awful -- the EQs sounded like utter crap right out the -- bypass each channel of control and then toggle the main bypass on/off and the degradation just from the basic i/o circuits was obvious.

Anyhow, mention of the Meek box reminded me of my own VC3 -- which was well reviewed, got good word-of-mouth and was much-liked by one of my 3DW pals [who had a much better track record on the knob side than I did (working on projects and mixes for a number of folks you may actually have heard of) -- although he has completely washed his hands of the music biz, too]... I've used the thing with more or less every serious mic I have (not that impressive a collection, mind you) and I've yet to really bond with it. In fact, I can't think of hardly any finished projects I've used it on.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnobs

View Post

I have several things, as we all do I suppose.

I have a Meek VC1q in my rack (basically a channel strip with pre, EQ, and opto compression) and it never seems to be the right color for anything I record. It looks pretty in the rack though. wink.gif

Another piece of gear I sometimes force myself to use is a Royer 121 ribbon mic. I never liked the way it sounded at all until a guy who uses one a lot over on Open Jam told me the back sounds a lot better then the front. Now I'll sometimes use it as the close mic on a guitar amp with a Neumann TLM103 farther back in the room.

And no, I've not popped the ribbon yet.

Terry D.

I was thinking I'd have to reach way back to the Behringer Composer I bought in the mid 90s (although it was actually usable -- until it died during the warranty period and I quickly found out that hundreds of American purchasers sending their units to German for warranty repair were almost universally complaining that it was one-way trip for their gear), Better yet, the two Behringer 5 band fully para EQs I bought not long later. Now, this was BEFORE Behringer dropped their prices. I was paying what at the time was reasonably good money for those devices. While the Composer (a full control compressor) wasn't too awful -- the EQs sounded like utter crap right out the -- bypass each channel of control and then toggle the main bypass on/off and the degradation just from the basic i/o circuits was obvious.

Anyhow, mention of the Meek box reminded me of my own VC3 -- which was well reviewed, got good word-of-mouth and was much-liked by one of my 3DW pals [who had a much better track record on the knob side than I did (working on projects and mixes for a number of folks you may actually have heard of) -- although he has completely washed his hands of the music biz, too]... I've used the thing with more or less every serious mic I have (not that impressive a collection, mind you) and I've yet to really bond with it. In fact, I can't think of hardly any finished projects I've used it on.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

You didn't find VRM a good eway to do "reality checks" on mixes to check translation? I sure find it more convenient than the "old school" way of having a bunch of different speakers, and switching between them.

No. The ARC system blew it away but once I spent the time and money to build really nice acoustic batts and corner traps after testing my room with Fuzzmeasure software, I really didn't need the ARC anymore, I still have some issues but Since I know what they are now, I can work with them. Still need another set of monitors. I do use the omni mic that came with the ARC to measure my room and our bigger studio though smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

You didn't find VRM a good eway to do "reality checks" on mixes to check translation? I sure find it more convenient than the "old school" way of having a bunch of different speakers, and switching between them.

No. The ARC system blew it away but once I spent the time and money to build really nice acoustic batts and corner traps after testing my room with Fuzzmeasure software, I really didn't need the ARC anymore, I still have some issues but Since I know what they are now, I can work with them. Still need another set of monitors. I do use the omni mic that came with the ARC to measure my room and our bigger studio though smile.gif

• Members

This may be blasphemous, but I'll nominate the UAD Fairchild 670 plug-in (a "virtual" doorstop in my rig).

I had a UAD voucher and I made the mistake of not trying the demo first. It just doesn't work well with the music I do, short of one acoustic guitar track that it helped with (I try to incorporate it at times to make myself feel better for buying it smile.gif). I love Universal's stuff, but in hindsight I should have picked up the LA3A or perhaps a dbx 160.

I bought a small tube preamp as well (Presonus TubePre), but it was too hot for active pick-ups. I soon realized you're not going to get vintage tube sound from a $100 preamp. I sold it on eBay for half the price.

Todd

• Members

This may be blasphemous, but I'll nominate the UAD Fairchild 670 plug-in (a "virtual" doorstop in my rig).

I had a UAD voucher and I made the mistake of not trying the demo first. It just doesn't work well with the music I do, short of one acoustic guitar track that it helped with (I try to incorporate it at times to make myself feel better for buying it smile.gif). I love Universal's stuff, but in hindsight I should have picked up the LA3A or perhaps a dbx 160.

I bought a small tube preamp as well (Presonus TubePre), but it was too hot for active pick-ups. I soon realized you're not going to get vintage tube sound from a $100 preamp. I sold it on eBay for half the price.

Todd

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 144dB

View Post

I had a UAD voucher and I made the mistake of not trying the demo first. It just doesn't work well with the music I do, short of one acoustic guitar track that it helped with (I try to incorporate it at times to make myself feel better for buying it smile.gif).

Did you try it on the mix bus?

• Members

View Post

I had a UAD voucher and I made the mistake of not trying the demo first. It just doesn't work well with the music I do, short of one acoustic guitar track that it helped with (I try to incorporate it at times to make myself feel better for buying it smile.gif).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by roomjello

View Post

Hi Roomjello... I'll have to give that a shot. I've experimented with it in a mastering chain in Wavelab (which is sort of similar to slapping it on the master buss), but I've never tried it as a true bus compressor for mixing. Usually I'll use the SSL 4K buss compressor plug-in (UAD) or the Precision Buss Compressor (also UAD).

Todd

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by roomjello

View Post

Hi Roomjello... I'll have to give that a shot. I've experimented with it in a mastering chain in Wavelab (which is sort of similar to slapping it on the master buss), but I've never tried it as a true bus compressor for mixing. Usually I'll use the SSL 4K buss compressor plug-in (UAD) or the Precision Buss Compressor (also UAD).

Todd

• Members

View Post

Todd

That's too bad. The Bombfactory version of the 660 is my go-to compressor for all kinds of stuff, vocals, drum auxes, acoustic guitars, etc. It's really pillowy and huge without pumping.

• Members

View Post

Todd

That's too bad. The Bombfactory version of the 660 is my go-to compressor for all kinds of stuff, vocals, drum auxes, acoustic guitars, etc. It's really pillowy and huge without pumping.

• Members

Ibanez Cyberdrive. Admittedly it was cheap but it sounded cool in the shop. Absolute rubbish, haven't found one decent use for it. And it isn't because it's a Soundtank pedal. I have a Tremolo and Tube Screamer from that series and both are fine and useful.

Archived