Squier Classic Vibe Strat or Xavier XV-870 Strat

burton4snow

• Members

Looking for an inexpensive Strat type guitar. I have every other type of guitar but never tried the strat. I am just a garage band jammer and looking for the most affordable strat type that will give authentic strat sounds. The above two Squier and Xavier seem good. I have had a couple of Xaviers one good and one okay. Nevertried a Squier. Please help with my decision thanks!

• Members

The CVs I've played have been really great. Most will agree. The neck may be thin for your tastes but build-wise and sound-wise it's one of the best you can get in that price range.

I personally wouldn't waste my time buying an Xaviere sight unseen, though I hear they have a very liberal return policy.

• Members

CV for sure. I have had a couple Xaviere Strats and they weren't bad, but they did need work, especially the frets. I have had a CV50s and currently have a CV60s strat. They are far superior in build quality, fit, and finish. The necks are a little thinner, but I like it. I gig mine regularly. The only thing I did to mine was add a steel trem block and strap locks.

The pickups are great.

• Members

CV, hands down. I have a XV-870 and a CV tele (not a strat) and the CV is at least 3x the guitar all around---neck, finish, tone, pickups, etc. And don't buy the "I'll just upgrade the pickups" line---that won't turn an XV-870 into a CV, I've tried.

To me, the CV line shows the good side of a big brand---they devote a lot of time to build and QC because their name is on the line. And it shows. Xaviere doesn't have a high-end line, it's all cheapies.

• Members

To me, the CV line shows the good side of a big brand---they devote a lot of time to build and QC because their name is on the line. And it shows. Xaviere doesn't have a high-end line, it's all cheapies.

Not to mention that if you ever want to sell, the big brand holds much more of its value.

• Members

As a past owner of both of those guitars, will go with consensus and say the CV Strat, hands down, is the better buy. The Xaviere's are decent but, the fretwork, build quality, pickups and (in my experience) the overall tone leave a little to be desired. The frets needed to be levelled on the three Xaviere's (xv 870, xv 820 and xv 500) I have had to be even acceptably playable. The pickups on the XV 870 were lifeless.

The CV needed nothing to be a good strat. Wish I still had mine. Like the idiot I am, I sold it. :facepalm:

Archived