Oh hot mama. :D

honeyiscool

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gah! Why rosewood? Really guys? Man maple would be so much better and surfier.

I do also hope the sales people at guitar center are gracious and direct the kids who want mega distortion away from this thing.

60s style neck, though. I consider 60s Strats to be largely rosewood affairs. I think maple neck is more country, rosewood is more surf.

LARGELY SPEAKING OF COURSE.

• Members

I wonder if it's actually rosewood? Is the wood sourced locally? Does China have rosewood trees? If Fender is shipping loads of wood into China for these guitars, they can't be making much on them once they hit American streets. Freight on all that is NOT cheap.

• Members

Regardless of several details, that guitar is pretty awesome. Doubtful I'll buy one, but I've been thinking off and on of converting one of my strats to lipsticks for about 4 or 5 years.

This would be the likely candidate:

DSC_8837a1.jpg

Or this one:

DSC_8934a1.jpg

• Members

Raven, are you seriously being
that
guy right now.

It was a legitimate question about the woods used on Squiers. My daughter has a mini Squier and it has a "rosewood" fretboard that I'm FAR from convinced is real rosewood.. It's dry and pale, like many of the Squiers I've seen in GC. So I'd like to know exactly what kind of rosewood they use to make Squiers. Answer it if you can; move on if you can't.

• Members

It was a legitimate question about the woods used on Squiers. My daughter has a mini Squier and it has a "rosewood" fretboard that I'm FAR from convinced is real rosewood.. It's dry and pale, like many of the Squiers I've seen in GC. So I'd like to know exactly what kind of rosewood they use to make Squiers. Answer it if you can; move on if you can't.

Maybe try contacting Fender/Squier. I imagine that it is real rosewood, rosewood can vary greatly in colour (and quality).

• Members

Maybe try contacting Fender/Squier. I imagine that it is real rosewood, rosewood can vary greatly in colour (and quality).

I was hoping that someone on this forum knew of someone that had already done just that. I know that "rosewood" and "mahogany" are very broad descriptions, so this probably is rosewood. But it's not like any rosewood I've seen before on more expensive guitars. Rosewood should be darker and more reddish in color, and it should feel waxy. This stuff is pale brown and dry as a bone. Just curious what it is. Not trying to disrupt yet another HCEG Squier worship thread. Carry on, oh lovers of the cheap..

• Members

I don't know about what wood Squier uses any more than any other random internet dude, but my guess is on the lower end Squiers, they don't polish the rosewood fretboards to save on cost.

I've had a number of fretboards from Squier, Allparts and Mighty Mite that shine up right nice with a bit of work with a Dremel on low and a polishing wheel.

• Members

I was hoping that someone on this forum knew of someone that had already done just that. I know that "rosewood" and "mahogany" are very broad descriptions, so this probably is rosewood. But it's not like any rosewood I've seen before on more expensive guitars. Rosewood should be darker and more reddish in color, and it should feel waxy. This stuff is pale brown and dry as a bone. Just curious what it is. Not trying to disrupt yet another HCEG Squier worship thread. Carry on, oh lovers of the cheap..

The Gibson Les Paul I just sold had a fairly pale rosewood fretboard in comparison to the pic up top and was also quite dry. I prefer ebony fretboards personally, but I'm not too picky.

• Members

I don't know about what wood Squier uses any more than any other random internet dude, but my guess is on the lower end Squiers, they don't polish the rosewood fretboards to save on cost.

I've had a number of fretboards from Squier, Allparts and Mighty Mite that shine up right nice with a bit of work with a Dremel on low and a polishing wheel.

Polished isn't the same as what I'm talking about. Real unfinished rosewood has an oily or waxy feel to it. What's on her guitar doesn't. I can see the color being different, because visually it's similar to what Ric uses on their guitars. But defeating that waxy feeling is something people have worked on for years. It's one of the reasons rosewood is almost always left unfinished. A finish isn't needed, and it's gets messed up by the oil.

• Members

Polished isn't the same as what I'm talking about. Real unfinished rosewood has an oily or waxy feel to it. What's on her guitar doesn't. I can see the color being different, because visually it's similar to what Ric uses on their guitars. But defeating that waxy feeling is something people have worked on for years. It's one of the reasons rosewood is almost always left unfinished. A finish isn't needed, and it's gets messed up by the oil.

I 100% understand where you're coming from but a neck direct from Warmoth has a nice, glossy rosewood fretboard. The one neck I've received each from Allparts and Mighty Mite, the rosewood was very dry feeling and zero glossy sheen. They both polished right up though.

Same thing with gun scales/grips. I've bought many sets of rosewood (usually cocobolo) scales for 1911s and many times the flat diamond spots where the screws to through, the wood was visibly less glossy and oily looking than where all the checkering is.

:idk:

Regardless, I have no doubt that if you spend 5 minutes with a Dremel on your daughter's fretboard, it will look much better, regardless of what it's made of. :thu:

Archived