The Ibanez RG

fretless

• Members

I just got my RG 550 two days ago!

I started out on guitar in 1992, played every style of guitar and recently had an epiphany about HSH and how it was the ideal set up for me. That led me to thinking back the some of the RGs that I played back in the '92- '94 time frame and how the feel of those guitars stuck with me. They have a very technically solid feeling to them, most mid to upper end Ibanez guitars do. I guess it's a bit of a risk ordering a 25 year old guitar off of ebay, but thankfully I got lucky. This guitar feels as tight as I remember RGs feeling and it's in surprisingly good shape.

img0438r.jpg

img0433xv.jpg

It is a bit of an odd duck. The neck is from 1987 but after doing some research it looks like this body color was not in production until '89, so I assume it's a '87 neck with a '89 body. Pickups are stock but have no printing on the bobbin tops, so perhaps the pickguard and pups are from '87 as well. The pickups are ibanez and I really enjoy the neck and bridge. I might just swap out the middle however for either a dimarzio fs1 or Area 67, I have both on hand so we'll see.

One great thing about jumbo frets is that there is lots of metal there for the long haul, so getting a fret level and crown will still leave you with a lot of fret left. The frets on this one are in good shape though. The only thing that I'm bummed about is that Ibanez has quit supplying knife edges for the Edge trem. It would have been nice to have an extra set on hand for down the road, maybe I'll put a WTB up on the spam thread.

Anyway, amazingly comfortable neck and body paired with stellar looks...I've got my new number one. And thanks Fretless for the help getting the trem arm, that showed up the same day as the guitar and it was nice to have it right there. :thu:

• Members

I've owned 4 S models but this is my first RG. It's their newer RG350 with the edge zero trem. I modified it a bit with a custom pickguard and a Dimarzio Air Zone which kicks ass for a med output pup. If you are in the market for a new pup, I highly recommend the Air Zone.

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

Archived