What Piece of Gear Turned Out to be a Doorstop?

Anderton

• Members
UstadKhanAli

I just thought of one. The SE Electronics Project Studio Reflexion Filter is a doorstop. It does what it is supposed to, it's not that, but the mounting mechanism is the biggest piece of {censored}. The thing never stays on, and it cannot handle large microphones, which is about the only time I ever would want to use it. Just horrible. I can't stand the thing, and will probably sell it when I have a chance.

Yesterday 10:35 PM
Amen! I sold mine on ebay. The mount, it's size and the limited number of ways to place it with mics being used left it unusable for me!

If it were big enough to hold open a door, the damn Steinberg Dongle! I never seem to have it when I want it. So, I get out of the habit of using their software. Then when I think it might be the right tool for he job, I can't find the damn thing!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
UstadKhanAli

I just thought of one. The SE Electronics Project Studio Reflexion Filter is a doorstop. It does what it is supposed to, it's not that, but the mounting mechanism is the biggest piece of {censored}. The thing never stays on, and it cannot handle large microphones, which is about the only time I ever would want to use it. Just horrible. I can't stand the thing, and will probably sell it when I have a chance.

Yesterday 10:35 PM
Amen! I sold mine on ebay. The mount, it's size and the limited number of ways to place it with mics being used left it unusable for me!

If it were big enough to hold open a door, the damn Steinberg Dongle! I never seem to have it when I want it. So, I get out of the habit of using their software. Then when I think it might be the right tool for he job, I can't find the damn thing!

• Moderators

I have a Roland V-Drum kit, really nice one with the mesh heads and the three zone ride cymbal, gathering dust. I didn't expect clients to lay down tracks with it, but I thought it would be nice for rehearsing my own band to save the drummer from having to carry his own set - not to mention late night jamming. But no one will use it. One drummer told me, "How about we tell you to leave your tele at home and play a rubber electronic guitar." eek.gif

Terry D.

• Moderators

I have a Roland V-Drum kit, really nice one with the mesh heads and the three zone ride cymbal, gathering dust. I didn't expect clients to lay down tracks with it, but I thought it would be nice for rehearsing my own band to save the drummer from having to carry his own set - not to mention late night jamming. But no one will use it. One drummer told me, "How about we tell you to leave your tele at home and play a rubber electronic guitar." eek.gif

Terry D.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by timmit65

View Post

Yeah. The actual product works great, just as advertised. It's the mount that is unnecessarily complicated and difficult to adjust satisfactorily, particularly with a good mic. There's another company that makes a similar device, I wish I could remember which one, and I felt that their mount looked a lot less fussy.

The funny thing about this is that I purchased this because I thought it would be handy for this radio show that I had been recording for several years, and right after I purchased it, we stopped doing the radio show. biggrin.gif Oh well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by timmit65

View Post

Yeah. The actual product works great, just as advertised. It's the mount that is unnecessarily complicated and difficult to adjust satisfactorily, particularly with a good mic. There's another company that makes a similar device, I wish I could remember which one, and I felt that their mount looked a lot less fussy.

The funny thing about this is that I purchased this because I thought it would be handy for this radio show that I had been recording for several years, and right after I purchased it, we stopped doing the radio show. biggrin.gif Oh well.

• Members

hmmm, not anymore. If I have gear which I don`t use or don`t like, I either throw it our (no kidding) or sell it. For example, I had a POD a while back but decided to throw it out when I no longer liked it. I just couldn`t imagine someone else making music with that thing. I know some people love their PODs but for me, nothing beats a mic in front of an amp moving some air molecules. ymmv

ADATs.... ended up throwing them out after they sat in my rack unused for almost 10 years... it was hard to throw them away knowing I spent $5000 on them back in the day.

Now more and more is in the box so its a pretty efficient setup.

• Members

hmmm, not anymore. If I have gear which I don`t use or don`t like, I either throw it our (no kidding) or sell it. For example, I had a POD a while back but decided to throw it out when I no longer liked it. I just couldn`t imagine someone else making music with that thing. I know some people love their PODs but for me, nothing beats a mic in front of an amp moving some air molecules. ymmv

ADATs.... ended up throwing them out after they sat in my rack unused for almost 10 years... it was hard to throw them away knowing I spent $5000 on them back in the day.

Now more and more is in the box so its a pretty efficient setup.

• Members

A Paia Synth Spin is all I can think of. 30+ years in music recording and I always seem to buy the right things since I can remember. I've got a crap load of stuff, but everything has a place and works as it should. There are some things I wish I had back, but can't really think of anything I want to toss. Not sure why except I'm not an easy sell or into trends.

• Members

A Paia Synth Spin is all I can think of. 30+ years in music recording and I always seem to buy the right things since I can remember. I've got a crap load of stuff, but everything has a place and works as it should. There are some things I wish I had back, but can't really think of anything I want to toss. Not sure why except I'm not an easy sell or into trends.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Folder

View Post

I bought a Lexicon Alex.

Alex was short for "A Lexicon".

I was under the impression that if it was "A Lexicon" it had to be good.

Boy was I gullible with that one.facepalm.gif

Yeah, I had one of those too in the mid to late 90s... it wasn`t bad for delay or a background efx but definitely not worthy of the Lexicon name or a lead instrument. The guitarist in my band at the time also owned two of their other Lexicon "budget units" which we used extensively on our recordings but again, I wouldn`t call them Lexicon worthy. Another purchase I made at the time now that I`m thinking about that studio (late `90s) was the Aphex Aural Exciter. It was one of those units that actually did a decent job on the low end by adding some harmonics to the signal which I enjoyed in my mixes but the top end was brittle.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Folder

View Post

I bought a Lexicon Alex.

Alex was short for "A Lexicon".

I was under the impression that if it was "A Lexicon" it had to be good.

Boy was I gullible with that one.facepalm.gif

Yeah, I had one of those too in the mid to late 90s... it wasn`t bad for delay or a background efx but definitely not worthy of the Lexicon name or a lead instrument. The guitarist in my band at the time also owned two of their other Lexicon "budget units" which we used extensively on our recordings but again, I wouldn`t call them Lexicon worthy. Another purchase I made at the time now that I`m thinking about that studio (late `90s) was the Aphex Aural Exciter. It was one of those units that actually did a decent job on the low end by adding some harmonics to the signal which I enjoyed in my mixes but the top end was brittle.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli

View Post

You haven't found that useful? Why, outta curiosity? Is it because you're not using much hardware?

Mine gets a lot of use. Actually, I have two and they both get used a lot.

When I patch in outboard gear, I just hook it up to my mixer on extra channels. Or, in the case of my tape machine, hook it directly to my audio interface (4 stems out to the record head, 4 stems back in from the reproduce head). I just didn't find the patch bay that helpful; it's easier and faster to just wire up what I need when I need it.

Archived