Oh hot mama. :D

honeyiscool

• Members

But you can now, practically.

Squier's just a name. At this point, it's no better or worse than your average Fender subsidiary. Your $380 Squier's not going to be a lick worse or better than a $380 Gretsch or a $350 Charvel or a $400 Fender, even. You don't like the name, but it's sexy for some people.

Plus, say you wanted a Mustang Bass but you don't like 7.25" radius and you want it in silver sparkle. The only choice is a Squier. Say you wanted a double humbucker shortscale offset with a Strat tremolo. Your only choice is a Squier. Say you want a near vintage spec Jazzmaster w/ a moern satin neck. Your only choice is a Squier. Say you want a '59 Duo Sonic. Your only choice is a Squier. See my point?

When I first started playing, Squier was the piece of plywood garbage your mom bought you because she was too cheap to get a real Fender. NO ONE thought their Squiers were sexy and EVERYONE was anxious to upgrade to a real guitar just as soon as they could. Squier will never get beyond that stigma to several generations of guitar players.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And some of those cheap pieces of {censored} have been $225 Schecters (Damien) and $300 Fenders (CIJ Jaguar Special HH), too. Why didn't you troll those?

I'm not trolling.. I was asking about rosewood on my daughter's guitar and you decided to make it Raven vs. Squier. I'm game, but don't get pissy because I didn't fold my cards..

• Members

When I first started playing, Squier was the piece of plywood garbage your mom bought you because she was too cheap to get a real Fender. NO ONE thought their Squiers were sexy and EVERYONE was anxious to upgrade to a real guitar just as soon as they could. Squier will never get beyond that stigma to several generations of guitar players.

Well, then, what irony is it that a Squier Vista Jagmaster often sells for more than a Fender Jaguar HH or Blacktop Jaguar, which one could argue are the Fender versions of the Jagmaster?

The name Squier isn't cursed to everybody. Some Squiers, such as the mentioned Jagmaster, Supersonic, and Venus have pretty legendary followings on their own. If you don't like the name, fine, but the name's doing well for itself and at this point, you're not being much more than just the cranky old man we should ignore but can't because he can't help interjecting.

Why didn't you like Squier when you were starting out? b/c they were plywood pieces of {censored}? Fine, they're not anymore. They've improved their wares to the point that many people will consider a high end Squier over an entry level or used Fender these days. So what's your problem? That they pissed on your parade when you were 16?

• Members

And some of those cheap pieces of {censored} have been $225 Schecters (Damien) and $300 Fenders (CIJ Jaguar Special HH), too. Why didn't you troll those?

Interesting how familiar with the history of HCEG cheapie threads you are, considering how long ago some of that went on. Makes me wonder who you were before you made that name.

• Members

Squier guitars are no longer pieces of plywood garbage though. They're quality instruments in their own right.

The quality of Squier is not determined by the generations who refuse to acknowledge its progress.

• Members

Interesting how familiar with the history of HCEG cheapie threads you are, considering how long ago some of that went on. Makes me wonder who you were before you made that name.

Weak, yo. I've posted how many videos of my playing, my cat, and my own music? If I were posting here before 2011, you really think I would have been anonymous about all that?

And people read all kinds of forums and are aware of a lot of trends. It's just I didn't finally post here until 2011.

• Members

Squier guitars are no longer pieces of plywood garbage though. They're quality instruments in their own right.

The quality of Squier is not determined by the generations who refuse to acknowledge its progress.

Well, based on the ones I've tried lately (several of the CV model, so I could see if all the hype was just bull{censored} or not, one of those J. Mascis models that weighed probably 13lbs, and a plain pink Strat my daughter wanted me to play for her at GC), the generation loving Squiers needs to be introduced to some decent guitars.

• Members

Squiers have come a long way...with a couple of exceptions(the Robert Cray strat being one), I'd take a top-of-the-line Squier over an MIM Fender any day.

I think they seem hit snags when they first switch countries/OEMs, as many manufacturers would. It seems like the Mexican and US Squiers were considered of good quality, and then they moved to Japan. Then they're also considered good quality, then they moved to Korea. Here you hear about a few horror stories of plywood pieces of {censored}, and they eventually got good enough that MIK Squiers are considered at least mildly collectible, especially the more shredder models. Then when they moved to China, initially they're considered {censored}, and then now the CV and VM lines are considered top notch. Then you've got Indonesian Squiers, which had a bad rep but even they are starting to develop a solid rep.

I think with Squier, it's absolutely important to do your research and see which series you've buying and what the various details of your construction are. But then again, you have to do that for any guitar. As far as new guitars go, though, I think every lineup of Squier and Fender is pretty solid, with only a few exceptions.

• Members

one of those J. Mascis models that weighed probably 13lbs

Geez, have you ever played a Fender Jazzmaster? It seems like you need to be introduced to some decent guitars. Jazzmasters are notorious for being heavy.

