Let's Get a Strat for Stratogirl!!!

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow!

A few days ago I was thinking about PM'ing Atrox to ask how much would it cost for him to put together a cherry sunburst or red strat for Stratogirl.. If Atrox could put it together with a price low enough that I could afford, I would give it as Xmas present to her and if the price was more than I could afford then instead of buying it by myself I would share the costs with Stratogirl as she was already planning to buy a guitar herself.

For those who do not know, we live in Romania where getting a guitar is a big problem. I am japanese now living in Romania. I used to have a Fender strat there but when I moved here I was so afraid of having it transported that I prefered to sell it than to have it damaged or stolen during transport (well, that was 5 years ago and the post office was much worse in that period before Romania joined the EU).

Stratogirl and me have been friends for some time now and since I showed her some Pink Floyd videos she fell in love with David Gilmour and she was very happy when I taught her to play Wish You Were Here on my acoustic/electric. Since then she fell in love with the red strat that Gilmour plays on PULSE and since then she's been saving money to get a strat. Some of you have seen her thread about Gilmour's red strat.

Sometime ago I found a Kramer on a local shop and I was planning to buy it as a present to her but as it wasn't red (it was a cherry sunburst) and it had that pointy head I thought better ask her if she would like it first so I got the catalog of it and showed to her and she loved the cherry sunburst color but she didn't want to let me get it as a present because it was too expensive but she accepted for me to help her buy it if she finds that the price was fair. She made some inquiries in this forum and found out that the same guitar costs $75 in US. Here it was sold for almost $300. So she decided not to buy it and not let me buy it.

But I know she liked it and now she was between the Torino red (we watched PULSE many times to find out what color it was and we decided its either Torino or Dakota red. On her thread about it someone proved that it is in fact candy apple red. But then it was too late. She had decided for dakota or torino :lol: ) and the cherry sunburst. Especially after someone here in the forum bought a cherry sunburst Squier. She even saved the pics of it and showed it to me and even though she doesn't like rosewood fretboards she decided she wanted a Squier like that and I told her that if it was above her budget I would help her buy it. Well, unfortunately when I checked with the local guitar shop I found out that the guitar would cost more than $500 and we would have to order it, which means we wouldnt be able to check the guitar before handling the money and its above both our budgets. Yes this is how things are in Romania, believe or not.

I myself haven't played a guitar for more than 20 years but lately Stratogirl's contagious enthusiasm got into me and I decided to get myself a guitar too and try to learn to play again. Actually we decided to learn together and help each other. So I decided to get myself a Squier Tele Custom II. After many problems with the local Fender shop I decided to order it from Germany. Unfortunately it arrived here broken, with one tuner key completely broken off the head, due to bad packaging and even worse handling. And now Im still talking to the german shop to decide the fate of the guitar.

Well that was a shock to us. To me because I was really expecting this guitar. It would be the first guitar that I buy in more than 10 years and I had so many problems trying to get it and in the end it arrived broken that I started to hate it and thought I would never bond with it. So I decided I will send it back for a replacement and hope I will bond with the next one (if the next one arrives without problems). And it was a shock for Stratogirl also because we decided that if I get my guitar from Germany without problems I would help her get hers from Germany also. I would help by buying it with my credit card (she doesnt have credit card because her company refuses to sign as her gurantors (sp?). Yes you need such thing here to get a credit card) and if the guitar she choses was more than her budget I would help her with the money also. She was so happy and we started browsing Thomann's site for a nice strat for her. But after my guitar arrived broken she was really disappointed because she won't be able to afford to spend more money having the guitar sent back and forth again. Hell, even I am broke with the problems I had with my Tele and I still havent seen the end of it yet.

So that's when I thought about asking Atrox about how much would it cost to put a strat together. But because I am broke with my Tele problems right now I was going to delay it for a couple of months more and give it as a Xmas present to Stratogirl.

But now you guys really surprised me with this campaign! Wow, guys, you're really nice! :thu: :thu:

Men, what a difference from the Romanian guitar forum! Romania has a very small guitar community and everybody has the same problems in getting instruments and services and resources here but instead of helping each other, they just fight among themselves for the most ridiculous reasons. I post a thread there asking about that Kramer that I wanted to buy for Stratogirl and after 3 or 4 posts it turned into a "my guitar is better than yours" war because people started suggesting other brands.

But here...Well, I see some minor bickering from time to time but its so good to see people helping each other and getting together to help someone else. Thanks, Funderbunk, Ratae, Atrox, Minitruth, JJ, Willyguitar, Adlo, metalheadUK, GilmourD, Splendor, Frets...and everybody else. Im sure Im forgetting a lot of names here, sorry. Thank you everybody for trying to help in this campaign and for making this forum such a nice place!

I think Stratogirl been away for a few days because she's been busy trying to get a new job. I was planning to make her a Xmas surprise but now that this thread is out she will get an even bigger surprise when she sees it!

Well, the bad thing is that right now I can't help in this campaign :( Im broke with the problems Im having with my own Tele and I don't have any guitar parts. :cry:

Edit: My amp! :idea: I'll give her my Micro Cube! She was impressed with the sound of that tiny amp and I'm sure she loved it!