And see, the condescension, here you go again. I've owned several Japanese Fenders, currently have three with one more coming in the mail. I buy Japanese Fenders because I prefer their specs and specific models over the American ones. If the American ones suited me better, I could buy Fender USA Strats like many others and save some money, too, since Japanese Fenders are often expensive. Basically, I know a decent guitar because I've had them and own them, too. Sure, I haven't tried many $1000+ guitars of other brands, but that's because Fender is the one brand I like enough to spend $1000+ on (and Rickenbacker, maaaaybe Gibson).

I love my Fenders and I love my Squiers. My Fenders are good guitars, and my Squiers are good guitars. Just accept it, will ya.

• Members

Well, based on the ones I've tried lately (several of the CV model, so I could see if all the hype was just bull{censored} or not, one of those J. Mascis models that weighed probably 13lbs, and a plain pink Strat my daughter wanted me to play for her at GC), the generation loving Squiers needs to be introduced to some decent guitars.

The Harmony Central review said the one they got was 8 lbs, 8 oz.

• Members

8 lb 8 oz sounds about right for a Jag/Jazz type of guitar. {censored}s are heavy. My Jagmaster was nearly 9 pounds. Many Fender Jags and Jazzes go way above 9 lb.

To their credit, though, they don't feel as heavy because of the excellent weight distribution.

• Members

8 lb 8 oz sounds about right for a Jag/Jazz type of guitar. {censored}s are heavy. My Jagmaster was nearly 9 pounds. Many Fender Jags and Jazzes go way above 9 lb.

To their credit, though, they don't
feel
as heavy because of the excellent weight distribution.

I know 9lb guitars, I have a couple and I don't mind them a bit. But the Mascis I tried was a friggin load to lift. And to be sure my internal scale was accurate, I picked up this 1980ish Gibson Les Paul that weighed about the same. Both were obnoxiously heavy. I've played plenty of Fender offsets over the years, so I know what yer saying about the weight, but this one was rather excessive. They should consider chambering those beasts..

• Members

I'm not trolling.. I was asking about rosewood on my daughter's guitar and you decided to make it Raven vs. Squier. I'm game, but don't get pissy because I didn't fold my cards..

Dude, spare us. The only person who made this thread Raven vs. Squier is... Raven. You always tout yourself as this straight shooter dude who speaks his mind, but here you back pedal and cry victim. Weak weak weak.

Man up and stand your ground. You hate anything/everything made in Asia (or axis of evil Asia) that could or should be made in USA. You have your right to that opinion, and I respect that.

Also, consider for a minute that some people are budget minded over a {censored}ing hobby, while others are budget minded out of necessity. Your holier than thou attitude in this thread regarding others' market choices sucks it big time. Just ease up.

• Moderators

In answer to the question......Indian rosewood.

India shares a border with China and trades shedloads of stuff with China, and India has {censored}in areas the size of the Bible belt full of rosewood of various species, they even make cheap furniture out of some species.

Let economics and geography be your guides to such answers:)

• Members

In answer to the question......Indian rosewood.

India shares a border with China and trades shedloads of stuff with China, and India has {censored}in areas the size of the Bible belt full of rosewood of various species, they even make cheap furniture out of some species.

Let economics and geography be your guides to such answers:)

OT rosewood seasoning story:

I bought new rosewood furniture whan I went to live in Hong Kong.

Pricy and Chinese traditional style with lots of dragon carvings.

Fast forward a few years, met wife-to-be in Beijing, got married and built a house in Chengdu.

Got posted to Bangkok so shipped rosewood furniture to Chinese house.

Relatives fell about laughing when it was unpacked.

Beautiful stuff but made down the road in China.

Still wife was impressed that I had the good taste to buy Chinese-style while still dating Malaysian cabin attendant (pc for airhostess)

Indian rosewood?? Maybe.

Well seasoned? oh yes indeed - after nearly 20 years not a crack or a stress or a creak or a warp.

• Members

Dude, spare us. The only person who made this thread Raven vs. Squier is... Raven. You always tout yourself as this straight shooter dude who speaks his mind, but here you back pedal and cry victim. Weak weak weak.

Man up and stand your ground. You hate anything/everything made in Asia (or axis of evil Asia) that could or should be made in USA. You have your right to that opinion, and I respect that.

Also, consider for a minute that some people are budget minded over a {censored}ing hobby, while others are budget minded out of necessity. Your holier than thou attitude in this thread regarding others' market choices sucks it big time. Just ease up.

First, get straight what I hate. I hate products from China that rip off American designs. Since Squier is fully legal in their production of Fender designs, country of origin has nothing to do with it this time. My dislike of Squiers is simply how I grew up. Squier has only recently become something not to laugh at (though I'm still not convinced of that. All the specimens I've tried have been beginner level at best..) I'm not back pedaling on anything. I don't like Squier, I'll never like Squier, but I did have an honest question about the wood and Ratae answered it for me. I'm surprised at that answer, because the Indian Rosewood on my Gibson is VASTLY different than the Indian Rosewood on her Squier..

Archived