I will try and get some informations about customs and taxes. If theres anything else I can help with, please let me know.

Edit 2: I reread the thread and saw that the color is going to be decided between shell pink, white and black. I talked a lot about the color in this post but Im sure she will appreciate it no matter what color it is (though if possible, I would avoid the pink one. She usually makes harsh comments about pink clothes and especially about the Hello Kitty guitar :lol: )

• Members

Not to be the wet blanket in all of this, but I started a thread about 3 or 4 months ago to do the same thing for a low-income college student here in the States. Just like this thread, I had tons of offers to send parts...sent people the address to ship it to, waited...and received a pickguard and a bridge. Then another "noble" forum member offered to buy him a new guitar, and just send me the cash. Told me to order the guitar, and he'd send me the money. Well, I paid for the guitar...and suddenly he quit returning e-mails and quit showing up on the forum. So, I ended up footing the entire bill for the guitar, which I honestly could not afford, but what was I supposed to tell the kid? Give me your guitar so I can get my money back?

Not trying to be all doomsday here, just saying that you should not get too excited about all of this until you either have the parts in your hands, or the money/guitar sitting on your doorstep. Sad, but that's how things go sometimes.

• Members

Not to be the wet blanket in all of this, but I started a thread about 3 or 4 months ago to do the same thing for a low-income college student here in the States. Just like this thread, I had tons of offers to send parts...sent people the address to ship it to, waited...and received a pickguard and a bridge. Then another "noble" forum member offered to buy him a new guitar, and just send me the cash. Told me to order the guitar, and he'd send me the money. Well, I paid for the guitar...and suddenly he quit returning e-mails and quit showing up on the forum. So, I ended up footing the entire bill for the guitar, which I honestly could not afford, but what was I supposed to tell the kid? Give me your guitar so I can get my money back?

Not trying to be all doomsday here, just saying that you should not get too excited about all of this until you either have the parts in your hands, or the money/guitar sitting on your doorstep. Sad, but that's how things go sometimes.

You need to out this poster, so we can all know who this rat bastid is.

• Members
You need to out this poster, so we can all know who this rat bastid is.

Well, the sorry thing is that I finally deleted all of his PMs. I can't remember his name, but he seemed like a really nice guy. I remember his avatar was of a pretty sweet super-strat type (custom with custom pickguard) guitar in a gloss natural finish.

Wish I could remember his screen name....sorry....I've tried to block out that memory...it only makes me angry...:mad:

• Members

Well, the sorry thing is that I finally deleted all of his PMs. I can't remember his name, but he seemed like a really nice guy. I remember his avatar was of a pretty sweet super-strat type (custom with custom pickguard) guitar in a gloss natural finish.

Wish I could remember his screen name....sorry....I've tried to block out that memory...it only makes me angry...
:mad:

Did he ever post in the thread where you solicited donations? If so, it's easy to track him down.

EDIT: Was it this?

ranger.jpg

If so, it's geddins81

• Members
Do U have paypal account? PM me.

Minitruth ,I didnt get funds in in time to be able to nominate anyone for the Mason guitar from Atrox, but I was going to nominate you. Fwiw. Yeah, I know. Shoulda coulda woulda. I bet you would have done pretty well in the contest but, Oh well. Sorry. You are welcome for nothing.:D

• Members
No such thing!
:mad:

:freak: LOL. Can you tell I was looking at SD p'ups at the time? Obviously I meant a DiMarzio Super Distortion... doesn't look like this project is heading in a fat strat direction, but I'll hold onto it incase another worthy cause pops up.

• Members
Did he ever post in the thread where you solicited donations? If so, it's easy to track him down.

EDIT: Was it this?

ranger.jpg
If so, it's geddins81

Yup, that's the guy. I'd remember that guitar anywhere. He may be a nice guy, but July is when he quit sending me messages. Not real happy with him at all.

• Members

OK. Let's make this a go. After the Mason give-away thread, I have learned that most people are trustworthy enough to go ahead. Sorry about your troubles steve_man. That really sucks.

Sean, just let me know about the neck thang.

Ronin_JP, i appreciate you thinking about me. Trust me, i would have made it so you could afford it. However, this way, it's us who have to afford it. Plus I would have been concerned about shipping prices and customs and tax's and stuff from the US.

• Members

FWIW, Stratogirl is for real. I've exchanged PM's with her and she's very nice.
She is very interested in playing and loves David Gilmour almost as much as I
do. No, I had no leg-humping desire either. :rolleyes: As the recipient of the
kindness of some person here, I'm in.

Ratae, PM me when you figure this out, I'm in for 10-15 quid- er, bucks.:thu:

• Members
Minitruth ,I didnt get funds in in time to be able to nominate anyone for the Mason guitar from Atrox, but I was going to nominate you. Fwiw. Yeah, I know. Shoulda coulda woulda. I bet you would have done pretty well in the contest but, Oh well. Sorry. You are welcome for nothing.
:D

Well, it's the thought that counts, Dave.:D

Archived